hubbard glacier

salabc

15 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Bob & Kathleen, glad to hear that you were able to book with Glacier Wind.  Yes, Shawn is a nice man and his wife, Teresa is very nice as well.  Both Shawn and Teresa are very special to us --- they feel like family.  Please tell them that Karen & Claudio say "HI." 

I hope you have a wonderful trip. 

Karen

Karen/Claudio, We will certainly pass along your greetings!

• Thanks 1

Still following this thread and not sure there's any consensus on the original question - is it worth $1000 for 4 people to get an "up close" experience in Hubbard Glacier on the "wilderness experience" excursion, or will we be just fine from the cruise ship (Celebrity Eclipse in mid-August)? Thanks!

14 hours ago, tnelias said:

Still following this thread and not sure there's any consensus on the original question - is it worth $1000 for 4 people to get an "up close" experience in Hubbard Glacier on the "wilderness experience" excursion, or will we be just fine from the cruise ship (Celebrity Eclipse in mid-August)? Thanks!

It's new this year so you won't get any feedback, just guesses.

On 3/14/2019 at 8:54 PM, tnelias said:

Booked, will know after and IF it "goes"  We are booked for 1 June, will report out.  I did read on the Facebook "Celebrity Village of Friends" group, people who did it in the past share they loved it.  I am still in sticker shock on excursions, but have resigned myself to that being a fact of Alaskan cruises. Part of why we are on this trip is to see and experience as much as we can. Perhaps you can always book to hold the spot and cancel if negative reviews come in ... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Happiest Sailor said:

I did read on the Facebook "Celebrity Village of Friends" group, people who did it in the past share they loved it.

Nobody has done the Hubbard Glacier excursion being discussed as it has never been offered before. There are lines that have their own excursions from the ship like Silver Seas.  Looking at the posts on the FB page you're referring too appears they are discussing the Tracy Arm excursion in the Hubbard Glacier post.

Many are waiting for the first trip report on this excursion as there are so man questions. Look forward to  yours.

13 hours ago, Glaciers said:

Nobody has done the Hubbard Glacier excursion being discussed as it has never been offered before. There are lines that have their own excursions from the ship like Silver Seas.  Looking at the posts on the FB page you're referring too appears they are discussing the Tracy Arm excursion in the Hubbard Glacier post.

Many are waiting for the first trip report on this excursion as there are so man questions. Look forward to  yours.

Yes, I revisited, it appears it was offered on the Solstice and in Tracy Arm , I suspect it is similar craft etc .. Allan Marine Tours was the provider?? Could call them or look at their site.  Nonetheless I am signed up and hope it's a go!

Once again---Contrary to some posts.----This excursion has not happened yet.---Considered last season but was a no go.----"Prior to last cruise season there was extensive discussion regarding the excursion being discussed here. A number booked but the excursion never materialized. It appears that was going to be a first for Allan Marine Tours in Yakutat Bay. The logistics of how they are going to operate is a puzzler for me. But it looks like they are going to give it another go this forthcoming season. Good Luck."

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2546802-hubard-glacier-viewing/?page=3

5 hours ago, kennicott said:

Once again---Contrary to some posts.----This excursion has not happened yet.---Considered last season but was a no go.----"Prior to last cruise season there was extensive discussion regarding the excursion being discussed here. A number booked but the excursion never materialized. It appears that was going to be a first for Allan Marine Tours in Yakutat Bay. The logistics of how they are going to operate is a puzzler for me. But it looks like they are going to give it another go this forthcoming season. Good Luck."

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2546802-hubard-glacier-viewing/?page=3

I wrote them a note, but have not received an answer back, will share once they/if they respond. 

5 hours ago, Happiest Sailor said:

I wrote them a note, but have not received an answer back, will share once they/if they respond. 

Bob & Kathleen, when I wrote to Allen Marine about the Hubbard excursion I went through Facebook and got a pretty quick response.  If you don't hear back in a timely manner go to Facebook and type in Allen Marine tours.  If you look at the middle of the pictures on the main page you will see a boat with a glacier in the background --- this is where you will find the announcement about the excursion.  If you want to send a message, use the message option on the Facebook page.  Good luck.

Karen

Looking at the F.B. page Italy52 suggested for Allen Marine Tours offers some comment type information about their forthcoming Hubbard Glacier tours, that is interesting.

1. They indicate their "crew" will be based in Yakutat. This means they won't be attempting to shuttle a boat back and forth for hundreds of miles, like bringing one up all the way from a station of their's down south on demand.

2. They say the length of the tour will generally be 2.5 hours, "depending on itinerary".

3. The say the departure point and embarkation point will from or onto the cruise ship, either at Yakutat or at Disenchantment Bay (which is by Hubbard), "depending upon "itinerary".

Apparently there are going to be multiple itineraries here. I assume those depend upon what they work out with the various cruise lines.

What we know is that Yakutat Charter Boat Company has been doing these tours for a number of years, but only from Yakutat, not off cruise ships.

----YCBC's tours average 4-5 hours, which include wildlife viewing as well as running around and among the bergs in front of the big glacier.

----As the crow flies, the distance between in front of Yakutat to the glacier and back is close to 80 miles round trip. Traveling this distance does not include looking for sea life and wildlife, playing around bergs or sitting in front of the glacier and watching it calve.  

---The cruise ship will have to stop and open a lower gangway door in order to embark and disembark these small boat tour guests.

----I believe, Princess for one, only schedules about five hours from the time they enter Yakutat Bay until they leave.  

On 3/18/2019 at 12:57 PM, Italy52 said:

Bob & Kathleen, when I wrote to Allen Marine about the Hubbard excursion I went through Facebook and got a pretty quick response.  If you don't hear back in a timely manner go to Facebook and type in Allen Marine tours.  If you look at the middle of the pictures on the main page you will see a boat with a glacier in the background --- this is where you will find the announcement about the excursion.  If you want to send a message, use the message option on the Facebook page.  Good luck.

