Things To Do Within Walking Distance Of Port

ajtraveler66

I think there is a Margaritaville too.

Oh god NO .... do not waste a visit to Cayman sitting in a US chain rest'

Guy Harvey's is walkable and IMO MUCH preferred over MV

but if you search my posts you'll find I ALWAYS recommend a place FEW cruise folks will go

hop a taxi and ask to go to "My Bar @ Sunset House"

5d876a_8a3b825f3e30402caa076b3f29c52db1~mv2_d_5184_3456_s_4_2.webp

• Like 3

Hee, I would never go to Margaritaville but some people love it!  🙂  But yes, Capt BJ's advice is much better.  We plan to go to My Bar too but I didn't mention it since it's not in walking distance.  I got that suggestion from Capt BJ and I can't wait to go.

The area around the tender port is totally walkable...shops and such.  Beaches aren't far, and they have a lovely bus service ($2.50 pp) and they are reliable and run about every 15-20 mins.  Don't limit yourself to just ambling about, unless that's really all you want to do!

• Like 1

We love to have lunch at Casanova's, which is a short walk from the tender piers.  Very authentic Italian, a lovely waterfront location, and some of the best Italian food we've ever had.  The service is always warm and friendly, and we are really looking forward to having lunch there in just a few weeks!

• Like 1

I'd go snorkeling. Get a set from amazon and bring it with you. There is a small spot to the right of the pier, might be Eden Rock, maybe a 10 minute walk. We saw 3ft tarpon there a few years ago. And there is a shipwreck to the left of the pier that's pretty cool to see. There is a dive shop and you can use their pier to get in, swim out maybe 50 ft. Seven Mile Beach is also really gorgeous, you can get a cab or city bus anywhere along it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:38 AM, zachary16 said:

I'd go snorkeling. Get a set from amazon and bring it with you. There is a small spot to the right of the pier, might be Eden Rock, maybe a 10 minute walk. We saw 3ft tarpon there a few years ago. And there is a shipwreck to the left of the pier that's pretty cool to see. There is a dive shop and you can use their pier to get in, swim out maybe 50 ft. Seven Mile Beach is also really gorgeous, you can get a cab or city bus anywhere along it.

Hi There!  This is exactly what I would like to do, but what do you do with your "stuff"?  Since this is a tender port, I'm going to have some valuables I can't just leave unattended.  There are 3 of us, I guess one can stay behind while the others snorkel?  :-( It's always me, the Mom, that gets stuck behind watching stuff, lol.  Thanks for the info!

Yes - we usually trade off. I find most areas pretty safe and don't have an issue leaving our stuff on the beach. I'm also purposeful about what I bring off the boat; I don't bring a passport or phone, or unnecessary cash. Keep IDs and a credit card in my swim trunk's pocket.

On 2/7/2019 at 5:16 PM, Capt_BJ said:

I think there is a Margaritaville too.

Oh god NO .... do not waste a visit to Cayman sitting in a US chain rest'

Guy Harvey's is walkable and IMO MUCH preferred over MV

but if you search my posts you'll find I ALWAYS recommend a place FEW cruise folks will go

hop a taxi and ask to go to "My Bar @ Sunset House"

5d876a_8a3b825f3e30402caa076b3f29c52db1~mv2_d_5184_3456_s_4_2.webp

How far is it from the pier?  Is there anywhere to swim near here?  We're looking for a nice place to have drinks/eat/swim that aren't so congested!  Not really interested in doing any of the normal "cruise ship" type excursions LOL

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chefpammy said:

How far is it from the pier?  Is there anywhere to swim near here?  We're looking for a nice place to have drinks/eat/swim that aren't so congested!  Not really interested in doing any of the normal "cruise ship" type excursions LOL

This is where we plan to go, I have in my notes MyBar is 1.0 mi/20 min walk/3 min drive from cruise port.  If you walk another 15 minutes, there is a place called Smith Cove but IDK if you can swim there.  It looks pretty though.  But at that point you are 1.5 miles/30 minute walk from port.

On 3/8/2019 at 6:57 PM, Beachiekeen said:

This is where we plan to go, I have in my notes MyBar is 1.0 mi/20 min walk/3 min drive from cruise port.  If you walk another 15 minutes, there is a place called Smith Cove but IDK if you can swim there.  It looks pretty though.  But at that point you are 1.5 miles/30 minute walk from port.

