Notes from Armonia Miami-Havana Jan 2019

Beamafar

3 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Yes ... on this class of ship, Fantastica suite guests can enjoy MyChoice dining along with Aurea Suite guests.  The MyChoice restaurant is La Pergola, on deck 6.  You can also have breakfast and lunch here (check the daily programs as it's closed for lunch on some port days.  It's also closed on disembarkation day).  While the menus will be the same as in the other MDR, the service is better.

Darn, I always look forward to missing the craziness of the embarkation buffet by eating in the sit down restaurant.

2 hours ago, speedyt said:

Not trying to hijack or anything but I was thinking about trying this myself. What did you do to upgrade just call them and ask if they have anything? Thanks. 

Lol. I keep an eye on prices and when it went down for our cruise Fri, I called my TA and got it arranged (or if you booked directly, call MSC) 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Darn, I always look forward to missing the craziness of the embarkation buffet by eating in the sit down restaurant.

Same here!  I was very disappointed that the MDR wasn't open for lunch when we embarked.  As soon as we're on, we've always headed straight to the MDR for lunch on other ships (always in the Med, where the embarkation port is just another POC, so the MDR is open to guests who'd embarked on previous days).

27 minutes ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Well we may just eat a big brunch and board around 1pm then since it's just s buffet. Grab a slice of pizza and wait for dinner...

In fairness, the burgers on the ship are really nice, with plenty of salad ingredients on the side to choose from.

On 3/17/2019 at 11:35 AM, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Lol. I keep an eye on prices and when it went down for our cruise Fri, I called my TA and got it arranged (or if you booked directly, call MSC) 

So do you think it would be worth it for me to upgrade to a suite? I currently have a room in 13008 which I think may be partially blocked view but not sure. It is me and my wife and 2 kids. Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, speedyt said:

So do you think it would be worth it for me to upgrade to a suite? I currently have a room in 13008 which I think may be partially blocked view but not sure. It is me and my wife and 2 kids. Thanks for your help!

If the prices dropped... sure. Call your TA. They can also tell you if your current cabin or one you are thinking about might have that issue.  The S2 are more square footage than the balcony for sure.

Edited by AerynSun_JohnCrighton
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2019 at 3:59 PM, Beamafar said:

I'll post the menus now for our second day at sea (which should have been the Jamaica stop) while I'm logged into Tapatalk (having problems with it).

Here's the breakfast menu; there was an insert each morning but I think it repeated a couple of times:

650a885452f1ef7775d433d9824f05a8.jpg

fce8ea7029e22b7a3e5c71ff3b7f5927.jpg

... and the daily specials:

79068d5ad9b5a83c858443bc24047bb4.jpg

The smoked salmon was particularly good on this ship:

2749e3216013b1fbea0cc66f92103ea4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have yet to find smoked salmon on any of the MSC ships I have sailed on.  I have this to look forward to on Armonia.  lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lifeasme123 said:

I have yet to find smoked salmon on any of the MSC ships I have sailed on.  I have this to look forward to on Armonia.  lol

I always have smoked salmon for breakfast on the ships, L - never had a problem getting it.  They don't have it in the buffet - only in the MDR.  I've had it in the YC as a starter for dinner, too IIRC.

On 2/8/2019 at 1:32 PM, Beamafar said:

We certainly got the same level of attention from both our steward and all the crew in the dining room as we did when we were in an Aurea suite on Sinfonia and I wouldn't hesitate to book a Fantastica suite again.  There is a caveat, however, and that is in relation to the cabin locations ...  all of the F suites are beneath the grill or pizza area of the buffet and the pool deck (I intend to discuss this later on);  although some of the A suites are located beneath the pool deck, too, on deck 10, others are on deck 12, beneath the private Solarium, which is a better location (though they're at the forward part of the ship, which has its disadvantages, too, especially with the rough weather that we had).

The Fantastica suites on the Lirica class were added during the Renaissance ('stretching') programme.  Now ... these differ from Fantastica balcony cabins.  As you can see from the cabin photos, the room is bigger and, IIRC, is the same size as the Aurea suite we had on Sinfonia (there are no Aurea balcony cabins on Lirica-class - only suites).

Bea, I couldn't find any further comments regarding the location of the F suites, what would be the caveat? We'll be on deck 10 too.

3 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Bea, I couldn't find any further comments regarding the location of the F suites, what would be the caveat? We'll be on deck 10 too.

Oops ... I totally forgot to go back to the subject, CF.

There were noises now and again from overhead (we were beneath the Pizza & Pasta area) but I was awake when I heard them.  There was a bit of a thud around 7am on the first morning;  DH was asleep and it didn't disturb him.  It got a bit noisier around 7.30am and there still wasn't a budge out of him.  If you're a light sleeper, it may be an issue, but I felt at the time that it was nothing more than if there was a cabin overhead.  In fact, I've heard more noises from overhead cabins than I did from the area above.  However, it may be a different story for the cabins below the sundeck areas.

Thanks Bea, I figured as much. We will also be below II Girasole, although on the opposite side to you.  I thought it would possibly be quieter than being below the sundeck. Fortunately, I sleep through most things and DH is always awake with the larks anyway.