Karen

They wrote back: 

Hi Robert. Thanks again for reaching out to us. This excursion operates "ship to ship". The shallow-draft of our craft allows for travel near the rocky, dramatic shoreline, affording spectacular photo opportunities. In addition, the vessel’s singular maneuverability provides a chance to weave through a maze of beautiful icebergs. At times these icebergs can be multiple stories tall, making the perspective from our smaller vessel astounding. Our goal is to spend at least 45 minutes viewing the glacier, however ice conditions and ship timing make this subject to change. After our initial stop, the vessel will travel parallel to the face of the glacier, providing comprehensive viewing and a variety of angles for photos and video. The tour also presents opportunities for photography of your cruise ship against a remarkable backdrop.
  • Like 3

Bob and Kathleen, glad to see that Allen Marine got back to you. Many thanks for sharing their response.  We have been to Hubbard many times before via cruise ship and are looking forward to this new and unique viewing opportunity.  Keeping our fingers crossed that everyone who has purchased this excursion has a wonderful and memorable experience.

Karen

• Like 1

I do wonder if the ships gets iced out, like we have twice at about 10 miles, will the Allen Marine vessel pick you up 10 miles out to start the excursion? Not sure they would have time enough for shore exploration plus 45 minutes at the face of the glacier. Or, if the ship does make it in past Haenke Island, would it really even be worth the excursion?  Time will tell, I suppose.

6 hours ago, Glaciers said:

I do wonder if the ships gets iced out, like we have twice at about 10 miles, will the Allen Marine vessel pick you up 10 miles out to start the excursion? Not sure they would have time enough for shore exploration plus 45 minutes at the face of the glacier. Or, if the ship does make it in past Haenke Island, would it really even be worth the excursion?  Time will tell, I suppose.

Taking the "leap of faith"  we shall see!

On 1/31/2019 at 9:26 AM, Unibok said:

Silversea is also offering that Hubbard excursion this May -- and I've signed up for it. I'll let you know how it goes!

Our cruise is in June, I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on this excursion!!!!

On 3/5/2019 at 5:30 AM, Happiest Sailor said:

Italy52:  Thats great to hear, I booked it, as it sounds like a great opportunity! I am sure that they need to sell enough seats to make it worth the effort.  It is confusing the way they post it, and need to do a better job highlighting the excursion to spark interest.  We booked all other excursions through private companies.  Still looking for one in Juneau.  Thinking whale watching, any suggestions/ideas?  Thanks! 

We are going cruising on the Celebrity Millennium in June. I have been researching booking through private companies myself. In Juneau we booked a helicopter/air boat tour with the company below. Turns out this same company is the one you can book through Celebrity but the company name isn't listed. Everyone I know who has gone to Alaska says the helicopter glacier tour is a must!!

https://airboatalaska.com/

I booked a whale watching excursion in Icy Strait Point, from all my reading this seemed like the best place to do it. I was able to book a boat that only carries 6 passengers!!!! I didn't want to be in a boat with 30-50 people. Talking with one of the owners, she said Juneau is like a parking lot when a pod is surfacing, all of the boats merge onto the same pod.  Below are the 2 companies I booked with because we have 7 people in our group. 

https://www.g-wind.com/

https://www.hoonahwhaletours.com/

On 3/19/2019 at 10:25 PM, Glaciers said:

I think they will cancel it.

17 hours ago, kdoyle25 said:

I booked a whale watching excursion in Icy Strait Point, from all my reading this seemed like the best place to do it.

The area around Glacier Bay/Icy Strait Point has seen a decrease in humpback whales by 40% since their peak. You'll still see good reports of sightings although Juneau is probably a better spot.

• Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:25 PM, Glaciers said:

I do wonder if the ships gets iced out, like we have twice at about 10 miles, will the Allen Marine vessel pick you up 10 miles out to start the excursion? Not sure they would have time enough for shore exploration plus 45 minutes at the face of the glacier. Or, if the ship does make it in past Haenke Island, would it really even be worth the excursion? 

Well, that has been the question a lot us have wondered about every since they proposed the excursion last year. Under one scenario, what they appear to be proposing even under normal or good ice conditions, is not picking up 10 miles out but 30 to 40 miles out. They indicate, depending upon the excursion, there will be two different pick up points from the cruise vessels, one up at Disenchantment Bay and the other down near Yakutat.

In addition, they indicate the average tour will be 2.5 hours. It is easy to understand a 2.5 hour excursion if the pickup is at Disenchantment Bay near the glacier but with a Yakutat pickup, that would be near impossible. I really wonder if they will be able to conduct said excursion in less than five hours with a near Yakutat pickup and drop off?

This all begs the question, what happens as you suggest, when the ship can't get much closer than 10 miles or so to face of Hubbard, due ice but the excursion catamaran can weave its way up closer? Does the cruise ship just sit there for 2.5 hours while the 20 guests in the catamaran have a great day?  I think not.       

• 3 weeks later...

We'll be at Hubbard on May 25 this year. This excursion was not showing on the Princess excursion list. I called and she didn't know why but thought it may have been because its sold out. It's a bit over our head for the amount of time and all the questions about it but was still interested. Thought it might have been canceled.

5 hours ago, Glaciers said:

We'll be at Hubbard on May 25 this year. This excursion was not showing on the Princess excursion list. I called and she didn't know why but thought it may have been because its sold out. It's a bit over our head for the amount of time and all the questions about it but was still interested. Thought it might have been canceled.

on our personalizer it's still possible to book for the21st of july

might it be related to the period of the year?