What would you do?

nancyshaw

Personally, when we find a cruise that is of interest and at a price (including terms & conditions) we are prepared to pay, we book it. Not interested in continuing to compare prices once booked, as from that point we start researching ports and excursions.

We do much like Andy.  If the cruise is right for us and the price ok we go.  One thing you can bet on is Viking will not cut the price of the cruise by half as some mass market lines might do a few months before sailing.  A few dollars up or down should not really make a difference if it is the cruise you want.  And I also agree the "deals" onboard are not so much.

I really appreciate all the advice. The promo is for reduced air, it is not free, $799 to san juan and back from Barcelona. Jan 31 the  promo may change. It is a TA cruise for Feb of 2021 and all is available since it is so far in advance.

Since the cruise is so far out I would wait until I was on the ship but take a copy of the offer with you.  We had trouble getting the US website for some reason kept getting UK and they had different offers.

OBC is nice to have for excursions, tips and drinks.

Nancy, I just realized you are considering a Transatlantic in 2021.  Don't rush.  For example, the VO website, under last minute specials, has the two upcoming TA s to Barcelona at a reasonable fare and shows $799 air.  I received a VO email showing reduced rates and free air.  All with good availability only one month out.  Transatlantics, or repositioning cruises, traditionally are slow sellers.  I love them.  Same ship, same crew, same food, just fewer ports all for a reduced rate.  Are you signed up for VO email special offers?  😎

Edited by Jim Avery
  • Like 1

Just now, deec said:

how do I sign up for those!!!  Please....retired folks are good for last minute fun!

Hi Dee,

Viking website, click on Oceans top left. Then the last minute specials are a bit down on the home page.  A tab on the lower right marked "best deals" opens a page where you sign up for email notifications.  Have had several really good deals but sadly was not able to jump.🍸

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 10:18 AM, Jim Avery said:

Hi Dee,

Viking website, click on Oceans top left. Then the last minute specials are a bit down on the home page.  A tab on the lower right marked "best deals" opens a page where you sign up for email notifications.  Have had several really good deals but sadly was not able to jump.🍸

Thanks, Jim, for your insights on last minute deals, and also insights into the Transatlantic cruises!  We are thinking of doing one westbound to Miami in 2020.   Of course the other alternative is to go ahead and book it, and then if a good deal comes along ahead of the extra cancel fee date, it is only $100 pp to cancel and then rebook.

One thing not mentioned is if the room type and location is important to you, you might consider booking ahead of time to get what you want.  If any room is fine, then wait it out and see.  Personally I have been tracking room prices on a number of cruises we are considering and there seems to be a large rise in interest in Viking Ocean cruises this year versus last year.  Our TA said January was a huge month.  More people retiring every day and then hearing from their friends our great Viking Ocean is!

Well, I suppose the original person is already on his/her cruise, so it doesn't matter.  However, I just wanted to add that I didn't think the onboard quotes we got were "weak" - and I wished we had booked on board.  But I suppose everyone's experience and expectations are different.  Actually, I wish we had researched cruises before we went, so that I could have asked for quotes on the cruise we ultimately decided we wanted.  I waited too long to research and decide after we got back, and are now paying more for what we booked.

Normally I feel it's better to jump on something once you decide you want it, especially since we're looking for a lower-priced cabin category.  Viking books up quickly, and I don't want to be disappointed. 

Edited by roothy123

18 hours ago, roothy123 said:

Well, I suppose the original person is already on his/her cruise, so it doesn't matter.  However, I just wanted to add that I didn't think the onboard quotes we got were "weak" - and I wished we had booked on board.  But I suppose everyone's experience and expectations are different.  Actually, I wish we had researched cruises before we went, so that I could have asked for quotes on the cruise we ultimately decided we wanted.  I waited too long to research and decide after we got back, and are now paying more for what we booked.

Normally I feel it's better to jump on something once you decide you want it, especially since we're looking for a lower-priced cabin category.  Viking books up quickly, and I don't want to be disappointed. 

What's nice is let's say you booked cruise A onboard and when you get home you research and decide you really want B.  You can call up and switch to cruise B and pay NO penalty fee.  I've done it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

What's nice is let's say you booked cruise A onboard and when you get home you research and decide you really want B.  You can call up and switch to cruise B and pay NO penalty fee.  I've done it.

Glad to hear that; was wondering about that.  I waited too late to even try that, but next time I cruise on Viking, I'll be more organized/prepared. Their offer was good for a while after we got home, but not long enough to cover my indecision!