Sanctuary Star Princess to Alaska

southerngoose

I really like the idea of the sanctuary and I'm willing to pay.  🙂   However, on a cruise to alaska in late April/early May, I'm concerned that it may be too cold/windy.  If I wait until the sea day and realize that the weather is good AND there is room, is it possible to go to the Sanctuary and pay for the day?   I think as the ship goes further north, it will become less pleasant outdoors and I don't want to go in my coat, hat and gloves!    I'm guessing that other people may not book in advance for the same reason and I might have a chance at getting in.  🙂

Of course you can do exactly as you suggest, wait for the sea day you want to come around and then book for the day, space permitting.  Realize however that some cruises the entire sanctuary books up in advance - especially on sea days.  Also, your choice of chairs may be quite limited.  Still, in my experience, on these northern itineraries there generally is something available if you're not too particular.  

On the other hand, they have seemingly limitless blankets available for we members of the polar bear club.  There's basically no weather too cold to keep me out of the sanctuary, its only water falling from the sky that will keep us away.  More than once we've been the only couple up there, with 7 blankets each piled 6 inches high. 

We were on an Alaska cruise last year and booked the Sanctuary for the Glacier Bay day when we boarded the ship.

I asked the attendant if I needed to call to cancel if we decided it was too cold and didn't want to go on that day. He told me it wasn't necessary to call..."just don't show up". That's what we did and we weren't charged.

FWIW: it was so cold I couldn't get DH to even walk out onto the Promenade to take pictures. He watch from a seat near Explorers Bar, while I dashed in & out, back & forth taking pictures.

• Like 1

In opposition to the prevailing wisdom on this board, I paid for Glacier Bay day for me, DH, and in-laws in September.  I bought the single day as soon as we boarded, and by the time the day arrived all of the loungers in the front row had been purchased. 

I loved having our own dedicated spot with super-comfy reclining loungers (great for the elderly in-laws, and i loved them too -- much better than standing and running around trying to secure a good view) that we could leave and come back to as we desired.  I don't feel like we missed any of the spectacular-ness, and although it was quite cold (esp in the morning) we were much better off than the folks out on the decks around us who were blown to bits.  We had an ample supply of blankets provided, and stayed for hours on end.  Plus Princess offered a very decent spread of breakfast and lunch (w/killer chili) included with the price of admission.  I asked one waitstaff to procure me specialty coffees with my card (and tipped her for the extra service). 

It was a fantastic experience, and i would do it again in a heartbeat.

IMG_0115.jpeg

Edited by Ellipooh

For me personally, I would not use time in the Sanctuary on scenic cruising days. I just don't want to stay in one spot nor be behind glass (not sure if the Star setup is like the Grand, which is the last ship I took to Alaska). I was rewarded by moving around on my last cruise, got great angles of glaciers and waterfalls, and saw a variety of wildlife. But for some people like Ellipooh who posted above, they did the sanctuary and thoroughly enjoyed it. And that's great! It all comes down to personal preferences. It can be quite cold and windy in places like Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm; not as much when in other areas of the inside passage or near the port towns (at least the southeastern ones). I was not "blown to bits" this past July in Tracy Arm. It was actually nice and sunny...almost too sunny! You never know about Alaska, so just be prepared for the possibility of cold and wind...

• Like 1

This was me in the Sanctuary in Glacier Bay the first week in May. I was one of the last to tough it out... at 12:30pm. A week or so later, apparently it was  much nicer. FYI, I was wearing LOTS of layers, including two hats, two jackets, corduroy pants, etc. I love the Sanctuary but wouldn’t do it again in Glacier Bay this early in the season. 

0E613241-F09C-45E0-BF60-1BCB0909C2D2.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Pam in CA said:

This was me in the Sanctuary in Glacier Bay the first week in May. I was one of the last to tough it out... at 12:30pm. A week or so later, apparently it was  much nicer. FYI, I was wearing LOTS of layers, including two hats, two jackets, corduroy pants, etc. I love the Sanctuary but wouldn’t do it again in Glacier Bay this early in the season. 

Do you think that it would have been colder without the windows?    I'm wondering if you had it good?   Maybe skywalkers was a better strategy...