The Elbe river 2019 - not just water levels

notamermaid

Winedogs,

It has indeed been raining sufficiently also in Saxony and the Czech Republic. During previous spells of rain the Elbe had usually missed out but now it has finally worked to get the level to a decent figure as AnhaltER1960 has indicated above. Really good to read that things are looking better. Dresden is at 112cm and Magdeburg at 85cm.

Just a note on the BAfG map: orange and green colours are a statistical value only but do serve well to indicate what the general situation is. For a real figure, hmm, I do not know one. I had given an indication earlier this year what is okay at Dresden but it needs to be sufficient at other gauges to make it worthwhile to operate the ships, i.e. get three decent days of sailing in.

Perhaps AnhaltER1960 is better at naming figures.

5th of November is still some days to go but there is certainly now quite a bit of hope for your cruise going ahead as planned.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Won The Lottery!!!  The rains came at just the right time.

By way of introduction, I am on my first river cruise with my family after having had our Elegant Elbe itinerary cancelled in 2018.  That was a big surprise, so this year I have been lurking on this forum to gauge how the river levels are likely to be -- and have greatly appreciated the information from notamermaid and others.  We weren't especially thrilled about boatels and buses but had two couples who had taken this itinerary before each highly recommend that we proceed, saying Viking takes great care of you and does a superb job with the logistics.

So... we are on the October 3 - 13 Elegant Elbe trip from Berlin to Prague on the Viking Astrild and WE ARE SAILING!!!  The Astrild pulled out from port in Wittenburg earlier today for the first time after being parked there for 110 days.  Passengers and crew are all doing the happy dance!  No guarantee yet that we will make it all the way to Decin, but chances are good.

I'll try to post more later.

cleoswalkr

On 10/7/2019 at 6:12 AM, cleoswalkr said:

Won The Lottery!!!  The rains came at just the right time.

By way of introduction, I am on my first river cruise with my family after having had our Elegant Elbe itinerary cancelled in 2018.  That was a big surprise, so this year I have been lurking on this forum to gauge how the river levels are likely to be -- and have greatly appreciated the information from notamermaid and others.  We weren't especially thrilled about boatels and buses but had two couples who had taken this itinerary before each highly recommend that we proceed, saying Viking takes great care of you and does a superb job with the logistics.

So... we are on the October 3 - 13 Elegant Elbe trip from Berlin to Prague on the Viking Astrild and WE ARE SAILING!!!  The Astrild pulled out from port in Wittenburg earlier today for the first time after being parked there for 110 days.  Passengers and crew are all doing the happy dance!  No guarantee yet that we will make it all the way to Decin, but chances are good.

I'll try to post more later.

cleoswalkr

AWESOME!  Keep us posted.  We are on the Beyla, November 5th sailing from Decin

• 2 weeks later...

Music, drumroll, excitement all around 🍾 🎆

Okay, perhaps not that much :classic_biggrin:.

But Anglophones can you now book an Elbe cruise going from Hamburg to Dresden, yes, quite different - and it is not with CroisiEurope. Scylla with their river cruise company Viva Cruises are trying to establish themselves on the North-American market and are offering a cruise on the Junker Jörg (ex Theodor Fontane): https://www.viva-*****/us/cruisedetail/?id=61&startDate=2020-05-02&endDate=2020-05-09&dur=7

Fontane, ring a bell among the veteran river cruisers? Yes, the Viking Fontane! Well, she was never really called the Viking Fontane, that was her marketing name. Naaa, she was called that, you might say. She was never officially renamed by Viking. Here is the proof: https://www.seereisenmagazin.de/jahrgang2010/Ausgabe-6-2010/viking-fontane.htm

notamermaid

11 hours ago, notamermaid said:

But Anglophones can you now book an Elbe cruise going from Hamburg to Dresden, yes, quite different - and it is not with CroisiEurope. Scylla with their river cruise company Viva Cruises are trying to establish themselves on the North-American market and are offering a cruise on the Junker Jörg (ex Theodor Fontane): https://www.viva-*****/us/cruisedetail/?id=61&startDate=2020-05-02&endDate=2020-05-09&dur=7

@ notamermaid, thanks for pointing that new offer of an real Elbe cruise. May is a month, which is quite safe to sail, important for a ship like the Fontane, which draws more than 120 cm.

The advantage of cruising on a river is, you cannot get lost. You might get stuck on shallow ground, but you cannot get lost. Important to those, who confuse Wittenberg and Wittenberge (look at their excoursion side). Happened already to others, who board a train in Berlin wanting to see the Luther sites (Wittenberg) and end on a train to Wittenberge (150 mls away).

Atumn with rain, sunshine, more rain. Enough rain to fill the Elbe to allow sailing probably to the end of this year. Viking as well as CroisiEurope have resumed their sailings. For other the rain came too late, at least too late to re-re-schedule their itinerary.

Not easy observing the water levels, meet a decision to cancel, inform the customers, rearrange buses, tour guides, restaurants and so on. And then everything reverse, as all of a sudden there is water in the river. Travellers on the Viking ship in the last days hit the jackpot. After having been informed the cruise is not taking place and choice between cancellation or boatel, things changed and the ship could sail. So those who chose to travel got a full cruise (on an only two thirds filled ship) and the promised 50 % discount for the next cruise on top.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the info, AnhaltER1960. Indeed, it is not easy to manage the logistics on the river.

The situation is promising for the next few weeks, but as always the river does as it pleases. Will see how Autumn progresses. Just to add the pleasant sounding figures: Dresden 124cm, Magdeburg-Strombrücke 94cm.

notamermaid

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2019 at 6:25 AM, Winedogs said:

Currently on Viking Beyla...embarked yesterday (November 5) at Bad Schandau as opposed to Decin as the water levels are too low for sailing between those areas. Everything else should be to schedule.

Thanks for the info. I hope you had a good time. The Elbe has recovered to some extent but is still low.

It is time to look at some Christmas markets again and compare them. Among the list of the best, most atmospheric, or whatever criteria you may apply Dresden is usually to be found. Here is such a list: https://www.dw.com/en/10-beautiful-christmas-markets-in-germany/g-51355982

notamermaid

From wha

1 hour ago, CPT Trips said:

Well, sadly a visit to the Green Vault is out. Any idea how the investigation and aftermath is affecting the other nearby museums.

From what we have learnt, access to the Green Vault outside their opening hours is not too difficult. And the security personell will not bother you....

ok, seriously. The Historical Green Vault remains closed for the time of the investigations. Other museums and parts of the Dresden Residence, including the New Green Vault, reopened today and have regular opening hours.

• Haha 1

The cruising season on the Elbe is drawing to a close, or is it?

I did not see any sailings of Viking for the rest of this year (UK website), but perhaps you are aware of sailings still.

For German river cruise companies the river is still of interest in December and the last sailings end just after New Year's Day. On offer are shorter Christmas market sailings on the Junker Jörg with Viva Cruises and on the Katharina von Bora with nickocruises. The Katharina von Bora will be the ship for those sailing with nickocruises on the longer Christmas itinerary and the New Year's Celebration itinerary of equal length (seven nights).

With both companies having moved onto the Anglophones market, such itineraries might get some interest from North-American cruisers, like you here on CC. 🙂 

notamermaid

P.S.: Dresden gauge is at 85cm.

Edited by notamermaid
P.S. added

• 4 weeks later...

With Dresden gauge at 105cm hopefully all cruisers ringing in the New Year on the Elbe will have a splendid time sailing.

@AnhaltER1960

Thank you for joining us again this year with first-hand information on the river and great tips for cruisers. Have a Great New Year. 🎆🍾

notamermaid