Internet Rant/Vent...

MsSoCalCruiser

54 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

The line would not clarify what was responsible for the "bandwidth limitations," though some Cruise Critic members posited that some people may be abusing the perk by offering their unlimited-access codes to non-suite passengers.

There are some on this board that blame every suite benefit that has been restricted/removed is based on mis-use. I don't necessarily think this is the reason for it. There maybe some mis-use but I don't think it is based on wide spread abuse.

Princess is very behind other cruise lines in their internet offerings.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jagoffee said:

This is a comment back around 2012 when Princess eliminated the unlimited for suites.  I would just think it was because too many people in line at the same time.

We apologize for any disappointment caused by the removal of the unlimited Internet access for our suite passengers effective the end of June," Candy told Cruise Critic. "While we don't wish to take away existing benefits, the limitations on shipboard bandwidth prompted our decision." 

The line would not clarify what was responsible for the "bandwidth limitations," though some Cruise Critic members posited that some people may be abusing the perk by offering their unlimited-access codes to non-suite passengers.

When the perk was first offered, the only passenger devices that connected to the Internet were the computers in the full suites and the ones in the Internet Cafe.

By 2012 passenger devices such as laptops and netbooks existed and could also connect to the Internet.

Of course, today there may an average of one device per passenger that can connect to the Internet There is no way that the previously available bandwidth could allow the number of passengers that could connect at the same time to have unlimited Internet whether "free" or paid.

With the MedallionNet advanced Internet hardware capabilities, unlimited Internet for a large number of passengers is practical again from a bandwidth viewpoint.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

When the perk was first offered, the only passenger devices that connected to the Internet were the computers in the full suites and the ones in the Internet Cafe.

There were also many laptops that could be checked out from the Passenger Service desk. I remember using them in the atrium. They were not checked out for a long time.

Though - there were not people who sat at the internet cafe for hours who abused it. People popped in and checked their email and the left.

Edited by Coral

Yes, it is good that a lot of cruise lines are improving their internet systems as it is important to a growing number of cruisers.

Personally the reason that  my DW and I prefer the unlimited packages is not because of the minutes.  It is because we feel pressure worrying about whether we have properly logged out with packages that count the minutes.

This is overall a good thing for Princess like it was for Celebrity.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 11:29 PM, caribill said:

No question that $59 is a good deal. It is available to everyone even if not Platinum or Elite. Basically it takes what many thought was the best Platinum/Elite benefit and makes it worthless.

What if everyone sent a comment like yours to Princess?  Do you think it would help?  Or hurt?