Best city near Long Beach?

Seagirl123

Hi all. Looking for a hotel within 20-30 minutes from the Long Beach terminal. We’ll have a rental so don’t need to be super close. Is there a neighboring city that’s safe? I know nothing about the area but keep reading about unsafe areas of Long Beach so wondering how the surrounding areas are. Thanks in advance. 

For just one night or more?? For just one there are plenty of hotels in downtown Long Beach that are perfectly fine with good restaurants in walking distance. You don't need to look for another town for just one night!!! There are many posts about recommended hotels.

IF you are coming in a few days before and want to do some LA sightseeing then stay in LA.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Seagirl123 said:

Hi all. Looking for a hotel within 20-30 minutes from the Long Beach terminal. We’ll have a rental so don’t need to be super close. Is there a neighboring city that’s safe? I know nothing about the area but keep reading about unsafe areas of Long Beach so wondering how the surrounding areas are. Thanks in advance. 

What are you trying to accomplish?  How much time do you have?

If you are just looking to save money, you may as well stay in Long Beach.  The nearby towns that are cheaper are cheaper for a reason. 

But, if it's because you have time in the area and want to see and do other things, then it depends on what you want to see and do...and how much time you have.  Generally, going North, stay closer to the coast:  Palos Verdes, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, Marina Del Rey, Venice, Santa Monica are all nice.  If you have a lot of time in the area, nothing beats Santa Monica...but your hotel rates will far exceed Long Beach.  But you would be closer to the main Los Angeles area attractions.  Going South, Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, Costa Mesa, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach are all nice--but even farther from LA area attractions. 

Or you could stay in Anaheim or Buena Park--but you're competing with people staying there to visit theme parks.

You can get a "deal" on a hotel in some more inland areas in South Orange County. During our evacuation from the Woolsey Fire, we stayed at the Marriott Courtyard in Laguna Hills--for about $100 per night including hot breakfast--but you're stranded in boring suburbia...absolutely nothing special.  But, if you're just looking to kill a night and you've flown into John Wayne...and looking to stay cheap, it works...But what would be the point?  Boredom and less convenience only to save a very few dollars?

Absolutely don't look at areas immediately adjacent to Long Beach on the north--like Compton, Carson, Lynwood, Paramount, Willowbrook.

For optimal convenience before cruising out of Long Beach, stay in the recommended area of Long Beach.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 5:20 PM, Seagirl123 said:

Thanks guys! Mainly looking to save money but if the surrounding areas aren’t great I’ll just stick with downtown Long Beach. 

Just for your info, the surrounding area mentioned in previous post are not really immediately adjacent.

Compton---12 miles

Lynwood --14 miles

Paramount--12 miles

Willowbrook --17 miles

I am very familiar with all of those areas because I worked in all of those areas for many years as a law enforcement officer. They are not the best areas of Los Angeles County, and they really don't have nice hotels for tourists to stay.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Husky61 said:

Just for your info, the surrounding area mentioned in previous post are not really immediately adjacent.

Compton---12 miles

Lynwood --14 miles

Paramount--12 miles

Willowbrook --17 miles

I am very familiar with all of those areas because I worked in all of those areas for many years as a law enforcement officer. They are not the best areas of Los Angeles County, and they really don't have nice hotels for tourists to stay.

Actually, the cities of Compton, Carson and Paramount ALL share a border with the City of Long Beach.  The City of Lynwood stretches down to just south of Rosecrans Blvd., along the 710 Freeway--below the 105...which puts it within several blocks of the border of North Long Beach--which is north of the 91...

Long Beach, itself, is a fairly big city.  So, sure, it is a distance from the port up to the northern reaches of Long Beach...but those ARE the closest cities to Long Beach in that direction.  I am assuming Husky is somehow measuring from the port to the center of those towns, perhaps?  And using an app that bases distance on a driving route?  If you want closer to the port, then you are still in Long Beach--and I would not stay in North Long Beach for any reason either.

There are areas adjacent or close to Long Beach in OTHER directions that are very nice--Seal Beach to the East, Palos Verdes (skipping San Pedro for a moment--and Wilmington--which is not all that nice).  But you are likely paying as much to stay in Seal Beach or a lot more for Palos Verdes and are gaining some inconvenience.

Wise to stay in the port area of Long Beach.

