Trip insurance

mafiadon

I have never gotten  trip insurance before, and would like to this time as my mother is not well and 93 years old. Can someone give me some advice on where to research and purchase other then Carnival's insurance. Thanks for any help.  Linda

Questions

1. Is your mother going? or do you just want coverage to be able to cancel if she takes a turn for the worse?

If she is going, then the Carnival insurance may be the best option because the cost is not age related

If your mother is not well, I believe (verify this) pre-existing conditions apply to her also, even if she's not traveling. So make sure you get pre-existing coverage waivers

6 hours ago, mafiadon said:

I have never gotten  trip insurance before, and would like to this time as my mother is not well and 93 years old. Can someone give me some advice on where to research and purchase other then Carnival's insurance. Thanks for any help.  Linda

I'd suggest that you contact the folks at 

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

but CALL them, and explain precisely what your concerns are.  

Don't rely upon the online summaries of policies, as the find print matters, and there can be a lot of confusion about how "pre-existing conditions in non-traveling family members" is handled.

We have a similar problem with DH's mother, who is almost 100.  

Note:  We also pay extra for "Cancel For Any Reason" (CFAR) coverage.

That means, in our situation, that IF MIL mumbled something like, "I just don't feel right" - at age almost 100! - then we probably would NOT want to leave for an extended/very distant trip, even if no physician was *yet* prepared to say we "should not leave now because... etc...."

In that case, with our type of policy, we'd get back 75% (as a check, not any type of credit for a specific type of trip possibly with a time limit).  Ditto if she said that while we were gone; we could return, and get 75% pro-rated.  We doubt it will happen, but it's very comforting for all of us to have that extra coverage.

We get policies through TIS, from Travel Insured (the actual insurer), and they've paid claims *promptly*, including two large claims.  That's when it matters!

GC

• Like 1