Bring on baby stuff and other questions

Koolaid33

We are cruising next week with DD who is 9 months. As we plan to get her stuff packed up I was wondering if you all have left your baby items ( extra diapers, wipes, food etc.) with the porters or brought it on as carry on. I know we are allowed to bring on baby supplies but do you just let the security know that you have baby food/items inside?  I have never had a lost bag or a bag that has shown up really late while on a cruise. Of course, I will have the essentials with me. We are also going to bring our own pack N play but I was planning on leaving it with the porters. 

Also, We plan on bringing our car seat and using the caddy as a stroller. Does anyone know if I will have to take her out of her car seat when we get back on the boat in out ports to go through security? 

Please let me know if anyone has any other tips. As I am sure I will post a few more questions within the next week. 

People report slapping a luggage tag on a case of diapers and leaving it with the porters.  Yes, you will have to take her out of the car seat to go through security, just as at the airport.  Not sure I would check a bag with jars of baby food, but maybe pouches...But there are better experts here than me who will be along soon...EM

3 hours ago, Koolaid33 said:

Also, We plan on bringing our car seat and using the caddy as a stroller. Does anyone know if I will have to take her out of her car seat when we get back on the boat in out ports to go through security? 

in my experience - we didn't bring the car seat with us in ports, but we stored it on the ship - the car seat was scanned upon our initial arrival on the ship. DS was almost 4 when he started cruising, however.

The car seat also has to be scanned at the airport - put it face down on the belt, if it's a convertible. If it doesn't fit, the TSA personnel will wipe-test it for residue.

Of course, if your 9 mo is small, she could still fit into the infant bucket, since you mentioned the caddy. Mine outgrew the infant bucket by height at 7 months.... 😞

What seat do you have? I highly recommend getting a $40 Cosco Scenera NEXT at your nearest walmart. It's very light, narrow and compact, and can easily fit in the stroller like this or hanging from the back, and can be used on the plane as well:

images.jpg

kWlMJX4LlBn0diSHW3psarp13ugNuki4_lg.jpg

Vbv2yv5xIZTZofPIroOmIMUE7PuXOX28_lg.jpg

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

Itchy- We have the Keyfit 30. We also have a Summer 3D lite but we thought she would be more conformable in her infant seat.   

Essiessmom - We are bringing pouches as a backup. I think I will be able to find something for her to at in most locations. 

8 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

in my experience - we didn't bring the car seat with us in ports, but we stored it on the ship - the car seat was scanned upon our initial arrival on the ship. DS was almost 4 when he started cruising, however.

The car seat also has to be scanned at the airport - put it face down on the belt, if it's a convertible. If it doesn't fit, the TSA personnel will wipe-test it for residue.

Of course, if your 9 mo is small, she could still fit into the infant bucket, since you mentioned the caddy. Mine outgrew the infant bucket by height at 7 months.... 😞

What seat do you have? I highly recommend getting a $40 Cosco Scenera NEXT at your nearest walmart. It's very light, narrow and compact, and can easily fit in the stroller like this or hanging from the back, and can be used on the plane as well:

images.jpg

kWlMJX4LlBn0diSHW3psarp13ugNuki4_lg.jpg

Vbv2yv5xIZTZofPIroOmIMUE7PuXOX28_lg.jpg

That is adorable 🙂

• Like 1

I would pack the majority of "baby stuff" into a suitcase, and put the luggage tag on that.  Carry what you will need for the 1st day onboard, in case there's a delay with the bags....we've had bags delivered while we were at late seating a couple times....

The baggage folks prefer things with handles, so boxes of stuff is harder for them to handle.  You can use the empty suitcase for any souvenirs you bring home, or dirty clothes (which never pack as small as clean ones!)

We packed the baby stuff in a suitcase and checked it. It always made it to our room, no problem. We put what we needed for the first day in a backpack and carried it on with us. We did have to take our baby out of the stroller going through security, but it wasn't a huge deal for us. Also, we didn't take the car seat with us at all. We left it at home. Our baby was 8 months at the time, and was big enough to hang out in the stroller for a bit without the car seat, so that was one less thing we had to take with. That certainly made our lives a bit easier. 

• 2 weeks later...

We also have the keyfit 30 and are planning to take it on our upcoming cruise. My son will be 6 months. We plan to take the Chicco caddy with it to use as a stroller so we don't have to carry the carseat in the airport or in ports. We'll have taxi rides to/from the airport so we want to have the seat for that. I'm curious about why you decided to bring your own pack n play? I would like to bring ours just because I know how it works, it's clean, etc., but it just seemed so much easier to use the ship-provided one. We also have to fly so that's another complication.