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Thanks 1

Of course I was referring to the distance from the Long Beach cruise terminal to those cities.  I don't know how much time you have spent patrolling those cities, but I know how much I have.  Those cities are not immediately adjacent to the port.  So I'm curious, how much time have you spent in Willowbrook, Compton, etc?

1 hour ago, Husky61 said:

Of course I was referring to the distance from the Long Beach cruise terminal to those cities.  I don't know how much time you have spent patrolling those cities, but I know how much I have.  Those cities are not immediately adjacent to the port.  So I'm curious, how much time have you spent in Willowbrook, Compton, etc?

Seriously?  You're challenging my knowledge of the area?  And "how much time I have spent PATROLLING those cities"?

Look, unlike you, living up in Washington, I have lived in virtually all parts of the Los Angeles area--from Orange County to the "Inland Empire" to Santa Barbara virtually my entire life.  Specifically, as to this area, I lived in Gardena as a child...and had close family living there for many years after.  And family in Lakewood as well.  I worked in Compton for awhile--for a company on Artesia Blvd.  My wife, after we had our kids, went back to school at Cal State Long Beach and earned a Master's degree from there.  My college major at UCLA was in Cultural and Historical Geography and I spent quite a bit of that time studying the Geography of Los Angeles.  After College, I went to Law School then worked for 35 years as a transactional real estate attorney with a few large employers in the Southern California area...and transacted many real estate deals--largely commercial/industrial real estate--in the area.  My last employer had several major facilities in the immediate area--including a major facility in Harbor City, another in Bellflower, and one in Downey...plus smaller facilities in South Los Angeles, Long Beach and other area towns...the business we were in required a fairly good coverage of the entire area.  For many of these I bought and sold the properties, fought for entitlements with city governments in all of these jurisdictions, leased other properties...attended meetings and became involved in local affairs.  The company also had a large budget for charitable contributions and I worked on a good many of these deals--including turning over antiquated facilities to local charitable uses.  So, yes, I know how well YOU think YOU know this area...but I am guessing I may have a bit more experience and a bit more diversified experience than you.

That said, back to the question at hand.  The question was NOT regarding areas "immediately adjacent to the port".  The only cities IMMEDIATELY adjacent to the port, of course, are Long Beach, San Pedro and Wilmington... But, of course, those cities--or, at least Long Beach and San Pedro--are oft discussed here...The OP's question was:  "Looking for a hotel within 20-30 minutes from the Long Beach terminal. We’ll have a rental so don’t need to be super close. Is there a neighboring city that’s safe? I know nothing about the area but keep reading about unsafe areas of Long Beach so wondering how the surrounding areas are."

The way I read that, the OP was NOT looking at Long Beach...They likely understood that there is a good area of Long Beach...and other areas of Long Beach may be unsafe...and was asking about "neighboring cities" within a "20-30 minute drive" that might be safe.  Hence, I was going OUTSIDE of Long Beach to its neighboring cities--and those I mentioned qualify as "neighboring" to the north...and are easily within a 20-30 minute drive.  And the point was that I would not go there.  I am guessing, Husky, that you would not either.  No, there aren't too many hotels in those towns...but, yes, there are some...and I would not send a tourist there. Interestingly enough, a cruise critic member on one of my Roll Calls just asked me about a hotel she had found in Carson...So, yes, cruisers unfamiliar with the LA area ARE doing internet searches for cheap hotels...and DO find those geographically undesirable places--largely because they are looking for a bargain...and those hotels DO show up as within 20-30 minutes of the port.  So, it certainly does not hurt to make the point here.

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

Seriously?  You're challenging my knowledge of the area?  And "how much time I have spent PATROLLING those cities"?

Look, unlike you, living up in Washington, I have lived in virtually all parts of the Los Angeles area--from Orange County to the "Inland Empire" to Santa Barbara virtually my entire life.  Specifically, as to this area, I lived in Gardena as a child...and had close family living there for many years after.  And family in Lakewood as well.  I worked in Compton for awhile--for a company on Artesia Blvd.  My wife, after we had our kids, went back to school at Cal State Long Beach and earned a Master's degree from there.  My college major at UCLA was in Cultural and Historical Geography and I spent quite a bit of that time studying the Geography of Los Angeles.  After College, I went to Law School then worked for 35 years as a transactional real estate attorney with a few large employers in the Southern California area...and transacted many real estate deals--largely commercial/industrial real estate--in the area.  My last employer had several major facilities in the immediate area--including a major facility in Harbor City, another in Bellflower, and one in Downey...plus smaller facilities in South Los Angeles, Long Beach and other area towns...the business we were in required a fairly good coverage of the entire area.  For many of these I bought and sold the properties, fought for entitlements with city governments in all of these jurisdictions, leased other properties...attended meetings and became involved in local affairs.  The company also had a large budget for charitable contributions and I worked on a good many of these deals--including turning over antiquated facilities to local charitable uses.  So, yes, I know how well YOU think YOU know this area...but I am guessing I may have a bit more experience and a bit more diversified experience than you.

