Best Cozumel Beach

Pa_cruisers

Most of the popular beach clubs on Cozumel are lined up along one side of the island, so the sand and water quality are very similar. What differentiates them are facilities and business model - large pay as you go clubs to smaller, all-inclusive clubs.  For a relaxing, nice, uncrowded beach either choose a small club like Nacho Cocom (SO for about $55 each and limited to130 guests per day) or go farther away to Playa Palancar.

If you want sand, the best beach is Playa Palancar.  If you want snorkeling, the best place to snorkel from shore we found is Money Bar.  We spent two weeks in Cozy in July and looked at them all (except Sanchos where we'd been twice previously).

Both are free to get in, but you should buy something since you are using their facilities.  Palancar had strong drinks and good food.  Money Bar had strong drinks and great food.

We were just at Money Bar while stopped in Cozy on our NYE cruise.  Spent about three hours there.  I had two margaritas, wife had a couple of drinks.  We shared shrimp ceviche, squid rings, and quac.  Bill was $40 American.  Food was amazing.

• Like 2

Money Bar is free, you just have to buy food or drinks to use their facilities.  BUT it does not have a beach, it has a raised sand area, and then rocky shore with snorkeling.  

If you want a "sandy beach" you will have to travel south on the island much farther.  

2014_CarnivalMAGIC_Cozumel_2-L.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pa_cruisers said:

Thanks for your reply... the money bar looks beautiful... do we have to make reservations or is it on a first come first serve basis?  

first come, first serve.

It doesn't have a beach at all, but it does have a lot of chaises - mostly in the sun; and a lot of table seating with umbrellas. We were there in mid-December, the weather was too cold to swim and the water was too stormy. But we sat on the chaises and just chilled for a couple of hours. I didn't notice any buzz whatsoever after my frozen margarita... (I got a drink at Blue Kay in Costa Maya and it literally incapacitated me).

Our bill for a frozen margarita, mojito and a coke bottle was $15.

Bathrooms were great - clean and huge.

Taxi was $12 each way for the 4 of us.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, paleskin said:

How much does it cost for a cab from the pier to Palancar?

Current fares will be posted on a board near the cab line, but I seem to recall the fare being about $25 each way - fare covers up to 4 passengers sharing the cab.

• 4 weeks later...

We've been to San Francisco Beach twice.  Not sure how it is now, but when we went there it was free to use the beach as long as you spent at least $10/person on food or drinks.  Getting chips and guac along with a few frosty drinks didn't take long to hit that mark.

Our preferred beach these days is Nachi Cocom.  Only $55/day per person for all inclusive food, drinks, relaxing lounge chair under a Palapa as well as a swimming pool. They will only book 135 people each day to keep it from being over-crowded.  We'll be there again in a few weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

we went to both Playa Palancar and Money Bar in one day.  We really enjoyed both.  The only thing I didn't like about Palancar was their loungers were made of wood so they were really uncomfortable to sit on but that was a couple of years ago so maybe they have different ones now.

This July we will probably just go to the Money Bar since it's closer and we don't get into Cozumel until noon.  Hopefully it doesn't get too crowded in July?  I would imagine it would be off season for them?

4 hours ago, Emmabelle said:

we went to both Playa Palancar and Money Bar in one day.  We really enjoyed both.  The only thing I didn't like about Palancar was their loungers were made of wood so they were really uncomfortable to sit on but that was a couple of years ago so maybe they have different ones now.

This July we will probably just go to the Money Bar since it's closer and we don't get into Cozumel until noon.  Hopefully it doesn't get too crowded in July?  I would imagine it would be off season for them?

Why would the middle of the summer be the off season for anything in Cozumel?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, h_blond2 said:

Why would the middle of the summer be the off season for anything in Cozumel?

Because it is hot and humid. Hurricane season.

It is low season for land visitors. There are more ships than there used to be since there are less doing TA but not as many as in winter.

Edited by c-leg5

3 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Because it is hot and humid. It is low season for land visitors.

Isn't it always hot and humid? :classic_laugh: You have to excuse my teacher mentality when it comes to vacations....summer is the only time that I can go on extended vacations and I forget that other people travel at other times. :classic_smile:

3 minutes ago, h_blond2 said:

Isn't it always hot and humid? :classic_laugh: You have to excuse my teacher mentality when it comes to vacations....summer is the only time that I can go on extended vacations and I forget that other people travel at other times. :classic_smile:

Heat and humidity are all relative depending on where you have come from and are used to. In winter it is cooler earlier and later in the day and there is less precipitation. 

This link gives a good overview

https://weatherspark.com/y/14482/Average-Weather-in-San-Miguel-de-Cozumel-Mexico-Year-Round

That said, cruise ship prices certainly don't reflect low season pricing during the summer!

20 hours ago, h_blond2 said:

I think most people want to go there in the winter to escape the crappy weather where they are from.  We too have a teacher in our traveling party so that's why we are going in July. 😀

Edited by Emmabelle
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Emmabelle said:

I think most people want to go there in the winter to escape the crappy weather where they are from.  We too have a teacher in our traveling party so that's why we are going in July. 😀

• 2 weeks later...