Take 6 Free Airfare, Questions

stevendom57

It seems like the Take 6 Free airfare promotion will fly me into Miami the morning of the cruise. I think I can handle that. 

But what are the specifics of the airfare package

1) Nonstop flight?

2) Transfers form airport to cruise port?

3) Basic economy seats? Can they be upgraded to premium economy? When can I do that?

4) What type of baggage allowances?

5) Will it be on a major airline (AA, Delta, United) or a cheapo (Spirit air, JetBlue)?

6) Do I get ANY choice in airlines / seats etc.

Thanks

Steven

Steve -

My husband and I are flying from Charlotte, NC to Miami for a Caribbean cruise on Bliss this Saturday.  We have the "free air" promotion and are flying non-stop on AA.  We have decided to rideshare (Uber/Lyft) from the airport to the port as it is half of what Norwegian would have charged us for transfers (and had our TA deduct the $35/pp transfer fee from our add-ons).  The seats are economy and are not assigned until check-in.  I assume we are abiding by AA's baggage fees which are $30 for the first checked bag.

Our flight itinerary was posted to our NCL page about a month before our departure.

Edited by bgeil

7:30am!  Yikes. We arrive MIA at 9:30.

We live in Greenville, SC and have a 90-minute drive to the Charlotte Airport, so we are driving up to Charlotte on Friday and staying at an airport hotel.

A side note - When we booked the cruise, flying out of Greenville was a $99/pp supplement to the "free" air package, so we chose Charlotte.   AA started direct flights out of Greenville to Miami in November which were the same price or less than the flights from Charlotte.  I tried to get the supplement fee dropped and booked out of Greenville, but NCL wouldn't budge.

I just went to AA's site and was able to pull up our reservation there.  We've been assigned seats - first flight across the aisle from each other and the return flight we're both on the aisle, but 6 rows apart!  :classic_rolleyes:

I received my free flights today (well $99pp). Pit to Mco, layovers both ways through Delta. Lots of non stops from Pit but I fly through Atlanta. Oh well, if I knew this I would have booked Southwest and paid the extra money. With Delta I have to pay for checked bags so savings with “free” flights is not that much. If I paid my own flights it would be approx $250 pp.

Aa.com. Is your friend.   On the home page there are three tabs.  Select the one that says “your trips/check in”.  Fill in the boxes for your name (only one name per couple is needed).  Record locator is a six letter code, something like AKLGXW (I made it up, no idea if it is valid).  Look for yours.  If you can’t find it, call AA and ask them what it is - have your last name and flight #.  

Once you pull up your reservation, there will be a link you can click on, and your seat #’s will show up as hyperlinks.  Click on them and you will be able to change them.  Do NOT pay for the extra cost seats!  Waste of $$.

13 hours ago, stevendom57 said:

It seems like the Take 6 Free airfare promotion will fly me into Miami the morning of the cruise. I think I can handle that. 

But what are the specifics of the airfare package

1) Nonstop flight?

2) Transfers form airport to cruise port?

3) Basic economy seats? Can they be upgraded to premium economy? When can I do that?

4) What type of baggage allowances?

5) Will it be on a major airline (AA, Delta, United) or a cheapo (Spirit air, JetBlue)?

6) Do I get ANY choice in airlines / seats etc.

Thanks

Steven

Our cruse is Feb 24! Free/ reduce airfare promotion from NCL. We have a flight from CLE Feb 24 at 6:19am to Reagan to Miami at 1:00pm.  Ship leaves at 4:00 pm Hope there is no delays! I’ll let you know.

1) Nonstop flight? NO

2) Transfers form airport to cruise port? -YES

3) Basic economy seats? YES

Can they be upgraded to premium economy? ? NO

4) What type of baggage allowances? NONE!

5) Will it be on a major airline (AA, Delta, United)-YES!  

6) Do I get ANY choice in airlines NO!

/ seats etc. YES through the airline when NCL has booked you go to the book airline and pick your seat. I hope this helps Steven

3 hours ago, erdoran said:

Aa.com. Is your friend.   On the home page there are three tabs.  Select the one that says “your trips/check in”.  Fill in the boxes for your name (only one name per couple is needed).  Record locator is a six letter code, something like AKLGXW (I made it up, no idea if it is valid).  Look for yours.  If you can’t find it, call AA and ask them what it is - have your last name and flight #.  

Once you pull up your reservation, there will be a link you can click on, and your seat #’s will show up as hyperlinks.  Click on them and you will be able to change them.  Do NOT pay for the extra cost seats!  Waste of $$.

Yeah, I'm big on "always fly in the day before" but from Dallas to New Orleans on a weekday I'm cautiously optimistic.  God knows this one had better be nonstop. 

On this note, any possibility you can upgrade with miles?
(hey, I gotta ask)

The "free" airfare deal thru NCL is really not worth it. You can't pick when you leave, who you fly on, when you get there, the routing etc.

I know a couple that did it from Chicago and NCL put them on Frontier from Chicago to Denver at like 6pm, then a 5 hour layover in Denver and the red-eye into Florida for their course. So that was free but they had to pay for their checked bags, seat assignments etc...plus that entire first day of their cruise was shot because they were exhausted since they hadn't slept. They could have paid $250 each for a flight and not have any charges of be exhausted from flying across the country.

Transfer is not free. They add it in without asking if you want it or itemizing it.  Do a mock booking and take the free airfare, then when you see the total, click on “details” on bottom right.  It will be there.  IMHO that’s deceptive.  When you accept the “not free” free airfare, NCL should show you at that time what the airfare is, which they do if you are paying attention, AND the transfer cost, which they don’t.

1 hour ago, allyfrizzle said:

The option to choose my seats is not available under the reservation page on American Airlines. I'm gonna try to call them to see if I can reserve specific seats.

Good luck! Did u try the record locator?

9 minutes ago, tokidoki said:

Good luck! Did u try the record locator?

Record locator brings my itinerary up, but the option to choose seats isn't available. I called customer service and they said because the itinerary is available, it doesn't necessarily mean that the ticket has been generated yet. They told me to keep an eye on it and once it's generated, I should be able to choose a seat.