R class or O class and why?

ilikewhatisgood

21 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Question please.

St Petersburg recently; does an R ship dock downtown at English Embankment, or out of town at the main dock ?

We did dock on Neva river "downtown" on Nautica but it was in 2006.

I've read here that sometimes the R ships dock there but not always. I guess it depends on who else is in town - Seabourn, Silversea and some others have smaller ships as well that maybe be docked downtown.

We have been on Marina twice, Insignia once. Both were enjoyable but if itinerary was the same we would choose the O ship for the following reasons:

1. Size of cabin;

2. Size of bathroom, especially inclusion of a tub. I know many say to get rid of them but I really enjoy using it when on vacation.

3. The 2 extra specialties, especially Jacques

4. The ability to take culinary classes.

5. The possibility of using Privee or indulging in La Reserve.

6. We found our Insignia cruise was a much older crowd; we are in our early 50s and found very few people close to our age aboard. Not sure if that’s an R ship thing or just that particular itinerary (RT NY doing the NE Coast). 

I honestly did not find any difference because of the increased number of passengers on O ships.

We would do an R cruise again if it was the right itinerary and because I would like to see the renovations. But was very happy to hear about the new builds so we have more options on the O size ships.

I don't disagree with anything you say (even if I don't necessarily subscribe to everything you said, if you get my drift) BUT I just want to say that management seems to want to eliminate the tubs ... so I wouldn't count on them always being available.

I agree that I like the tub option!  Many others do as well, but at least as many (maybe more, I never counted) only want showers.

Currently if you are in a top suite on the "O" ships you have two jacuzzis -- onbe in the bathroom, one on the deck.  Given the size of the bathrooms they may not change that.

But they seem intent on removing the jacuzzi in the OS and VS on the "R" ships.  On our last "R" cruise (Sirena) we were in a VS and we just had the big walk-in shower ... I like the big shower, of course, but I liked the jacuzzi that used to be there much better!  Even when I had a torn meniscus and was on crutches, I could get in and out of the tub and it was really a blessing to have those hot jets soothing my knee.  The shower just can't do that.

I appreciate the complaint many have that getting in and out of tubs is difficult!  I do!  But I had difficulty walking with that torn meniscus back then and I could still get in and out of the tub.

JMO ...

Mura

2 hours ago, gbits said:

We have been on Marina twice, Insignia once. Both were enjoyable but if itinerary was the same we would choose the O ship for the following reasons:

1. Size of cabin;

2. Size of bathroom, especially inclusion of a tub. I know many say to get rid of them but I really enjoy using it when on vacation.

3. The 2 extra specialties, especially Jacques

4. The ability to take culinary classes.

5. The possibility of using Privee or indulging in La Reserve.

6. We found our Insignia cruise was a much older crowd; we are in our early 50s and found very few people close to our age aboard. Not sure if that’s an R ship thing or just that particular itinerary (RT NY doing the NE Coast). 

I honestly did not find any difference because of the increased number of passengers on O ships.

We would do an R cruise again if it was the right itinerary and because I would like to see the renovations. But was very happy to hear about the new builds so we have more options on the O size ships.

Agree with your entire post.  Look forward tom the new builds so we will not have to think about sailing on the R ship anymore.  They should be able to cover most of the world.