Different ship taking Grand Princess place?

Banditdog

14 minutes ago, Banditdog said:

Does anyone know if San Francisco Port is replacing the Grand Princess Ship?  Moving her?  Her replacement?

Princess is replacing the Grand in San Francisco with the Star Princess.

I believe Princess is transferring the Grand to P&O sometime in the next year or so.

12 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

The port has nothing to do with where princess puts their ships. 

I guess i meant to ask if Princess Cruise Line is replacing the Grand Princess Ship to a new port since she has been cruising from San Francisco Port for several years now.  I was hoping to cruise with a drifferent ship next time i leave from San Francisco

26 minutes ago, Banditdog said:

I guess i meant to ask if Princess Cruise Line is replacing the Grand Princess Ship to a new port since she has been cruising from San Francisco Port for several years now.  I was hoping to cruise with a drifferent ship next time i leave from San Francisco

See post #3........

Eventually she will be leaving the fleet.

We are sailing on the Grand out of San Francisco in March. We were on her the first cruise we ever took. I enjoyed the ship, but having sailed on some newer ships since then, the Grand really is showing her age. I am not surprised that is being moved to P and O. 

1 hour ago, RMMariner said:

We are sailing on the Grand out of San Francisco in March. We were on her the first cruise we ever took. I enjoyed the ship, but having sailed on some newer ships since then, the Grand really is showing her age. I am not surprised that is being moved to P and O. 

Its not

Golden and Star are going to P&O in 2020 and 2021 Respectively.

However in 2020 Grand is moving to Los Angeles while Star is based San Francisco.

This is what Media Releases and Current Deployment Show.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RDC1 said:

Princess is replacing the Grand in San Francisco with the Star Princess.

I believe Princess is transferring the Grand to P&O sometime in the next year or so.

Your source of this information is???

As mentioned above Princess has officially announced both Golden and Star Princess are being transferred to P&O Australia. Golden was supposed to go in early/mid 2020 but will now be in Los Angeles thru July of that year. 

Grand is going to drydock this spring to do significant backroom repairs just a fairly short time from the previous one. Could be simply necessity for a 21 year old ship--or a prerequisite for meeting terms of sale? Not likely given the two sister ships leaving, but rumors must be mongered...

In an earlier thread on this oft-repeated topic someone claiming to have access to this info stated that Princess' plans are to no longer have a ship based in San Francisco year-round; possibly they will have a ship that spends the rest of the year in the South Pacific do a short r/t SF to Alaska season only (as was done by Sea Princess prior to Grand being deployed year-round there).  Probably not what the OP wants to hear--but again this particular topic can only be answered with gossip, at least until Fall/Winter 2020/21 is released in three or four months. Though some known movements among the fleet do bode for a second Royal-class ship going to the west coast sometime in 2021, probably resulting in a further cascade of re-deployments even beyond Golden and Star departing. So stay tuned for the next installment of "As Grand Princess Turns" 

3 hours ago, fishywood said:

Though some known movements among the fleet do bode for a second Royal-class ship going to the west coast sometime in 2021.

Regal Princess?

Presumably after her 2020-2021 Sydney Deployment.

14 hours ago, fishywood said:

Your source of this information is???

As mentioned above Princess has officially announced both Golden and Star Princess are being transferred to P&O Australia. Golden was supposed to go in early/mid 2020 but will now be in Los Angeles thru July of that year. 

Grand is going to drydock this spring to do significant backroom repairs just a fairly short time from the previous one. Could be simply necessity for a 21 year old ship--or a prerequisite for meeting terms of sale? Not likely given the two sister ships leaving, but rumors must be mongered...

In an earlier thread on this oft-repeated topic someone claiming to have access to this info stated that Princess' plans are to no longer have a ship based in San Francisco year-round; possibly they will have a ship that spends the rest of the year in the South Pacific do a short r/t SF to Alaska season only (as was done by Sea Princess prior to Grand being deployed year-round there).  Probably not what the OP wants to hear--but again this particular topic can only be answered with gossip, at least until Fall/Winter 2020/21 is released in three or four months. Though some known movements among the fleet do bode for a second Royal-class ship going to the west coast sometime in 2021, probably resulting in a further cascade of re-deployments even beyond Golden and Star departing. So stay tuned for the next installment of "As Grand Princess Turns" 

Now that is interesting when I was just on the Grand in December a ships officer said that Grand was getting transferred to P&O and the Star was going to replace her in SF.  Had previously heard this while on a cruise in early 2018.

Since Star is not transferring until the end of 2021, that leaves 3 years for her to sail out of SF.

Since the Grand is the least desireable, as well as the oldest, of the Grand class ships they might have decided that it was not worthwhile converting her for P&O and decided to substitute Star instead.

Edited by RDC1

21 hours ago, Banditdog said:

Does anyone know if San Francisco Port is replacing the Grand Princess Ship?  Moving her?  Her replacement?

yes, The Carnival Miracle :)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2615369-miracle-to-sail-out-of-san-francisco-in-2020/?tab=comments#comment-56372627

Edited by need2cruisesoon

13 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

Now that is interesting when I was just on the Grand in December a ships officer said that Grand was getting transferred to P&O and the Star was going to replace her in SF.

People have posted being told the same thing by a ship's officer about Caribbean Princess and at least one of the Panamax ships (Island or Coral) as well. I think it is just the company line to hype the new builds which are coming fast and furious: in the early part of the '00s there were five ships launched in rapid succession (Caribbean, Diamond, Sapphire, Coral and Island) and after a decade-plus of only three more, Princess will have seven new builds between 2013 and 2023. Unless they plan to elevate to Carnival or RCI-level berth capacity then more ships will be leaving, no question. Will Princess save a "smaller" ship to homeport in non-megaship cities (only one Princess currently does is San Francisco), or to be able to visit smaller ports in the South Pacific or Eastern Med? For now we can only guess if any ships older than the Crown/Emerald/Ruby triplets will be in the fleet five years from now.