Majestic Princess and Crooners

Turk1

I haven’t sailed on the Majestic but there are several changes from the Royal & Regal which I’ve sailed.

Based on the Majestic deck plans Crooners was replaced by the French Bistro La Mer and Club 6 with a VIP Gaming room.  On the Sky & Enchanted La Mer has also replaced the previous Crooners space in the Piazza on deck 7.  Also on those ships the previous Club 6 location is being changed to a jazz theme (Take Five).  The Enchanted does show a smaller Crooners in the Piazza on deck 6.

I don’t see any other venues on the Majestic showing something that could be modified to a Crooners.  Hopefully someone with direct knowledge will post an answer but I haven’t read about a Crooners on the Majestic.

53 minutes ago, cruiseloverslinda said:

On our Oct. 2018, Australian cruise on the Majestic  Crooners was in the VIP gaming area

That’s interesting...maybe Princess has discovered that more passengers prefer the Crooners experience to VIP gaming? 🤔

On the Royal & Regal that same space was underutilized as a Club 6 on my cruises.  La Mer took the previous Crooners space & the Club 6/VIP gaming room area is becoming Take Five on the ships under construction.  The CG images of Take Five show a piano so maybe that’s a jazz themed version of the Rat Pack Crooners experience.

I had a chat with someone who works for Princess UK and had been filming on Majestic Princess and they confirmed that a few changes had taken place for the Aussie market:

- VIP gaming area to Crooners

- Karaoke rooms re-purposed - one was used for the film crew.

- No more Juice Bar on deck 7  - not sure what this became.

They are just showing the results of that filming on The Cruise on UK ITV which is showing the Shanghai to Sydney cruise.  Here is the new Crooners sign on Majestic and the set up of the newly delivered piano.  Will watch for any other clips over the next few shows.

maj-croonerssign.jpg

maj-croonerspiano.jpg

Edited by dides
  • Like 1

We were on Majestic Princess in November. As mentioned earlier a Crooners has replaced the former VIP Gaming area, I believe that this is only for the duration of the Australian cruises and that it will be refitted again as a VIP Gaming area when the ship returns to Asia at the end of its season. The gaming tables from this area are in storage in a room forward of the Crooners Bar and hence supports the belief that the intent is to change back. During our cruise, Crooners was in use as the Platinum/Elite Lounge in the evenings and as such tended to be very full.

A couple of other minor changes included the removal of the electronic gaming tables from the Vista Gaming Lounge and removal of re-purposing of the Bellini Juice Bar to a regular bar.

In my opinion, this ship misses an opportunity on the promenade deck by having the high end watch/jewelry shop occupy an area that by rights should be re-purposed as a Crooners. Who needs floor to ceiling windows in a shop, it is one of the best view areas on the ship?? The shop would be better relocated elsewhere and this area at the top of the Atrium used as a bar.

David

Edited by Shiprobbo

On 1/8/2019 at 4:06 PM, Shiprobbo said:

During our cruise, Crooners was in use as the Platinum/Elite Lounge in the evenings and as such tended to be very full.

@Shiprobbo Was Crooners reserved for Platinum/Elite every night, all night?  I'm neither but would like to visit Crooners from time to time in the evenings on our upcoming Majestic cruise.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:53 AM, DrOfBytes said:

@Shiprobbo Was Crooners reserved for Platinum/Elite every night, all night?  I'm neither but would like to visit Crooners from time to time in the evenings on our upcoming Majestic cruise.

No, Crooners is only platinum/elite of a couple of hours (approx 4-6 from memory).

Personally we didn't like the replacement Crooners on Majestic. It was a very odd space with some areas behind partitions so there were no views of the musicians from there. Some of the furniture - the sofas near the piano - were very uncomfortable. There were a number of TV screens, all showing sports. When the theatre show finished there was a solid progression of people right through the middle of Crooners. Yes, I know this happens in the Wheelhouse Bar on other ships but it isn't so in-your-face. The area didn't have the same warmth of decor that most Princess lounges have. It really was a very odd space, and not a good replacement for the Crooners we have enjoyed on other ships.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, the Gong Cha Tea Bar is still there.

Awesome, I'm glad they kept that in there!

Crooners does sound disappointing compared to the usual space they use for it though.

Edited by yogurtpo3

9 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Personally we didn't like the replacement Crooners on Majestic. It was a very odd space with some areas behind partitions so there were no views of the musicians from there. Some of the furniture - the sofas near the piano - were very uncomfortable. There were a number of TV screens, all showing sports. When the theatre show finished there was a solid progression of people right through the middle of Crooners. Yes, I know this happens in the Wheelhouse Bar on other ships but it isn't so in-your-face. The area didn't have the same warmth of decor that most Princess lounges have. It really was a very odd space, and not a good replacement for the Crooners we have enjoyed on other ships.

Totally agree!  We only went in once because of the atmosphere.  It wasn’t comfortable at all.  There was a nice bar outside of the Crown Grill that often had live music in the evenings that was much nicer than Crooner’s.

5 hours ago, CruisingJs said:

Totally agree!  We only went in once because of the atmosphere.  It wasn’t comfortable at all.  There was a nice bar outside of the Crown Grill that often had live music in the evenings that was much nicer than Crooner’s.

Yes, we liked that bar too although it was very small. Great music. 

And the Piazza was great, especially when they had the Beatles and Rolling Stones tribute bands. Very lively!

That Club 6 area is a poorly designed replacement for Skywalkers.

On the Majestic downunder they’ve turned it into a Crooners; on the Sky & Enchanted it’ll be Take Five.  Apparently they’re still seeking a theme that will attract more passengers to that underutilized location. 

On 1/8/2019 at 2:06 PM, Shiprobbo said:

In my opinion, this ship misses an opportunity on the promenade deck by having the high end watch/jewelry shop occupy an area that by rights should be re-purposed as a Crooners. Who needs floor to ceiling windows in a shop, it is one of the best view areas on the ship?? The shop would be better relocated elsewhere and this area at the top of the Atrium used as a bar.

David

Money talks.  

Agree that the Crooners area was a bit weird, with the high partitions blocking the view of the piano from over half the lounge.  We went a couple of times but it wasn't a go to for us.

IMO there are far too many fancy shops, especially on a 13 night cruise like we just did.  The offerings in the shops aren't going to change so why waste so much space on them when there could be more lounge space or something?

Speaking to our agent this morning on our next cruise, she told me that many people complained that La Mer was far too open and noisy for a premium specialty restaurant. It's one of the main thoroughfares so plenty of people walked through.  I really only visited in the morning or early afternoon when it operated as a sort of french cafe. I actually really liked it in that configuration because it had nice views and the large tables were well lit and perfect for card or board games with friends.

Don't get me wrong though, we loved our cruise. Its just very clear that it was designed for a different market and hastily repurposed when it was sent down to us for our summer.