We'd prefer 12 but the offer we've booked for an F suite includes Premium drinks and there is quite a saving from an Aurea Suite, I can live without the Aurea perks, we don't miss many being Black card or pay individually, i.e. the Top 13.

If I can work out a way steal the butler from Meraviglia to Armonia, happy days 😉

I feel the very same way (about the F suite vs Aurea - though a butler would be very nice!).  The only real Aurea perk of interest to me is MyChoice dining (the Black Card benefits cover most of the rest, as you say);  with that being included for FSs, I don't see the need to go any higher on Lirica-class.  Anyway, most of the Aurea Suites are below a sundeck area - much more chances of hearing noises from above as sunbeds get pullled about very early in the morning.

On the subject of the Top 13 - I'll see you on Meraviglia re that!  😉(No emoji to indicate a tip to the nose LOL).

You've done well to score not just the drinks package, but the VC discount, too - nice one!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Thanks Bea, I figured as much. We will also be below II Girasole, although on the opposite side to you. 

I've just realised we were on the grill side (1131, not the Pizza side - I was reading the deck plans wrong  🙄)

MyChoice dining is the key for us too.

The most noise we've had from above, and it wasn't significant was on Orchestra when under the Top 16. We are in the same location next time so it hasn't dissuaded us from that deck.

I look forward to your tipping, 206 days to go!

With the deal offered and already being there, as I was convincing DH, it would've been rude not to 😜  Although it might work out more expensive when I include those excess baggage fees 🙄

Edited by CruisingFox27
  • Haha 1

On 2/8/2019 at 2:52 PM, CruisingFox27 said:

We're booked until March 2020, including a long repositioning so DH has forbidden me from booking anything else (yeah, right!) but it's most useful to know we have other options that would be suitable.

So much for DH's position!   😜

• Haha 1

Thank you for the updated menu! So different from all I have seen. We will be first time MSCcruisers in April 22. Headed to Cuba. Your pictures have renewed my excitement! I’m a loyal NCL fan, but looking for options. 

On this back-to-back, did you have to totally disembark in Miami half-way through, only to reboard later? Did you leave your stuff in the cabin? And get a new key card?

Assuming you had a late flight, how did you spend your day in Miami after disembarkation?

If this has already been covered in your posts, sorry, but the thread is that long!

Cheers, John.

Okay, so just to make sure I have done everything right ...

I booked my cruise in November, and I have not done anything regarding a visa since. Is that bad? Do I need to apply through the US State Department to get the visa, or will the one I can buy for $75 cover me for my two days in Havana? Because if I need to get a whole other visa, I should start that process, like, now 😄

Further, if the $75 shipboard visa is good enough, then will I still be able to just walk on and off freely to either walk around on my own or book a tour with a local company? I have found some local guides and companies I would much rather go through than MSC. If I am going to book with a local guide, will I need to provide that verification when I leave? Will I have to indicate something different on my visa when I get it, either from the state department here or from the ship? 

Sorry about the questions and I'm sorry if you answered this to someone else after your cruise thread - I read through it and then just asked without reading the comments! Thank you in advance!

2 hours ago, OceansOfTravels said:

I booked my cruise in November, and I have not done anything regarding a visa since. Is that bad? Do I need to apply through the US State Department to get the visa, or will the one I can buy for $75 cover me for my two days in Havana? Because if I need to get a whole other visa, I should start that process, like, now 😄

Further, if the $75 shipboard visa is good enough, then will I still be able to just walk on and off freely to either walk around on my own or book a tour with a local company? I have found some local guides and companies I would much rather go through than MSC. If I am going to book with a local guide, will I need to provide that verification when I leave? Will I have to indicate something different on my visa when I get it, either from the state department here or from the ship? 

Sorry about the questions and I'm sorry if you answered this to someone else after your cruise thread - I read through it and then just asked without reading the comments! Thank you in advance!

Hi Yes you’ll get the Visa for $75 once you’re onboard 

And yes you can get on and off the ship and do private excursions 

3 hours ago, OceansOfTravels said:

HI OOT ... If you read post #102 on the following page, it outlines what you need to know about how the Cuba visit is handled:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2631573-notes-from-armonia-miami-havana-jan-2019/page/5/

5 hours ago, Bollinge said:

On this back-to-back, did you have to totally disembark in Miami half-way through, only to reboard later? Did you leave your stuff in the cabin? And get a new key card?

Assuming you had a late flight, how did you spend your day in Miami after disembarkation?

If this has already been covered in your posts, sorry, but the thread is that long!

Cheers, John.

John ... I'm not sure if this question is directed at me.  We didn't do a B2B so I can only tell you what I've read on the forum in relation to B2Bs that begin/return to Miami.  The ship has to be cleared so you would have to disembark and then re-embark some time later.  I don't know how MSC handles that, though, or how long it may take.  Perhaps you could plan something to do for the day - even the morning - to pass the time rather than wait around the terminal?

You may only need a new cruisecard if you're changing cabins.

We stayed over for a couple of nights in Miami as there was no direct flights home 'til then.