hubbard glacier

salabc

On 8/18/2019 at 10:27 AM, blazer58 said:

just got back, our ship (Royal Princess) only got to 7-8 miles from the glacier, our small boat was 1/4 mile, but seemed closer

Excursion was well worth the money in my opinion.

Boat held app 100 people but they only take out app 50 so there is plenty of room

Did you see any wildlife? Bears?

Hi y'all,  

we've been home a week, and I can't wait to go back.  I love Alaska.  We did this excursion on 9/4 and loved every minute of it.  Your cruise ship stops just inside of Disenchantment Bay for the transfer to the St. Theodocious excursion vessel.  Then you wave goodbye to the passengers on you ship who are watching and wondering how you got the vip treatment.  lol.( that's what the ladies we had dinner with said anyway, we had to fess up that we were on that boat)

There were quite a few people, but it didn't feel too crowded.  The top deck is only opened when the boat is not underway.  They zip away from the ship, follow the shore a bit and get to the face of the glacier long before the ship does.  The captain then spends the next hour or so slowly gliding along parallel to the face of the glacier, back and forth a few times, turning the boat occasionally, and basically having a very up close and personal visit.  You hear the 'white thunder' and the bergie seltzer as you slide through the bergie bits and growlers.  The guides and the captain of the boat are very knowledgeable and excited to share their information with you.  We spotted a harbor seal on the ice.  After they're done trolling the face of the glacier, which is about the time your ship gets to their closest point,  The 'little boat' heads over to cruise around Henke island.  That is where the stellar sea lions are hanging out on the rocks, lots a sea birds, and we even spotted a bull moose hanging out on one of the beaches enjoying the sunny afternoon.   They bring you back to the ship shortly before the ship is done, and ready to head back out of the bay.  

When you board the excursion boat, there are binoculars on almost every seat, in case you didn't bring your own. They also have a great Route Map & Field Guide on every seat.  There is a small snack bar on the first level, and some souvenirs available for purchase.  After you've left the glacier face, they bring around a smoked salmon cracker bite for you to taste. and there is water, coffee, and hot cocoa avail at no charge.  The ice for the water is from the glacier... they retrieve a large chunk and chip it up.  

Was it worth the cost?  We thought so, and would do it again in a heart beat.  being closer to the water, and the ice was something to experience.    

Edited by tutuwahineLV
additional thoughts
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tutuwahineLV said:

Hi y'all,  

we've been home a week, and I can't wait to go back.  I love Alaska.  We did this excursion on 9/4 and loved every minute of it.  Your cruise ship stops just inside of Disenchantment Bay for the transfer to the St. Theodocious excursion vessel.  Then you wave goodbye to the passengers on you ship who are watching and wondering how you got the vip treatment.  lol.( that's what the ladies we had dinner with said anyway, we had to fess up that we were on that boat)

There were quite a few people, but it didn't feel too crowded.  The top deck is only opened when the boat is not underway.  They zip away from the ship, follow the shore a bit and get to the face of the glacier long before the ship does.  The captain then spends the next hour or so slowly gliding along parallel to the face of the glacier, back and forth a few times, turning the boat occasionally, and basically having a very up close and personal visit.  You hear the 'white thunder' and the bergie seltzer as you slide through the bergie bits and growlers.  The guides and the captain of the boat are very knowledgeable and excited to share their information with you.  We spotted a harbor seal on the ice.  After they're done trolling the face of the glacier, which is about the time your ship gets to their closest point,  The 'little boat' heads over to cruise around Henke island.  That is where the stellar sea lions are hanging out on the rocks, lots a sea birds, and we even spotted a bull moose hanging out on one of the beaches enjoying the sunny afternoon.   They bring you back to the ship shortly before the ship is done, and ready to head back out of the bay.  

When you board the excursion boat, there are binoculars on almost every seat, in case you didn't bring your own. They also have a great Route Map & Field Guide on every seat.  There is a small snack bar on the first level, and some souvenirs available for purchase.  After you've left the glacier face, they bring around a smoked salmon cracker bite for you to taste. and there is water, coffee, and hot cocoa avail at no charge.  The ice for the water is from the glacier... they retrieve a large chunk and chip it up.  

Was it worth the cost?  We thought so, and would do it again in a heart beat.  being closer to the water, and the ice was something to experience.    

Couple of questions, since the price of the excursions seems to be changing, what did you pay per person. What time was your excursion and do you know if the boat had ran the same excursion earlier in the morning with people from another ship or did they tell you they only make 1 trip a day.

When did you get back on your ship............after the ship left the glacier area or did you get back on just before the ship left the glacier?

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Couple of questions, since the price of the excursions seems to be changing, what did you pay per person. What time was your excursion and do you know if the boat had ran the same excursion earlier in the morning with people from another ship or did they tell you they only make 1 trip a day.

When did you get back on your ship............after the ship left the glacier area or did you get back on just before the ship left the glacier?

I think we paid almost $250 pp  not sure as we used obc  for most of it.  We got back to the ship just before they left the glacier.  Dont know if they did any other ship that day. Our time was 1030 -2 I think.  

Here’s a few pics I took from the little boat 

1F6A8AC1-4203-4211-B75B-F2FE07FCEB25.jpeg

84308D25-8F4B-4E25-9538-D73F7FA0D558.jpeg

95D92A4D-95DA-4538-A934-0C6768E91FD9.jpeg

62A3688D-5E8F-4FB3-9DA5-540D06D32177.jpeg

Edited by tutuwahineLV

9 hours ago, tutuwahineLV said:

I think we paid almost $250 pp  not sure as we used obc  for most of it.  We got back to the ship just before they left the glacier.  Dont know if they did any other ship that day. Our time was 1030 -2 I think.  

Here’s a few pics I took from the little boat 

1F6A8AC1-4203-4211-B75B-F2FE07FCEB25.jpeg

84308D25-8F4B-4E25-9538-D73F7FA0D558.jpeg

95D92A4D-95DA-4538-A934-0C6768E91FD9.jpeg

62A3688D-5E8F-4FB3-9DA5-540D06D32177.jpeg

Well that certainly is a different perspective of the glacier from what we saw from the ship last time we were at Hubbard Glacier. Thanks for the pictures.