Excursions Le Havre

Bigmike911

I was looking at possible excursions for my visit to Le Havre in September on the Hamburg, Southampton,Le Havre, NYC crossing. I thought it might be fun to do the US or British landing beaches. Then I looked at the price $999. This has to be some kind of systems failure on the Cunard site. I don't see many folk willing to fork over a grand for an excursion. The visit to Rouen, A taste of Normandy and Versaille are also $999. The visit to Honfleur is $72 and Giverny are $99. 

A day earlier in Southampton Windsor Castle is $113 and Stonehenge is $76. for comparison. So I guess my French choices are limited. What do others think?

The specific shore excursions that will be offered for your voyage will eventually be shown in the voyage personaliser. Look for them there about 12 weeks prior to your voyage, perhaps a bit sooner. The excursions shown in the "Destinations" section of the main Cunard website are possible shore excursions that might be offered. And since this is still a relatively new format for the website, I would not put much faith in any of the prices that are shown. Those $999 prices are probably just place holders for the actual prices. I don't remember the old website format ever listed the prices for shore excursions on the main website, just in the voyage personaliser.

I can tell you we did a Cunard shore excursion called the "The American Landing Beaches" from Cherbourg on a Queen Victoria cruise way back in October 2009. This may not help much since that's now almost 10 years ago and it was from a different port, but the cost of that excursion at that time was $145 per person.

Edited by bluemarble

3 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

We are on that  cruise also but the Voyage Persinalizer does not show shore tours yet ? I’m sure $999 is a glitch anyway .

Where are you seeing this tour available ?

Here is a link to the page on Cunard's US website showing the list of possible excursions from Le Havre.

https://www.cunard.com/en-us/ports/le-havre-france.excursions#sort=name asc&start=0&rows=12

Just to follow up on my earlier reply, I took a look at the list of possible shore excursions Cunard is showing from Cherbourg. I am seeing the following offerings there for excursions related to the D-Day landing beaches.

Cotentin D Day Landing Beaches - $84

The American Landing Beaches - $156

The British Landing Beaches - $999

The American Or British Landing Beaches - $999

Not sure how much that helps with what might actually be offered from Le Havre, but I think it does tend to show how those lists of excursions on the "Destination" pages of the main website are still a work in progress.

I am sure the $999 price on the excursions must be a placeholder.   Voyage Q921B, on the old website (US), had "Glasgow On Your Own" (coach from Greenock to Glasgow) at something like $40, now in the new website,  it, (and many other excursions) are listed at $999

1 hour ago, Bigmike911 said:

I was looking at possible excursions for my visit to Le Havre in September on the Hamburg, Southampton,Le Havre, NYC crossing. I thought it might be fun to do the US or British landing beaches. Then I looked at the price $999. This has to be some kind of systems failure on the Cunard site. I don't see many folk willing to fork over a grand for an excursion. The visit to Rouen, A taste of Normandy and Versaille are also $999. The visit to Honfleur is $72 and Giverny are $99. 

A day earlier in Southampton Windsor Castle is $113 and Stonehenge is $76. for comparison. So I guess my French choices are limited. What do others think?

ignore the $999 just one of the appalling mistakes on the new website  never been to Le Havre  on a cruise but know the area well having taken my father ex Norweigian  Navy many times  P& O website has sample excursions which are usually identical to Cunard in most cases only D Day trip is to the British sector, Pegasus Bridge , Arromanches, mulberry harbour remains and excellent museum, time given 10.5 hours total trip with 5 hours travelling there and back

Omaha and Utah are too far  from Le Havre I suspect

other offerings are Rouen OYO and also a guided tour, Honfleur, various wine tasting tours if that your thing and Etretat    which would be my choice, beautiful setting in a bay surrounded by high chalk cliffs, sea stacks and arches, might however be biased as it was honeymoon destination many years ago 

They did offer the American beaches and the British beaches for the same price. I will look again closer to sailing and perhaps the issue will be resolved. I cannot imagine a company putting a web site together with as many errors as the Cunard site seems to have. 

Oh, sorry, Bigmike911. I see now where you are probably seeing the list of shore excursions for your particular voyage within the Itinerary details for that voyage, not just on the general "Destination" pages for Le Havre. When I go to the itinerary for voyage M930 and select "Find out more" about Le Havre, I see this list of eight shore excursions that make it look like ones that would actually be offered on that voyage. That's as opposed to the list of 14 possible excursions listed on the Le Havre "Destinations" page.

