New York

Nanabigjo

We have booked a round trip transatlantic on QM2 and wondered if anyone knows which terminal she usually berths at in New York? If it is Brooklyn , how easy is it to get to the 9/11 museum - are taxis readily available and at what time could you expect to leave the ship? We plan to be up early to see the sail-in so will be ready to disembark ASAP. When I asked Cunard about this they told me it is quicker to leave the ship if you book an excursion with them. We normally like to do or own thing ashore but if it is very time consuming to do this the we would be prepared to book with Cunard. All your views would be greatly appreciated.

Yes it is a good idea to get up early to see the arrival past the Statue of Liberty glowing in the early morning. You will have time to have a breakfast and disembark with the self disembarkers. Go quickly to Immigration and Customs and as you exit the terminal there will be a taxi queue. 

The QM2 usually docks at the Brooklyn terminal at Red Hook. There will be taxis available at the terminal, and you can get into Manhattan via the Brooklyn Battery tunnel in 20 to 30 mins depending on the traffic which could be heavy into Manhattan in the am.

The 911 Memorial and the World Trade Center Tower are in the Battery. I can recommend a trip to the top of the tower as well as the museum. It is a historical experience as well as a visual one. The 911 Museum opens at 9 A.M. You can then take a subway to Macy's or further uptown if you want a bit of retail therapy, and taxi back to Brooklyn in the afternoon. 

Edited by Bigmike911

It truly depends on what day it is. A weekday at 9:00 AM will have a great deal of traffic going into the city. A weekend, not so much. You may wish to wait until a little later, possibly 10:00 AM as the traffic will have eased a bit by then.

Thank you for these replies- certainly given me plenty to think about! We will be in NY  on a Sunday so does this make a difference in getting through immigration and customs and the traffic. We want to book tickets for 9/11 museum and you have to specify a time slot so was wondering if 9.30am would be too optimistic!

5 hours ago, Nanabigjo said:

We have booked a round trip transatlantic on QM2 and wondered if anyone knows which terminal she usually berths at in New York? If it is Brooklyn , how easy is it to get to the 9/11 museum - are taxis readily available and at what time could you expect to leave the ship? We plan to be up early to see the sail-in so will be ready to disembark ASAP. When I asked Cunard about this they told me it is quicker to leave the ship if you book an excursion with them. We normally like to do or own thing ashore but if it is very time consuming to do this the we would be prepared to book with Cunard. All your views would be greatly appreciated.

We did a rountrip TA on QM2 in October last year and we visited 9/11 Museum. Recommend early rise to see your sail into New York then an early breakfast in the buffet and then get off the ship as early as possible. We left QM2 and made the short well sign posted walk to the NYC Ferry ($2-75pp) and caught it across to Pier 11/ Wall Street and then made an easy walk across to 9/11 Museum, no taxi needed. We arrived after a leisurely slow walk and looked around the fountain monuments and then started to queue for the opening at 9am of the museum. Absolutely fantastic and respectful museum even though very upsetting especially as an ex UK firefighter. There was no problem leaving the ship we were one of the first ones off even before excursions and customs hall was empty with a prompt customs and were through and off the ship by about 7am and actually after catching the ferry in Wall Street by about 7-30am. My advice is have a buffet breakfast and then go down to area of the ship where you disembark and ask them when you can leave, we did that and waited no longer than 5 minutes when we were told we could disembark as we were on a roundtrip. Do not advise you to get a taxi from Brooklyn terminal as it will be very expensive and you might struggle getting taxi for your return as unless pre booked they dont like leaving Manhatten. If you are able to do the short 5 minute walk to the ferry then that is the way to go and is only a 15-30 minute walk from NYC Ferry terminal at Wall St to 9/11Museum. We arrived at the museum between 8am - 8-15am. If  I can be of any other assistance please feel free to ask and will try my best to help.

Edited by majortom10

Thanks so much for all this info- just what I needed. My husband is also a retired UK firefighter with 28 years active service, hence the importance of our visit to this  particular monument. The info you have given certainly makes us confident in being able to venture forth on our own in the Big Apple- may even fit in some retail therapy!

Ferry details...

https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

Make sure that you click on 'TO' Wall Street, rather than keeping the default 'FROM' option to get the right outward times, and scroll down to the weekend times.... Sunday departures from Red Hook are 6:52, 8:22, 9:52 then 11:52 and takes 20 minutes. 

(Assuming I haven't lost my mind and am still reading it right!)

Edited by Toffeegirl68

14 minutes ago, Nanabigjo said:

Thanks so much for all this info- just what I needed. My husband is also a retired UK firefighter with 28 years active service, hence the importance of our visit to this  particular monument. The info you have given certainly makes us confident in being able to venture forth on our own in the Big Apple- may even fit in some retail therapy!

