18 yo sailing in the Caribbean with friends family, what paperwork does he need

rkkunk

Our friends son is sailing with his friends family this summer to celebrate his friends HS graduation. 

I’m not sure if his friends family have been on many cruises and know what proper papers will be needed for him to board the ship and not have problems getting on and off of the ship in ports since his parents won’t be on the cruise. He is 18.

Also, I’m not sure if he has a passport. Will he need one? Or just his birth certificate? He has time to get one if need be.

25 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Passport suggested. Birth Certificate will do.

He's 18.  He doesn't need anyone's permission to get on or off the ship.  18 year old's don't need parental permission.

If he goes the birth certificate route he will also need a government issued picture I'D, a driver's license works for that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, akcruz said:

If he goes the birth certificate route he will also need a government issued picture I'D, a driver's license works for that.

That's a good point.  But in the broader picture, I would hope that no 18 year old would ever still leave the house without photo ID!  As soon as my stepdaughter got her license, I pretty much hammered it into her head that one of the realities of being an "adult" is that you pretty much carry ID all the time.

He is 18 and an adult.  Make sure he is aware that he cannot drink alcohol on board, but will be able to drink on the islands.

He doesn’t “need” it for sure, but highly recommend purchasing medical insurance.  Or, as a young adult he may be still carried on his parents’ insurance; if so, find out if he is covered out of the US and make sure he has a copy of his insurance card.  

A passport is is by far the easiest way to travel.  Passport is also needed if he should have to fly home from the Caribbean if an emergency should arise.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles
  • Like 1