Name Change...why is it so difficult!

maurinsky

My hubs and I had a cruise several years ago, before we got married. I booked our current cruise on black Friday, and I had to do it under my previous name/VIFP account, and now I need to change that name because...it's not my name anymore. I have made 2 calls, to very nice folks who tried to change it but couldn't, and they were trying to patch me through to someone who could help, and both times the call got dropped.

Has anyone else had to do this? Any tips or tricks?

I actually went through this exact thing, the lady got it changed for me on my VIFP but she didn't change it on my booking. I found out that I was able to go in and change it on my booking on my own. I just went and edited the same, the only time it wouldn't allow it is if I was totally changing the name (first and last). 

Hi,

Have you also change names on passport? IF you are using your birth certificate to board the ship it is easier to leave the name the same as what is written there.

You do not have to change the name on your account. Just because you are married there is no rule that says you must change your name on your Carnival account.

IF this is something that is really important to you the next time you call Carnival click on computer issues and let that department try to change the name instead of the sales people in the call center.

If it was my cruise I'd just leave the name as is.

53 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Hi,

Have you also change names on passport? IF you are using your birth certificate to board the ship it is easier to leave the name the same as what is written there.

You do not have to change the name on your account. Just because you are married there is no rule that says you must change your name on your Carnival account.

IF this is something that is really important to you the next time you call Carnival click on computer issues and let that department try to change the name instead of the sales people in the call center.

If the person's legal name has changed and their photo ID has therefore also changed, then the booking name (which defaults to your account name) will be the wrong name.  Yeah, they can go in and change it after booking, but it certainly would be less stressful to me to be able to change the account/VIFP name globally.

2 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Hi,

My passport and driver's license both have my new name. I have plenty of time to fix it, I'm just not sure why it is proving to be difficult.

• Like 1

I just had to change my name on my booking/VIFP account. I called the 800 number and it was done in less than 5 minutes. Once I got off the phone, I checked my booking online and it was already updated. I spent longer on hold than I did speaking to the rep to make the change.....but that's a whole other story.

Good luck getting your name changed.

8 hours ago, maurinsky said:

My passport and driver's license both have my new name. I have plenty of time to fix it, I'm just not sure why it is proving to be difficult.

Because people are usually actually changing people.  So if I Jane Doe get a great offer and I book a cruise but then I don't want to go but my sister, Jean Doe wants to go instead.  So I call to "change my name".

37 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Because people are usually actually changing people.  So if I Jane Doe get a great offer and I book a cruise but then I don't want to go but my sister, Jean Doe wants to go instead.  So I call to "change my name".

Well, I can provide evidence that I am who I am, I'd just like to get to someone on the phone who can make it happen! It is not a problem for me to scan my DL and/or passport to show my new name. 

9 minutes ago, maurinsky said:

Well, I can provide evidence that I am who I am, I'd just like to get to someone on the phone who can make it happen! It is not a problem for me to scan my DL and/or passport to show my new name. 

If the first person you reach can’t help you, call back again and hopefully you will get a more experienced person who can help you. This approach has worked for me countless times for various issues. 

53 minutes ago, maurinsky said:

But the rule isn't about you or other honest people, it is about the cheaters

• Like 1

I have found it to be hit or miss when calling Carnival for any issue.  I can't remember what my last issue was but I do remember calling and the first person I spoke with had no idea what I was talking about.  I got frustrated and hung up as I was getting no where.  I called back and got someone else, and they did not know what I was talking about either.  It was some simple issue regarding a booking of mine,  I can't remember exactly what it was, but I do remember being completely perplexed as to how the actual rep working for Carnival seemed to know less than I did.  I hung up and gave it a third try and that time I got someone who INSTANTLY knew what I was talking about and fixed the problem within minutes.   I was dumbfounded at the level of incompetence of their reps.   This was not the first instance I had with this same scenario. 

Long story short.....if you can't get an issue resolved, just hang up and immediately call back and eventually you might get someone who actually can help you.  I also found I had better luck if I called during the middle of the day.