Car rental in Honolulu? Which one?

momphoto

Wanting to rent a car for our 3 day pre cruise the end of April.  Which car rental company is the best to use?  Dollar has the best prices, but it is the lowest rated?  I assume they all have shuttles from the airport?

I have the same question.  We are thinking of arriving and just shuttling from the airport and then picking the car up Thursday and returning it Saturday before the cruise.  Or dropping it off Friday night and then just taking a Lyft to the pier.  Trying to figure out what is best logistically.  We are staying at the Royal Hawaiian.  The nearby Avis is of course more expensive than the airport and also we worry about the neighborhood rental place having what we need (a minivan).  Any recent cruisers renting or have rented on Oahu?

Edited by Beachiekeen

We’ve rented from National before with good success. We are renting from them again in September. We did pay more for hotel parking than we paid for the rental car. We returned the car the night before leaving for our cruise & took the local bus back to the hotel. We had a bus for 15 of us (& luggage) in the morning already arranged 

We normally always rent with National, however, I have learned that in Honolulu there is no National location downtown so it would mean  returning the car to the airport and then cabbing it to the pier.  Trying to figure out the cost but from checking around, it appears that will run at least $30 bucks for cab. 

National does not have a shuttle from airport to the pier I confirmed that with them today.    Have learned that sister company Enterprise has locations downtown but not all locations are open on Sunday, which is the day we must board the Radiance of the Seas.  Enterprise say that none of the downtown locations have shuttles to the pier either.    The Enterprise locations that are open on Sundays, close at either 12 noon or 3 pm.  So we are in the process of scoping out the various  Enterprise downtown locations and will settle on the one closest to the pier with the best city bus connection and then my husband will drop me off at the pier with the luggage  and then proceed to drop off the car at the chosen Enterprise location and then take the city bus to the pier for $2.75.     We will have been in Honolulu for 4 days prior to the cruise on May 5 so having the car is quite a benefit.  Even though we have been to Honolulu several times before this cruise on land vacations, I still quite enjoy visiting all the beaches on the East coast and the North Shore is fabulous and we will be staying up on the North Shore for a couple of nights.