Hiring a car in Tauranga for the day

8 minutes ago, Mustangsally58 said:

Can anyone point me in the best direction for car hire when we arrive in Tauranga. We would like to drive to Rotorua but don't want to be tied down to the ship excursions. 

Thanks 

I’ve booked a car with Rite Price rentals. They have a shuttle that picks up up from the dock.

We have used Pegasus Rentals a few times. They bring the vehicle to the wharf gate and are waiting for you when you disembark. On your return, they told us to lock the vehicle and give the keys to the guard on the gate.

We took photos of each side of the vehicle so we could prove there was no damage when we returned it, but they did not claim there was any. A friend was 'stung' by a car rental company in the UK several years ago when they claimed that the vehicle he had hired had a lot of damage. He had left the country by then, and because they had a copy of his credit card, they were able to charge him many thousands of dollars. Since then, we look at the vehicle carefully before we accept it , then take photos when we return it so we don't get caught. 

I hired a car last month from Avis in Tauranga.  We were fortunate to have an overnight stay so were able to use the car the following morning.  I booked through vroomvroomvroom and it was a lovely new mazda 3 auto cost me $54 NZ for the day.  

We took the local bus to collect the car and after returning but if time is short I would suggest a taxi.  The pick up location was jean batten drive Mt Manguanui but not the airport.  If you pick up or drop off at the airport there are extra fees.  The ship actually docks in Mt Manguanui.   The companies at the port that hire cars were in the $120-140 range for same car.  

Its an easy drive down to Rotorua.  We spent $38 on petrol so for 3 people a great deal.

I can highly recommend Rite Price.  Very professional and reliable.  They picked us up and dropped us off at the dock exactly as requested, gave excellent information and directions and the price was very reasonable.  We drove to Rotorua, easy drive and plenty of time for seeing thermal parks etc.. We used Pegasus several years ago and they were good but no longer operate at Tauranga.

Why waste your time with car hire and the hassle and burden that comes with it.

You can still do the shore excursion and let the guide know you wish to explore on your own and ask for the meeting point of when and where to return if you do not want to be part of the group. That is what I have done on numerous occasions.

I can understand not wanting to be with a guide. There is nothing worst than standing around a place and listening to a 15 minute lecture all to satisfy a guides ego. Listening to hot air and waffle is by no means a good holiday. You went for a holiday and to see the sights not a classroom lecture.

That said I do find car hire the worst. You have to find parking, deal with congestion, and queue up. At least with an excursion you know the price, the ship will wait and if you are a responsible adult you have the ability to wander from the group and let the guide know that you are going off and will return on schedule.

7 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

Why waste your time with car hire and the hassle and burden that comes with it.

You can still do the shore excursion and let the guide know you wish to explore on your own and ask for the meeting point of when and where to return if you do not want to be part of the group. That is what I have done on numerous occasions.

I can understand not wanting to be with a guide. There is nothing worst than standing around a place and listening to a 15 minute lecture all to satisfy a guides ego. Listening to hot air and waffle is by no means a good holiday. You went for a holiday and to see the sights not a classroom lecture.

That said I do find car hire the worst. You have to find parking, deal with congestion, and queue up. At least with an excursion you know the price, the ship will wait and if you are a responsible adult you have the ability to wander from the group and let the guide know that you are going off and will return on schedule.

Most people wanting to hire a car in Tauranga want to go to Rotorua and maybe the 'Hobbit village' as well. Is is super easy to find parking, there is no congestion and no queues on a tour to those places. Good reasons to go by hire car are the cost (a fraction of the ship's tour) and you can set your own schedule and maybe visit additional places in the day. In Tauranga, often the ships leave at night (maybe 9pm or later) so there is plenty of time to get back from a DIY tour.

8 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

I should add that is how I have always done it on shore excursions around New Zealand if there was not adequate public transport to go on my own.

Not everyone is physically able to do it your way, nor even on a ships tour.  My sister uses a walking stick and would definately not be able to manage public transport and getting up into a ships tour bus can be a challenge.

Getting into a car and being driven place to place, being dropped at the door can make travelling much more enjoyable.  The drive  to Rotorus is mostly on excellent highways, nothing like trying to drive in a bigger city, more like a bigger country town.

The ability to hire a car can make the difference between seeing a place or staying on the ship.

Parking was not a problem anywhere and time was our own.

The OP asked a question that we have tried to answer.

Edited by Tara Jane

Would recommend rite price. Just came back today from NZ and used them. Great service, closest to the Dock and no issues. 

Make sure you book online in advance.

We did our own thing and saved more than half  what the ship wanted for the same tour!

9 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

I should add that is how I have always done it on shore excursions around New Zealand if there was not adequate public transport to go on my own.

We are also planning on going to the Polyesian spa on the way back from Hobbiton. None of the ship tours do both

We have used Pegasus twice. 

The first time, the car was waiting for us at the pier and we returned it to the pier.

The second time, they provided a shuttle (mini bus) at the pier to take you back to their office (10 minute drive) to collect the car and we had to return to their office. 

I would recommend them. 

52 minutes ago, Fletch1 said:

We have used Pegasus twice. 

The first time, the car was waiting for us at the pier and we returned it to the pier.

The second time, they provided a shuttle (mini bus) at the pier to take you back to their office (10 minute drive) to collect the car and we had to return to their office. 

I would recommend them. 

We have used Pegasus twice in Tauranga and several times in other NZ cities. Good every time. 👍

• 2 weeks later...

I hired a car from Hertz in Tauranga, drove to Rotorua and back around the lake, stopped at Papamoa for lunch. Just got an Uber to/from Hertz. 

Definitely recommend hiring a car there, lots to see around Mount Maunganui and Rotorua and the drive to Rotorua is beautiful. It was pouring rain the day we went last month but still lovely.

4 minutes ago, nicksb said:

I hired a car from Hertz in Tauranga, drove to Rotorua and back around the lake, stopped at Papamoa for lunch. Just got an Uber to/from Hertz. 

Definitely recommend hiring a car there, lots to see around Mount Maunganui and Rotorua and the drive to Rotorua is beautiful. It was pouring rain the day we went last month but still lovely.

Although we have used Hertz in other countries, I wouldn't hire from them in Tauranga unless the price was a lot cheaper than the competing companies. The ones I have looked at either brought the car to the wharf or picked you up and took you to their depot nearby. It's likely the total cost with Hertz (the cost of the Uber and the bother of booking it) would be more expensive than the others.