When is your roundtrip planned for.

3 hours ago, Nanabigjo said:

Thank you for these replies- certainly given me plenty to think about! We will be in NY  on a Sunday so does this make a difference in getting through immigration and customs and the traffic. We want to book tickets for 9/11 museum and you have to specify a time slot so was wondering if 9.30am would be too optimistic!

Sunday makes no difference at immigration and customs. Brooklyn is one ship at a time so only the QM2 passengers will be dis-embarking. I think you may want to book for 10:am just to be safe. One World Trade center has a reserved booking service that will save you time if you want to visit the tower as well. 

I've never taken the ferry from Red Hook to Manhattan, but lots of Cruise Critic folks recommend it, just like Majortom.  I think it is your best option for a quick and inexpensive trip into Manhattan, and it will deliver you close to the 9/11 memorial site.  Should be a fun ride as well with some great views of the skyline.

If you can plan to get off the ship for about 7am I would not worry about pre booking tickets for 9/11 Museum, especially onboard as Cunard add a supplement. We had heard horror stories about queues and recommendations to pre book tickets but as I said previously we easily made it there for about 8am - 8-15am browsed the fountains and kept an eye on the booking office and soon as it opened which was before 9am we bought tickets and then joined the queue which was only about 20 people and entered museum bang on 9am and this was a weekday so I should imagine Sunday morning would be easier and a lot quieter with traffic. The problem with pre booking tickets is you have no control of how busy immigration/customs is going to be and how long it will take to get through we were very lucky and took just a few minutes. This for one reason I would recommend get off as early as possible and then if you do get delayed in immigration/customs you will not be worrying about missing your pre booked ticket time slot.

Edited by majortom10

Ferry to Pier 11/Wall Street and walk to the September 11 Memorial is the way to go.  It's an 18 minute walk via Wall Street from the ferry to the memorial.  Why?  You never know from day to day if the commute by taxi will be 30 minutes or 1.5 hours, both ways.  Walking and ferry times are predictable which is important given that you don't want to miss QM2's departure from Red Hook.       

Edited by ddgarner1

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:09 AM, Nanabigjo said:

My husband I disembarked after the September 30th Quebec to NY voyage arriving early morning and getting off after breakfast. We had ample time to get to the airport home, so were not unduly perturbed when we were in the line - up for customs/immigration for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. There seemed to be no arrangements made for passengers who were just getting off for the day and returning before the QM2 left again for the TA. It was Bedlam, whether this was because it was a Sunday or because they were short-staffed, I don't know. There are taxis available outside but be sure to ask the terms BEFORE your luggage is put in the trunk of the car. I always feel like I have had a week in the womb with Cunard and then expelled into the reality of New York which is quite sobering.

Many thanks to everyone for taking the time to post such great info. We have about 3 or4 plans for our day in NY and would like to know if anyone sees any major flaws in them.

off ship ASAP and grab a taxi to 9/11 museum- while away the time to 9.00 with breakfast or coffee nearby

if delayed by immigration etc take the 8.22 ferry and then grab a taxi to museum

return journey either taxi to ship or taxi to pier and then ferry

we will be in NY on a Sunday so anticipate less traffic at around 7-8am and the reason for the taxis is that my husband is not able to walk too far- in the museum we are hoping for areas to sit quietly so he can rest a while

we will decide what to do after the museum on the day as it will all depend on how he is feeling- possibly taxi to Empire State Building 

thanks once again

34 minutes ago, Nanabigjo said:

Many thanks to everyone for taking the time to post such great info. We have about 3 or4 plans for our day in NY and would like to know if anyone sees any major flaws in them.

off ship ASAP and grab a taxi to 9/11 museum- while away the time to 9.00 with breakfast or coffee nearby

if delayed by immigration etc take the 8.22 ferry and then grab a taxi to museum

return journey either taxi to ship or taxi to pier and then ferry

we will be in NY on a Sunday so anticipate less traffic at around 7-8am and the reason for the taxis is that my husband is not able to walk too far- in the museum we are hoping for areas to sit quietly so he can rest a while

we will decide what to do after the museum on the day as it will all depend on how he is feeling- possibly taxi to Empire State Building 

thanks once again

My only recommendation is wherever you go once you land at Pier 11/Wall Street using taxi on your return get a taxi back to Pier 11 and catch the return ferry. If you can get a taxi, like I said previously you might struggle to get one as many dont like or wont leave Manhattan and go across the bridge and if they will it will be very expensive with fare and tolls. My only other advice is dont pay too much attention to times of NYC Ferry unless you are going very soon then times change with the season and year. 

