NCL and Canada

April42749

In discussion with a friend yesterday about "entering the US" I mentioned that you cannot enter Canada if you have a felony on your record.  I know this information is on "the computer" so "Canada" knows who isn't allowed.  And I assume that when you check in...the agents at the pier have access to this information so they know who cannot board the ship.  I said "assume".

I doubt most people are aware of this regulation.  If you had a felony 10 years ago and lived a clean life....why would you even worry about this affecting your entrance to Canada?  But I know that as a passenger.....I am responsible for knowing things.

If you show up at the pier...and they somehow check the master computer that knows everything, are you denied boarding?

And, if by some chance you are let on the ship....do "they" make you stay on the ship in Canada?

Sailed out of New York on a Canada New England cruise last year.  Sometime the evening before the first Canada stop in Halifax a letter was delivered to suite advising a passenger that they must meet at a certain place that next morning at a specific time to meet with the Canadian authorities.  The letter wasn't specific and this wasn't about citizenship.  I don't have the letter so I don't know exactly what it said.  This was earlier than all the other passengers had to meet to have passports checked.  That passenger was not allowed off the ship in either Canadian port but the rest of the family was.  Not sure if this was a felony or a lesser charge in the US.  The passenger didn't try to get off the ship so I don't know if the room card was flagged in some way.  Curiously we had no issue driving into Canada from Skagway less than a year before.  No issue getting on in NYC.

Edited by daffodiliaz

Here is an Immigration Lawyer's website that goes through the ups and downs of what is and what isn't an offence that will bar you from making it through immigration.  These are the equivalent Canadian to American terms for level of crime.

summary offenses, which are minor offenses roughly equivalent to misdemeanors;

• indictable offenses, which are more serious offenses and are roughly equivalent to felonies;
  • hybrid offenses, which can be considered either summary or indictable based on the context. (explained on each website)

https://immigrationcanada.pro/criminal-issues/

Here is the official Government of Canada website

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/inadmissibility/overcome-criminal-convictions.html

These sites generally are talking about immigration to the country but they apply equally to visiting.

10 hours ago, April42749 said:

In discussion with a friend yesterday about "entering the US" I mentioned that you cannot enter Canada if you have a felony on your record.  I know this information is on "the computer" so "Canada" knows who isn't allowed.  And I assume that when you check in...the agents at the pier have access to this information so they know who cannot board the ship.  I said "assume".

I doubt most people are aware of this regulation.  If you had a felony 10 years ago and lived a clean life....why would you even worry about this affecting your entrance to Canada?  But I know that as a passenger.....I am responsible for knowing things.

If you show up at the pier...and they somehow check the master computer that knows everything, are you denied boarding?

And, if by some chance you are let on the ship....do "they" make you stay on the ship in Canada?

1st It is not impossible to enter Canada with a felony on your record but it takes a lot of work to do so legally. Even a misdemeanor DUI will keep you out of Canada sometimes.

2nd NCL does not have access to any criminal records and they will not check anything. You will not be denied boarding.

Canada will get the manifest a few days after the ship sails. Anyone they need to interview will not be allowed off the ship until after the interview. Sometimes you don't get to get off the ship.

Yea.  My brother got denied for a DUI...However, how does this work...Thousands of Canadians head south each year (Snowbirds) towards Texas and Florida.   Certainly, some of them must get busted on occasion for DUI in the US.  How do they get back home again?   

6 minutes ago, roger001 said:

Yea.  My brother got denied for a DUI...However, how does this work...Thousands of Canadians head south each year (Snowbirds) towards Texas and Florida.   Certainly, some of them must get busted on occasion for DUI in the US.  How do they get back home again?   

Immigration laws apply to non-residents, not legal residents and citizens.

As a Canadian here is the answer on why a DUI can keep you out of Canada.  In many States a DUI is treated as a misdemeanor.  In all Canadian Provinces and Territories it is a criminal offense, read felony.  We compare whatever your past offense was to our criminal code and if it comes up as a criminal offense in our books it is treated as such.  Now if you have been convicted of adultery you have nothing to fear about entering Canada.  It isn't an offense here. 

• Like 1

In Canada, if an individual with a criminal record (DUI or otherwise) wishes to cross into the US, he/she must apply for an I94 card which can be granted for a period of time.  That period varies...could be 6 months to years.  Nevertheless, this is how one can enter the US.  For a US citizen to enter Canada, there must be a similar situation.  

I realize this may not help, however, perhaps more can be taken from this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 9:33 AM, Gunner22aa said:

As a Canadian here is the answer on why a DUI can keep you out of Canada.  In many States a DUI is treated as a misdemeanor.  In all Canadian Provinces and Territories it is a criminal offense, read felony.  We compare whatever your past offense was to our criminal code and if it comes up as a criminal offense in our books it is treated as such.  Now if you have been convicted of adultery you have nothing to fear about entering Canada.  It isn't an offense here. 

What is adultery? In canadian?