Is Celebrity shooting itself in the foot?

Airspeed

24 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Huh?  I was referring to the size of the PH on the M class ships.  Indeed, the location is excellent, but that's not what I was talking about.

That may be true.  I've mainly compared the current price of Sky Suites in the Caribbean from Fall 2020 to Spring 2021, running at $3,500.  Veranda's on Crystal start at $2,800, only losing 50 sq ft.  Other cabin categories may lean value back towards X, but I would choose Crystal any day for an entry level suite experience.

18 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

But will you get as much real estate?

No piano. No parquet flooring. I checked out the Princess Grand Suite.

I now had a closer look at the new Penthouse suite on the Summit. Where they had the piano they now have a ridiculous egg shaped seating apparatus. And they tore out the beautiful parquet flooring and replaced it with some grey wood crap.

What a sad sight to see. Ruined a perfectly good product... Not going into that new suite, not worth the money...

Edited by Airspeed

1 hour ago, Airspeed said:

No piano. No parquet flooring. I checked out the Princess Grand Suite.

I now had a closer look at the new Penthouse suite on the Summit. Where they had the piano they now have a ridiculous egg shaped seating apparatus. And they tore out the beautiful parquet flooring and replaced it with some grey wood crap.

What a sad sight to see. Ruined a perfectly good product... Not going into that new suite, not worth the money...

Egg shaped seat doesn’t sound comfortable. Too bad they didn’t think of recliners. More practical. I sail in 6148 this Saturday on Summit and I’m opening it up for a meet and greet for cruise critics.

20 hours ago, First family said:

Egg shaped seat doesn’t sound comfortable. Too bad they didn’t think of recliners. More practical. I sail in 6148 this Saturday on Summit and I’m opening it up for a meet and greet for cruise critics.

I have been in both 6147 and 6148. Take pictures, or even better, do a video. I did one about a year ago, here is the link:

Edited by Airspeed

So nice to see what was and, sadly, is no more.  I do have pictures, but never thought to take a video.  Unfortunately, 3 of my next 5 cruises are on the Summit, 2 of them B2B for 28 days in 6148.  Maybe we'll have a funeral.  For sure, those stupid milk cartons on the balcony will have a funeral.  If I had known what was coming, I would have concentrated on the S class ships before Ms. Hoppen gets her grubby hands on them.  It was positively criminal to take out that gorgeous mosaic entry and the beautiful parquet flooring.  I will be on the Solstice in May.  Will enjoy that at least.

16 hours ago, Airspeed said:

I have been in both 6147 and 6148. Take pictures, or even better, do a video. I did one about a year ago, here is the link:

I feel like I'm seeing  a nice space but needing a little makeover with modern more wild style - NEW SUMMIT I LOVE IT! Next time, I'm going to try and go with one of the older ships. Thanks for sharing.

5 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

So nice to see what was and, sadly, is no more.  I do have pictures, but never thought to take a video.  Unfortunately, 3 of my next 5 cruises are on the Summit, 2 of them B2B for 28 days in 6148.  Maybe we'll have a funeral.  For sure, those stupid milk cartons on the balcony will have a funeral.  If I had known what was coming, I would have concentrated on the S class ships before Ms. Hoppen gets her grubby hands on them.  It was positively criminal to take out that gorgeous mosaic entry and the beautiful parquet flooring.  I will be on the Solstice in May.  Will enjoy that at least.

Linda -- if you're looking for an Un-Revolutionized M-Class ship, I don't think Infinity is due for her 'makeover' until after next spring. I know that she won't be going into drydock until some time after our Smooth Jazz Cruise charter, next March. For a ship that's due for a dry-dock, she really was in pretty good shape, this past February. Of course, the big problem with booking her this next year is that she has a lot of charter time, blocked out.

Edited by wwcruisers

13 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

Linda -- if you're looking for an Un-Revolutionized M-Class ship, I don't think Infinity is due for her 'makeover' until after next spring. I know that she won't be going into drydock until some time after our Smooth Jazz Cruise charter, next March. For a ship that's due for a dry-dock, she really was in pretty good shape, this past February. Of course, the big problem with booking her this next year is that she has a lot of charter time, blocked out.

Infinity not going anywhere I want to go.  I don't book solely based on ship.  That's why I have all these cruises booked on Summit, for the itinerary.  Will keep an eye out for unrevolutionized S class itineraries at last minute prices.  The one I'm going on in May out of Seattle to Alaska still has lots of availability.  Grab a penthouse!

On 3/30/2019 at 11:17 AM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

But will you get as much real estate?

No, you won't.

Different strokes for different folks, but after 15 cruises on Crystal the real estate doesn't matter all that much to me. On sea days, I'm too interested in absorbing their enrichment series and overall onboard experience. On =X= cruises, I love the extra real estate to hibernate in on sea days.

After sailing EDGE .......  I can’t help but be reminded when Coca Cola “tinkered” with the original recipe in 1985, likely without adequate consideration and input from their most loyal customer base.  As I recall, that didn’t turn out so well.  🤔

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
On 4/1/2019 at 8:35 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Hi happy cruiser,

When exactly are your necct cruises, or did they already happen? If they already happened, any impressions you would like to report back? Would love to hear your impressions.

I was in 6148 after the refurbishment in April. Yep, reminded me if IKEA. And it wasn’t comfortable. That fan chair in place of the piano was useless. I did like the balcony and our Butler was great. We had a big problem with the AC. Could never get it above meat locker temp - had engineers up there 2-3 times. We paid premium, wouldn’t do it again. 

1 hour ago, Airspeed said:

Hi happy cruiser,

When exactly are your necct cruises, or did they already happen? If they already happened, any impressions you would like to report back? Would love to hear your impressions.

I'm on the Equinox in August and September which has been somewhat Hoppenized.  But not in the PH.  Just a SS.  My PH trip on the Summit is not until August 2020.

10 minutes ago, First family said:

I was in 6148 after the refurbishment in April. Yep, reminded me if IKEA. And it wasn’t comfortable. That fan chair in place of the piano was useless. I did like the balcony and our Butler was great. We had a big problem with the AC. Could never get it above meat locker temp - had engineers up there 2-3 times. We paid premium, wouldn’t do it again. 

Sorry to hear that.  The pictures do remind me of IKEA meets Target.  Or a budget motel trying to look upscale.  One hopes they will fix some of this.  I'm not back in the Summit PH until August 2020.  Hope you gave some feedback to Celebrity.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Sorry to hear that.  The pictures do remind me of IKEA meets Target.  Or a budget motel trying to look upscale.  One hopes they will fix some of this.  I'm not back in the Summit PH until August 2020.  Hope you gave some feedback to Celebrity.

The current Summit reviews are not looking good, especially regarding food.  I sincerely hope they rectify this, Princess and HAL need the competition, not a sudden nosedive towards Carnival and NCL.