Thoughts on this

BLJ1

Hello, I have a few questions so here goes, thinking of booking a Cruise on the Marella Discovery, never sailed with Marella before, any advice etc greatly appreciated.  This is the Itinerary, the date is Nov 7 for 14 Nights, I'm wondering about the weather and if these places are safe to visit ?  :- 

• Aqaba (for Petra), Jordan
  • Port Rashid (for Dubai), Dubai and Emirates
  • Manama, Bahrain
  • Doha, Qatar
  • Sir Bani Yas (Abu Dhabi), Dubai and Emirates
  • Port Zayed (for Abu Dhabi), Dubai and Emirates
  • Khasab, Oman
  • Port Sultan Qaboos (for Muscat), Oman 

HIya,

Firstly, cruising across different companies (I've done a few, see my signature for full list) the main experience is the same and just the little differences change i.e. amenities, shows, crew, size of the ship etc.

As with this Cruise mentioned, the ports are all safe, don't do silly stuff like go out at night on your own etc, normal rules apply. Tourist is big business out there in the middle east and doing ships excursions would guarantee the best experience. The weather will be nice and warm around 20-30 degrees C. No heat wave stuff but a lot warmer than the UK and dryer than the Welsh valleys.

Anything else, just ask. (My Grandeur of the Seas cruise is the sister ship with Royal Caribbean and I'm doing Discovery 2 this summer, so can find out anything ship related if not already owned.)

16 hours ago, BLJ1 said:

Hello, I have a few questions so here goes, thinking of booking a Cruise on the Marella Discovery, never sailed with Marella before, any advice etc greatly appreciated.  This is the Itinerary, the date is Nov 7 for 14 Nights, I'm wondering about the weather and if these places are safe to visit ?  :- 

• Manama, Bahrain
  • Doha, Qatar
  • Sir Bani Yas (Abu Dhabi), Dubai and Emirates
  • Port Zayed (for Abu Dhabi), Dubai and Emirates
  • Khasab, Oman
  • Port Sultan Qaboos (for Muscat), Oman 

Hi neighbour 

We were on the ill fated cruise last November and are looking to book this cruise again as we missed some of the ports. All inclusive was brilliant and found no need to upgrade to the premium unless there are specific brands you need. Adult only so no screaming kids on the ship or the plane 🙂 We go to this area often and love it. Temperature was mid,high 20's everyday - no rain 🙂 - ships tours can be done cheaper on your own but not by much - we found them very reasonable. All the stops are safe whichever way you tour them. We had an ocean view cabin and had more storage than you could shake a stick at. Food in MDR was good, but did find the food in the buffet in the evening to be lukewarm at best. Staff very friendly and accomodating - captain visible and chatty. We're leaving the booking to nearer the time to hopefully snag us another good deal (12 weeks before sailing unless TA's have a sale sooner)  - but that does have its risks in getting exactly what you want. Paid for extra legroom seats on the plane which allowed us to book the seats at time of booking and was also a good flight - just a little delayed going as it had to be de-iced first. Go for it - for the price its unbeatable.

Thank you both for your replies. This is looking good at the moment, the other side of it is that we booked last year for a stay and cruise to Corfu with Marella in September, we booked as my partner always get problems booking dates off, however he's now going self employed sodas are not a problem. It's also my 60th and  don't really want to be in Corfu for that. I've worked out the prices and to be honest it's working out slightly cheaper for the Arabian cruise (that's what TUI are calling it).  One of the main factors for me is weather I like it hot !! 

45 minutes ago, BLJ1 said:

Thank you both for your replies. This is looking good at the moment, the other side of it is that we booked last year for a stay and cruise to Corfu with Marella in September, we booked as my partner always get problems booking dates off, however he's now going self employed sodas are not a problem. It's also my 60th and  don't really want to be in Corfu for that. I've worked out the prices and to be honest it's working out slightly cheaper for the Arabian cruise (that's what TUI are calling it).  One of the main factors for me is weather I like it hot !! 