Rouen Revealed - $999

Picturesque Honfleur - $72

A Taste Of Normandy - $999

The British D-Day Landings - $999

The American D-Day Landings - $999

Monet's Garden & Giverny -  $99

Rouen On Your Own - $58

The Palace And Gardens Of Versailles - $999

I'm not sure what to make of that though. I'm not willing to say that's the list of excursions that will be offered on your voyage until you see them listed for sale in the voyage personaliser. As you say, check back later for further updates.

Edited by bluemarble

10 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Oh, sorry, Bigmike911. I see now where you are probably seeing the list of shore excursions for your particular voyage within the Itinerary details for that voyage, not just on the general "Destination" pages for Le Havre. When I go to the itinerary for voyage M930 and select "Find out more" about Le Havre, I see this list of eight shore excursions that make it look like ones that would actually be offered on that voyage. That's as opposed to the list of 14 possible excursions listed on the Le Havre "Destinations" page.

Rouen Revealed - $999

Rouen On Your Own - $58

The Palace And Gardens Of Versailles - Cost $999

I don't know what to make of that though. I'm not willing to say that's the list of excursions that will be offered on your voyage until you see them listed for sale in the voyage personaliser. As you say, check back later for further updates.

Well, I guess time will tell. I have it down to two possibilities Honfleur, and the American Beaches. 

7 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

Well, I guess time will tell. I have it down to two possibilities Honfleur, and the American Beaches. 

7 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

on UK WS there appears to be no Le Havre excursions listed either in destinations or for your  particular cruise I now ignore the Cunard WS and look at P& O WS which as I said usually offers the same excursion menu, Honfleur is well worth a visit

Edited by sogne

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some information I gathered for a roundtrip crossing from New York in April that I just booked. I thought it might be interesting to compare what the voyage itinerary on the new US website is showing for "Port Activities" versus what the Voyage Personaliser is showing as shore excursions that can be booked.

Southampton

Itinerary

Royal Windsor Castle - $113

Prehistoric Stonehenge - $76

Bombay Sapphire Distillery - $110

Voyage Personaliser

Royal Windsor Castle - Adult: $114

Prehistoric Stonehenge - Adult: $96

Bombay Sapphire Distillery - Adult: $110

Cathedral City of Winchester - Adult: $69

Various Private Tours of Southampton or London - Prices ranging from $560 to $1,100

New York

Itinerary

New York Highlights - $72

New York Insight & Top of Rockefeller - $102

New York Insight & Top of Rockefeller Small Group - $133

Ellis Island by Local Ferry - $59

Voyage Personaliser

New York Highlights - Adult: $76

New York Insight & Top of Rockefeller - Adult: $108

New York Insight & Top of Rockefeller Small Group - Adult: $142

Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island - Adult: $99

Open Top Bus & Skyline Cruise - Adult: $89

Urban Adventures - Tenements, Tales & Tastes - Adult: $79

Urban Adventures - Brownstone Brooklyn - Adult: $79

In this case at least, I think we can conclude what the voyage itinerary shows is an approximation of what is actually being offered, both in terms of the excursions themselves and the prices.

So, Bigmike911, keep the faith that the American D-Day Landing Beaches excursion will be offered for you in Le Havre and at a reasonable price. As you say, time will tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Here's some information I gathered for a roundtrip crossing from New York in April that I just booked. I thought it might be interesting to compare what the voyage itinerary on the new US website is showing for "Port Activities" versus what the Voyage Personaliser is showing as shore excursions that can be booked.

Southampton

Itinerary

Royal Windsor Castle - $113

Prehistoric Stonehenge - $76

Bombay Sapphire Distillery - $110

Voyage Personaliser

Royal Windsor Castle - Adult: $114

Prehistoric Stonehenge - Adult: $96

Bombay Sapphire Distillery - Adult: $110

Cathedral City of Winchester - Adult: $69

Various Private Tours of Southampton or London - Prices ranging from $560 to $1,100

New York

Itinerary

New York Highlights - $72

New York Insight & Top of Rockefeller - $102

New York Insight & Top of Rockefeller Small Group - $133

Ellis Island by Local Ferry - $59

Voyage Personaliser

New York Highlights - Adult: $76

New York Insight & Top of Rockefeller - Adult: $108

New York Insight & Top of Rockefeller Small Group - Adult: $142

Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island - Adult: $99

Open Top Bus & Skyline Cruise - Adult: $89

Urban Adventures - Tenements, Tales & Tastes - Adult: $79

Urban Adventures - Brownstone Brooklyn - Adult: $79

In this case at least, I think we can conclude what the voyage itinerary shows is an approximation of what is actually being offered, both in terms of the excursions themselves and the prices.