Thank you for the information!  I will check it out.

SSH is less than a mile from the main tender area .... there are NOT sidewalks all the way ... but I've walked it MANY times since 85 and as recently as last Nov .... no issues ..... just remember they drive on the LEFT aka OTHER SIDE ......

Smith Cove.jpg

overview of SSH .... IMO great snorkeling or shore diving ... I have nearly 100 hours on the reef here from many week long stays at the hotel.  I see something different every time. Dive shop is super friendly as are the bar folks and there is no better way to conclude a dive in Cayman then My Bar

sunsethouse.jpg

Smith's is a bit down the road but many folks staying at Sunset will walk here for sand and snorkeling (no sand at Sunset ... it is iron shore territory)

Smith's is small and (so far) not overrun by cruise folks.  There is a small bathhouse with a shower/changing but beyond this expect nothing more than a picnic table or two.  NO BAR .... NO CHAIRS or umbrellas ..... but nice snorkeling for beginners (if you bring your own gear) ... unlike most of 7 Mile .... there IS coral close to shore here . . . occasionally the ice cream guy shows up . . .

I'd taxi to Smith's and play around maybe bringing water from the ship ... then walk to Sunset House / My Bar for libations.  Ask the bar'keep to call a taxi when time to go ...... many taxi drivers hang at Sunset waiting for a call ..... it is far enuf from town to not be over run by cruisers . . . 

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2019 at 4:48 PM, Capt_BJ said:

SSH is less than a mile from the main tender area .... there are NOT sidewalks all the way ... but I've walked it MANY times since 85 and as recently as last Nov .... no issues ..... just remember they drive on the LEFT aka OTHER SIDE ......

Smith Cove.jpg

I'd taxi to Smith's and play around maybe bringing water from the ship ... then walk to Sunset House / My Bar for libations.  Ask the bar'keep to call a taxi when time to go ...... many taxi drivers hang at Sunset waiting for a call ..... it is far enuf from town to not be over run by cruisers . . . 

THIS!!! .... Is what I’ve been trying to find!  A little snorkeling,  a place for drinks and snacks, away from the crowds , with a “local” experience ...that we could plan on our own and was fairly close to the tender port.  Thank you so much Capt BJ!  Tips like this are gold.

• Like 1

We loving going to My Bar at Sunset House as chefpammy recommends. However, we like to walk. It's about 1.25 miles each way.  Take Boilers Road to Walkers Road and cut back to the sea on Ellery Merren Drive. That route is much easier than walking on Church St which does not have sidewalks and does have heavy traffic.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We walked to Eden Rock and snorkeled.  They have lockers you can rent for you stuff.  I think they are $5 with a $15 deposit you get back.  

I am currently doing a review of our cruise on the carnival magic.  I just posted about eden rock with some pictures.   I can't edit my signature right now.  But look under my profile.

Edited by brookeq
add more

We took a bus from bus depot in town to spotts beach and snorkeled for an hour. Then took a bus back to town and walked to eden, where we rented the locker, snorkeled for another hour then walked to spotts which was 1.2 miles. We stayed there for a quick swim and explored then walked back to eden. We ended up getting some gelato then took tender back. Great day and cheap.

• 1 month later...

If you want different types of restaurants in port, then you might want to consider Bread and Chocolate http://www.cafe.ky/ - it's a Vegan bistro - I am not a Vegan but was really impressed at the food.  Personally, I'm not a big fan of Guy Harvey's but I know many like them - it feels a little too touristy for me, but I would do that over Margaritaville any day!

Snorkel from Eden Rock is totally worth it, and that is walkable.

But doing the taxi to Sunset House (and maybe a snorkel there) with lunch at MyBar would be a good idea, too.  Smith Cove does have very good swimming out of little sandy coves.  There is also a "jumping rock" there - just no facilities, so pick up food and beverage as appropriate before you go there.

• Like 1

Well I saw this get bumped up so I thought I would report back.  We ended up having lunch at Guy Harvey's, but didn't make it to My Bar--just not enough time.  BUT, Guy Harvey's was a great suggestion, it was lovely and we had a great view of the water and our ship.  We will just have to come back so we can go to My Bar!  

GH.thumb.JPG.0e722083338f424898fb2ffdbd6759df.JPG