Last year I booked an Ocean view 12 weeks out and got it for £1000 from my TA while the TUI price was about £1250. At the moment it is £1356 from him and £1418 from TUI online. It does fluctuate depending on demand and hopefully it will go down much further with my TA nearer the time. The gamble is, of course, that it may not go down as far as it did last year, and demand maybe higher this year keeping prices up. The gamble will be no OV cabins left -. Really want to do this cruise again so I have to ask myself what I am prepared to pay? The alternatives around are quite expensive and we did thoroughly enjoy our cruise last year albeit with the stops taken out - decisions, decisions - those first world problems 🙂

Edited by lexdisic

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone, finally decided and have swapped the Corfu cruise for the Arabian 1 in November on Discovery, what a performance to do this !!!  Will have to look for something else to do now for my 60th, friend of mine trying to get me to do a zip wire in North Wales !! who knows might go for it. Lexdisic have you booked this ?, I've been looking for Roll Call but can't find one...

Its my 60th in October (1959 was a good year BLJ1 lol).  We have booked an 8 night Palma to Malaga cruise on Discovery 2 sailing 2nd November but am working on hubby to book the previous week too so we will be on board on my birthday.  Would have loved to do something more exotic but sadly hubby cannot get insurance for outside Europe.

I've done a very similar itinerary three times, not with Marella,  but with Royal Caribbean and Costa. Its perfectly safe in those ports during the day, and Dubai/Abu Dhabi in particular are safe at night, in fact busier than during the day after the sun goes down. The weather is perfect at that time of year, so nice to feel that sun on your body in November!   We've not yet been on Marella,  but sailed on Discovery three times when it was Splendour of the Seas . It's a lovely ship ( looking forward to going on it/her next summer) and Im sure you'll love both the ship and itinerary 

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. I know I've done the right thing, I've always sailed with Celebrity or the Royal Caribbean, but judging by the reviews I don't think there's going to be that much difference. I will be happy to come back with a Tan and memories... Thanks again and hope you all enjoy your next holidays 😎XX 

There is a big difference in the quality of the food between Celebrity and Marella (imho), the cabins are less well appointed and you are only allowed one towel per day. This is more than made up for by the quality of entertainment and atmosphere on Marella which is far better than Celebrity. Hope you have a fabulous time 

Thank you, I'm sure I can manage with 1 towel a day and as for the food I'm trying hard to lose weight so that might help just a little bit 😏lol....I'm looking forward to it. 

Thanks again 🤞

You get a bath towel and hand towel per person in each cabin and a bath/shower mat If you leave these on the bathroom floor after use they will be exchanged However TUI ask to be kind to the planet for you to reuse towels etc if possible Does anyone change their towels at home daily? I doubt it.

you also get one beach towel per person and if this is left on the bathroom floor it will also be exchanged We would only normally do this if we've been to a beach and after a couple of days lying on it on a sunbed

If you have a deluxe cabin it will be better appointed - you get what you pay for and the cabins have plenty of wardrobe space and drawers

Best entertainment of any of the cruise lines as shown by voters on cruise critic

On 5/6/2019 at 2:06 PM, campolady said:

Its my 60th in October (1959 was a good year BLJ1 lol).  We have booked an 8 night Palma to Malaga cruise on Discovery 2 sailing 2nd November but am working on hubby to book the previous week too so we will be on board on my birthday.  Would have loved to do something more exotic but sadly hubby cannot get insurance for outside Europe.

campo lady it was my 60th birthday in April!  -1959 produced some great women.  I didn’t go cruising for by birthday because Holy Week got in the way. I am saving my Greek Isles trip for September.  I am still longing to try a Marella cruise from Malaga though.  It was a comment from you that made me consider it.  I just Have to find a week free to go for it.  

6 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

campo lady it was my 60th birthday in April!  -1959 produced some great women.  I didn’t go cruising for by birthday because Holy Week got in the way. I am saving my Greek Isles trip for September.  I am still longing to try a Marella cruise from Malaga though.  It was a comment from you that made me consider it.  I just Have to find a week free to go for it.  

1959 was definitely a vintage year ollienbertsmum!!!  Marella only sailed from Malaga in March this year plus are doing a Trans Atlantic cruise starting there in November.  Next year they are just sailing from Malaga in March and April.  Such a shame they have stopped Summer sailings from the city but we are hoping these may resume in 2021.  Congratulations on your 60th and have a wonderful Greek Islands cruise in September..

• Like 1

Yes 1959  definitely produced some wonderful women  😉. Already getting excited for my Cruise.  Marella sounds good, looking forward to the entertainment as was getting a bit bored with the other cruise ships...only 6months to wait 😨… 6 months to lose weight....still no Roll Call ahh well just might have the ship to ourselves lol 

• Like 1