So, Bigmike911, keep the faith that the American D-Day Landing Beaches excursion will be offered for you in Le Havre and at a reasonable price. As you say, time will tell.

I am hoping that for Southampton they have the occasionally offered New Forest Tour. I have done Windsor a number of times and have been to Stonehenge at least four times. I would do the Bombay Sapphire, but I am not a gin drinker. When I was in Southampton last time, I did the walking tour/Titanic Trail, which was interesting but wore me out. It looks like my options may be limited in Southampton. 

The Monet’s House and Gardens trip was amazing (albeit because of the place itself rather than because of anything Cunard organised). Thankfully the weather was lovely too, with a few nice places to sit and enjoy sandwiches/cake/coffee/wine. 

Although don’t get to excited if there is a guided tour included - after we arrived and was shown the toilets and the main street the ‘guide’ just said you don’t need me and everything is self explanatory.....

On 2/27/2019 at 11:36 AM, AspirationalFlyer said:

The Monet’s House and Gardens trip was amazing (albeit because of the place itself rather than because of anything Cunard organised). Thankfully the weather was lovely too, with a few nice places to sit and enjoy sandwiches/cake/coffee/wine. 

Although don’t get to excited if there is a guided tour included - after we arrived and was shown the toilets and the main street the ‘guide’ just said you don’t need me and everything is self explanatory.....

But the one thing the Cunard tour does offer you is that the ship will not leave until your Cunard tour bus has returned. 

10 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

But the one thing the Cunard tour does offer you is that the ship will not leave until your Cunard tour bus has returned. 

Of course. Agreed. But the points are exclusive of one another. 

If you pay for a tour, you should get a tour. If they say that all they are doing is dropping you off and picking you up then that is fine too provided it is clear at the point of sale. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2019 at 10:22 AM, Bigmike911 said:

I am hoping that for Southampton they have the occasionally offered New Forest Tour. I have done Windsor a number of times and have been to Stonehenge at least four times. I would do the Bombay Sapphire, but I am not a gin drinker. When I was in Southampton last time, I did the walking tour/Titanic Trail, which was interesting but wore me out. It looks like my options may be limited in Southampton. 

I have one more data point to report regarding Southampton shore excursions. The excursions were just posted in voyage personaliser for our upcoming July 14, 2019 call in Southampton on QM2. On that day, they are offering these same four excursions (plus private tours of Southampton and London).

Cathedral City of Winchester

Prehistoric Stonehenge

Bombay Sapphire Distillery

Royal Windsor Castle

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that they decide to offer a New Forest excursion on your voyage in September.

If you have never been to Honfleur I would suggest it.  It has been said to be the birthplace of Impressionist Painters and it is where Samuel D. Champlain sailed out of to make his North American discoveries.  You will want to stay longer than the tour..so check out the bus schedule for Le Havre ..it is right there by the docks.  Don't worry about getting back to the ship before it leaves... by time the D Day group return ...well let's just say that because of the distance you spend more time on the bus then you do the beach...it's like St Michaels Mount....as far as traveling.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/4/2019 at 5:56 PM, bluemarble said:

Rouen Revealed - $999

Rouen On Your Own - $58

The Palace And Gardens Of Versailles - $999

Now that we're getting closer to the September voyage to Le Havre, I figured the actual shore excursions and prices might be available in the Voyage Personaliser for those on that voyage. If so, I'm curious, how does this list of possible excursions shown in the voyage itinerary compare to what is being offered in Voyage Personaliser and what are the real prices?

22 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Now that we're getting closer to the September voyage to Le Havre, I figured the actual shore excursions and prices might be available in the Voyage Personaliser for those on that voyage. If so, I'm curious, how does this list of possible excursions shown in the voyage itinerary compare to what is being offered in Voyage Personaliser and what are the real prices?

The D-Day landings were $145 

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2019 at 1:35 PM, myjillian said:

If you have never been to Honfleur I would suggest it.  It has been said to be the birthplace of Impressionist Painters and it is where Samuel D. Champlain sailed out of to make his North American discoveries.  You will want to stay longer than the tour..so check out the bus schedule for Le Havre ..it is right there by the docks.  Don't worry about getting back to the ship before it leaves... by time the D Day group return ...well let's just say that because of the distance you spend more time on the bus then you do the beach...it's like St Michaels Mount....as far as traveling.

There is also an excellent museum devoted to Eric Satie (classical music composer) in Honfleur. If you know his music, it is fascinating. Also, a taxi for four people from Le  Havre to Honfleur and return will cost about 120 euros. The driver will either wait for you or return in about four hours.