Suspend cellphone plan on world cruise?

alexander51

We’re planning a five month cruise with Seabourn that includes free wireless. When we go, should we suspend or temporarily close our att account and just rely on ship or port wireless? We usually don’t need to call anyone, but would this limit us to email in an emergency?

5 hours ago, alexander51 said:

We’re planning a five month cruise with Seabourn that includes free wireless. When we go, should we suspend or temporarily close our att account and just rely on ship or port wireless? We usually don’t need to call anyone, but would this limit us to email in an emergency?

Hi.  You need to be thoughtful on this.  There is a difference between Seabourn's wifi and cell service.  Even if you use shoreside wifi, that doesn't help you if you want to call family, friends, back home, etc.  

Alexander51, since you'll have access to wifi on the ship, you'll be able to make and receive calls through a voice-over-internet service (like Skype or FaceTime).  

Seabourn also provides a phone number where people can reach you in a true emergency.  It's very expensive ($10 per minute), and calls are limited to 10 minutes.  But, at least you're reachable.  The details are on page 2 of the "Exclusive Travel Planner brochure" you receive before the cruise.

I don't know what ATT's policy is regarding suspending or temporarily closing your account, so you'd have to check with them.  If you don't close or suspend your ATT account, be sure to turn off data roaming!!

2 minutes ago, marazul said:

Check out T-Mobile.  They have free texting and data roaming in about 200 countries. 

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans?icid=WMM_TM_Q117TMO1PL_H85BRNKTDO37510

We switched a few years back because of that.

Marazul, we switched from ATT to T-Mobile two years because of these features.  It's a much better carrier for those who are frequent international travelers.  

That said, switching carriers can be a headache ...

On 1/25/2019 at 12:46 PM, alexander51 said:

We have T-Mobile and iPhones.  Iphones are equipped with "wifi calling" so we often turn the cellular option off on our iPhones and use 100% wifi calling all of the time,  even at home where our cell coverage is weak.  I only mention T-Mobile because "wifi calling" was "provider specific" in the early days but I would venture a guess most every phone and phone provider have this feature. I'm guessing even Fred Flintstone has wifi calling on his phone.

One word of caution, be sure to turn your phone's cellular option off when at sea. It will auto connect to the ship's "Cellular at sea" network which has very expensive per minute pricing.

We have T-Mobile and Android phones.  We get "wi-fi" calling as well.  Everyone gets it now.  

The switch over from carriers was no problem at all.  We did go to one of their stores to do it. 

Also, check the "Over 55" pay rates.  (Unless you are a youngster!)

Another vote for WiFi Calling. It’s a free service for most carriers and I know ATT offers it. Simply activate WiFi Calling in your cellphone. Then anytime you are on WiFi and the cell signal is weak your phone will Automatically switch over. You’ll only know this if you look at what service your phone is connected to. It’ll say “ATTwifi” instead of “ATT.” Anyway, on the ship, put your the phone in “airplane” mode, turn on the WiFi and hook up to the ships WiFi. Your phone will automatically go into wifi calling and you can use it just like you’re sitting in your own home. You can do the same from any WiFi including WiFi cafes in any port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/2/2019 at 7:52 PM, freddie said:

Papaflamingo - When you use the ship's WiFi to call on your ATT phone, does the calling time simply go against your internet plan minutes?

Correct.  It's just as if you are sitting in your own home using the Cell Phone.  It's a great deal.  I use it at home because our house has a weak signal.  So my phone, when hooked up to my wifi, automatically switches to WiFi Calling because it's so much stronger.  It's a seamless switching.  I have an Iphone, and with Verizon. But here's a screen shot of my phone.  If you look in the  upper left corner you'll see it says "VZWwifi." (yours will say ATTwifi) I'm in my house, but my phone senses the stronger signal (as you can see by two bars for the Cell service vs. the strong WiFi service.  On the ship you need to go into Airplane mode because the cell signal will be strong and your phone will hook up to the ships cell service.  Going into Airplane mode and hooking up to WiFi will ensure that your phone will go into WiFi calling, but you can always check it.  It sometimes takes a few minutes to hook up. 

IMG_0875.thumb.jpg.ccbcdd38283b71895b69ced00fe6dd69.jpg