I really appreciate all the information, especially about the ferry to and from Red Hook. In July we will be taking the QE on the 18-day eastbound transatlantic from Ft. Lauderdale with a port stop in NYC. We have been to the Manhattan terminal before but never to Brooklyn so any info on getting around from there is very helpful. At the end of our time in the UK we are coming back to the US on QM2. Will the ship be offering transfers to JFK? I can't find anything on the website. If not, is there any option other than a taxi to the airport? 

There are a number of threads on the topic of transportation to JFK from Red Hook. Cunard does not sell transfers in advance.

• There will be Cunard shuttles offered for, I believe $50 per passenger. If you have an early flight, these are the first passengers to disembark, after self-disembark passengers who take their own luggage offboard. This is pretty much the most expensive option - but if you have onboard credit to burn or want the simplest option, it might be best for you.
  • There are many cabs available outside the terminal. Black town cars & limos as well. Taxicabs will be metered, ask the price in advance for others.
  • Our personal favorite in most cases is a hired car like Dial7 or Carmel. (Google for the websites and app info) Fast, reliable, and not much more than cabs and possibly Uber/Lyft. You can get a quote and/or prepay in advance. Call or use the app to summon them when you clear customs.
  • Uber & Lyft (I think Lyft) is also available. Personally, we prefer professional drivers mentioned in the previous two options. (Of course, this is a personal opinion and I know that others prefer to use them)

FYI - Although there are no bridges or tunnel tolls between Red Hook and JFK, for other routes like Newark, tolls will be added to the rate for taxis and rideshare apps, but should be included in fixed price quotes from car services and limos.

22 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

There are a number of threads on the topic of transportation to JFK from Red Hook. Cunard does not sell transfers in advance.

• There will be Cunard shuttles offered for, I believe $50 per passenger. If you have an early flight, these are the first passengers to disembark, after self-disembark passengers who take their own luggage offboard. This is pretty much the most expensive option - but if you have onboard credit to burn or want the simplest option, it might be best for you.
  • There are many cabs available outside the terminal. Black town cars & limos as well. Taxicabs will be metered, ask the price in advance for others.
  • Our personal favorite in most cases is a hired car like Dial7 or Carmel. (Google for the websites and app info) Fast, reliable, and not much more than cabs and possibly Uber/Lyft. You can get a quote and/or prepay in advance. Call or use the app to summon them when you clear customs.
  • Uber & Lyft (I think Lyft) is also available. Personally, we prefer professional drivers mentioned in the previous two options. (Of course, this is a personal opinion and I know that others prefer to use them)

FYI - Although there are no bridges or tunnel tolls between Red Hook and JFK, for other routes like Newark, tolls will be added to the rate for taxis and rideshare apps, but should be included in fixed price quotes from car services and limos.

Mark excellent advice, but Cunard does sell trips to EWR, LGA, and JFK and you can book them in advance through the voyage personalizer or through your T/A.

Edited by Bigmike911

8 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

Mark excellent advice, but Cunard does sell trips to EWR, LGA, and JFK and you can book them in advance through the voyage personalizer or through your T/A.

I'm curious to learn where the Cunard airport transfers are available to book via the US Voyage Personaliser. I have never been able to find them there, so maybe I'm not looking in the right place. There is a "Transfers ashore" page in the voyage personaliser, but all I've ever seen there is a link to book private transfers through "holidayextras.co.uk" and a general description about port shuttle buses.

Edited by bluemarble

10 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'm curious to learn where the Cunard airport transfers are available to book via the US Voyage Personaliser. I have never been able to find them there, so maybe I'm not looking in the right place. There is a "Transfers ashore" page in the voyage personaliser, but all I've ever seen there is a link to book private transfers through "holidayextras.co.uk" and a general description about port shuttle buses.

Yea, I went to the VP and could not complete the form. It looks like it is a UK site form. I have booked airport transfers both for the US and the UK. The last time I did it I went through my T/A. or booked at the excursions office on board. I have gotten to where I take a taxi to LGA because the price is about the same as a transfer, but faster.  There have been so many changes with the web site, I am not sure anymore what they actually offer. 

16 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

Yea, I went to the VP and could not complete the form. It looks like it is a UK site form. I have booked airport transfers both for the US and the UK. The last time I did it I went through my T/A. or booked at the excursions office on board. I have gotten to where I take a taxi to LGA because the price is about the same as a transfer, but faster.  There have been so many changes with the web site, I am not sure anymore what they actually offer. 

Thanks for that follow-up.

Concerning changes to the Cunard website, you used to be able to book airport transfers during the initial voyage booking process on the old US website. And that was even possible for a while on the new US website.

But now, they have added a "Flights" section to the booking process on the US website that so far does not ever actually offer any flights. And then the sections to book airport transfers now state "Please select a Cunard flight to access Cunard transfers."

As we know, it is not necessary to book a Cunard flight to book one of the post-voyage airport transfers. But the new US website doesn't allow that any longer.

The new website sure is a moving target isn't it?