Pride of America - bringing own snorkel equipment

papa B me

Has anyone ever taken their own snorkel equipment when sailing on the Pride of America.  We have cars rented for Honolulu precruise, Maui, and Kauai.  Thought it might be nice to have the equipment in the car while exploring but wondered if it would be better to rent equipment as we go.  We are flying first class so can take plenty of luggage and are in a suite so storage on the ship isn't an issue but at the same time don't want to take it if not much a chance to use it.  Any snorkeling thoughts appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

We always pack our own mask and snorkel - so much more sanitary.  We purchased ours from professional dive shops and know the fit is correct. I also pack my own vest. 

If given the opportunity, snorkel at Molokini, a sunken volcano - amazing experience.

Darcy

Cruised HA this past December/January and took my own snorkel equipment - had a car on Maui (went to Honolua Bay) and Honolulu (went to Hanauma Bay) and took a snorkel tour in Kaui to the Napili Cliffs. I always take my own snorkel gear and it's never been a problem.

Definitely take your own gear.  Renting quality gear can cost a bunch (was $19 on Maui) and you have to spend precious time going to get it.  If you're taking a suitcase, the gear doesn't take up so much space.  On Maui, I really enjoyed the snorkeling off of a wayside park on the west side.  Turtles just a few yards off the coast and the currents not strong at all.   I didn't have a car so I walked 45 minutes each way (the walk was pleasant, not a lot of traffic and and ocean views most of the way if you take the right route).  But if you have a car, there was plenty of free parking at the park too.    This is the park...  https://thehotflashpacker.com/where-to-see-turtles-in-maui-wahikuli-wayside-park/