Does NCL app work while in Miami terminal?

eldrima

So sailing out of Miami on the Bliss this Saturday. We didn't pre book dinner reservations early on and nothing much to choose from. 

I have the new NCL app downloaded and plan to pay to use it to text/call other passengers on board.  In the past, I remember people saying they could connect to the ship's WIFi from the Miami cruise terminal while waiting to board and use the app to make "onboard" dinner reservations.   Anyone have recent experience with this...bonus if it was on a Bliss cruise. The kids really want to do the go carts so that is another consideration. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, eldrima said:

So sailing out of Miami on the Bliss this Saturday. We didn't pre book dinner reservations early on and nothing much to choose from. 

I have the new NCL app downloaded and plan to pay to use it to text/call other passengers on board.  In the past, I remember people saying they could connect to the ship's WIFi from the Miami cruise terminal while waiting to board and use the app to make "onboard" dinner reservations.   Anyone have recent experience with this...bonus if it was on a Bliss cruise. The kids really want to do the go carts so that is another consideration. Thanks!

It only works when connected to the particular ships WiFi.  Sorry

Thanks for the reply. I understand I will need to be connected to the Bliss WIFI in order to have the extra functionality of the app. I had previously read reports of passengers connecting to their Ship's wIFI while waiting in the terminal.  Just wondering if anyone has done that on the Bliss and also wondering if the reservation functionality works prior to the 11 am early boarding time. 

1 hour ago, eldrima said:

Thanks for the reply. I understand I will need to be connected to the Bliss WIFI in order to have the extra functionality of the app. I had previously read reports of passengers connecting to their Ship's wIFI while waiting in the terminal.  Just wondering if anyone has done that on the Bliss and also wondering if the reservation functionality works prior to the 11 am early boarding time. 

Don’t know about Miami but in Seattle we couldn’t get a signal in the terminal.  Hope you can in Miami though.  

Yes, we have used the iConcierge app from the terminal in Miami every time. You need to be seated somewhat close to the ship. Once connected to the ship, you can go ahead and set up your account. (If you are asking about the newer NCL app, I have no clue, as I haven't yet used it.)

7 minutes ago, yankees111 said:

Is their a cost to use the App? I do not plan on purchasing a WiFi package.

The basic functions of the app are free to use to make reservations, view upcoming events, etc. There is a cost per device to use the app's chat features to communicate with other passengers on board.

8 hours ago, eldrima said:

It does not work in the terminal, unless you are right next to the windows and get really really lucky.

Couple of silly questions.  Its now just the blue NCL app not Iconceriege right?  Also, is the wifi named something easy to spot (ie BLISS).  Do they ask for any login info to join the network?  I'm assuming once you are connected (if you are lucky) the app will offer more time slots for dinner spots that you could previously not see while browsing using your cell phone carriers data in the waiting area?  Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, bochest124 said:

Couple of silly questions.  Its now just the blue NCL app not Iconceriege right?  Also, is the wifi named something easy to spot (ie BLISS).  Do they ask for any login info to join the network?  I'm assuming once you are connected (if you are lucky) the app will offer more time slots for dinner spots that you could previously not see while browsing using your cell phone carriers data in the waiting area?  Thanks in advance.

The app is now called "Cruise Norwegian". To connect, once you are in the terminal, you need to put your phone in airplane mode, THEN turn on wifi, go into your wifi networks and choose the one that has "Bliss" in the name, I think it's called something like "ncl_internet_Bliss". You don't have to enter a username or password for the wifi connection. Once you are connected, open the app and log into your My NCL account in there.

Good info on connecting.   The app is free to download. When connected at home over regular internet, it essentially acts like your MyNCL account. When connected through the ship's wifi, it has additional functionality like viewing schedule of events, checking on board account, making dinner reservations.  You do not have to have an internet plan to use these features.  Like iconcierge app, you can choose to pay a flat fee ($10 or less per device per sailing) to be able to use additional features while on board...essentially turns your smart phone into a mobile ship phone for texting/calling other passengers who have subscribed to the service and also allows you to call cabins. The additional functionality does not require you to purchase an internet package either.  In the past, we have found this to be a very worthwhile expense as it allows us to split up and more easily coordinate a meet up...not always flawless but certainly beats wandering around a big ship looking for your party.