That said, back to the question at hand.  The question was NOT regarding areas "immediately adjacent to the port".  The only cities IMMEDIATELY adjacent to the port, of course, are Long Beach, San Pedro and Wilmington... But, of course, those cities--or, at least Long Beach and San Pedro--are oft discussed here...The OP's question was:  "Looking for a hotel within 20-30 minutes from the Long Beach terminal. We’ll have a rental so don’t need to be super close. Is there a neighboring city that’s safe? I know nothing about the area but keep reading about unsafe areas of Long Beach so wondering how the surrounding areas are."

The way I read that, the OP was NOT looking at Long Beach...They likely understood that there is a good area of Long Beach...and other areas of Long Beach may be unsafe...and was asking about "neighboring cities" within a "20-30 minute drive" that might be safe.  Hence, I was going OUTSIDE of Long Beach to its neighboring cities--and those I mentioned qualify as "neighboring" to the north...and are easily within a 20-30 minute drive.  And the point was that I would not go there.  I am guessing, Husky, that you would not either.  No, there aren't too many hotels in those towns...but, yes, there are some...and I would not send a tourist there. Interestingly enough, a cruise critic member on one of my Roll Calls just asked me about a hotel she had found in Carson...So, yes, cruisers unfamiliar with the LA area ARE doing internet searches for cheap hotels...and DO find those geographically undesirable places--largely because they are looking for a bargain...and those hotels DO show up as within 20-30 minutes of the port.  So, it certainly does not hurt to make the point here.

Okay, I am most impressed with your experience and knowledge. You are an expert, and I am not challenging you on anything. You sound very sensitive to me,  so,  I see no benefit to continue to discuss anything with you. Have a very nice day.😄

I am looking to take pacificcoast hwy down from San Francisco next year. Staying 3-4 nights along the way before our cruise out of Long Beach. I was looking to stay our last night in Santa Monica beach and turn our car in. Then taking a shuttle to port in the morning. So I was hoping to see a response to your post on maybe staying at Santa Monica being 30 minutes from port. Is this town to far from Long Beach port?  I am hoping to be within 40 min

6 hours ago, renza said:

I am looking to take pacificcoast hwy down from San Francisco next year. Staying 3-4 nights along the way before our cruise out of Long Beach. I was looking to stay our last night in Santa Monica beach and turn our car in. Then taking a shuttle to port in the morning. So I was hoping to see a response to your post on maybe staying at Santa Monica being 30 minutes from port. Is this town to far from Long Beach port?  I am hoping to be within 40 min

It's about 32 miles from Santa Monica to the Carnival Terminal in Long Beach...so it will likely take a little over your 40 minutes--depending on day of the week and time of day...OTOH, it is a great location to stay in to experience the Southern California lifestyle.  There are other places you might stay to be a little closer...but they're not going to have the same attractions you'll find in Santa Monica.   You could go slightly closer and stay in Marina Del Rey...there are several good hotels in the area of the MArina adjacent to Venice--which give you good restaurants close by and access to the Venice Beach Boardwalk--a So Cal classic visit.   The South Bay area (Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach) is closer--south of LAX...the towns are nice, but a little laid back and dull in a way...

29 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

It's about 32 miles from Santa Monica to the Carnival Terminal in Long Beach...so it will likely take a little over your 40 minutes--depending on day of the week and time of day...OTOH, it is a great location to stay in to experience the Southern California lifestyle.  There are other places you might stay to be a little closer...but they're not going to have the same attractions you'll find in Santa Monica.   You could go slightly closer and stay in Marina Del Rey...there are several good hotels in the area of the MArina adjacent to Venice--which give you good restaurants close by and access to the Venice Beach Boardwalk--a So Cal classic visit.   The South Bay area (Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach) is closer--south of LAX...the towns are nice, but a little laid back and dull in a way...

I think we will be okay with a shuttle on a Saturday morning. Thank you. I think 45 min or so will be okay