Bad news for Scotch drinkers

thirstyman1

13 hours ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

I might have a tremendous issue with going on this cruise....I am a wine and spirits distributor, and tend to be sort of snobbish when it comes to my drinks...We cruised on Royal last year, and on the drink package, we were able to drink Whistle Pig Bourbon, Four Roses Single Barrel, Buffalo Trace, Bulleit Bourbon and there was some Blanton's on board.  Wife and I drank at least a case of the Four Roses SB, which is one of my favorites!  From what i see here, they only have Bulleit Rye, not the Bourbon????  I can deal with the wines by the glass, since I only drink wine at dinner while cruising.  Not saying that I am regretting my decision to cruise NCL, but I would think they would be able to serve better quality liquors for the price of admission...  

I am with you.  I am also a bit of a bourbon snob but even if I wasn't, they do not have anything left on here as far as bourbon goes.  Woodford $22.95 is just stupid.  Seeing the list you have from RCL that includes Blanton's, I may need to reconsider our next booking.

1 hour ago, wetcoast said:

In case anyone wants to compare NCL to MSC,  ive attached the current MSC premium selection list. Quite reasonable if you dont have a drink package

msc premium.jpg

Yes, these are normal prices. Woodford Reserve is 60% cheaper on MSC compared to NCL. JW Black about 45% cheaper etc...

NCL operates every aspect of their operation to squeeze more and more out of each customer and give less and less.

This is the reason NCL has the most restrictive beverage package at sea, this is the reason NCL has the most expensive package at sea, and this is the reason they charge the highest percent of service charges on their dining/beverage package. It's simple math. The charge you a bigger percent off of a much bigger number and include less than anyone else...oh plus you're paying $300-400 more per person for a fare that qualifies for the "Free" perks.

Celebrity is now adding perks to it's fare and they don't charge service charges to them plus MSC is slowly establishing itself in the market and they include drinks plus cheap upgrade options.

The only way to change things is if people in masses stop sailing on NCL. Until there's enough people to buy into the NCL pit of fees there's no reason for them to change anything.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 12:04 PM, thirstyman1 said:

As a former bartender we always tip.

Even though gratuities are included, I have always tipped extra for service at the bars and dining room.  The bartenders remember me and I tend to get served first over those who were already waiting to place an order.  There was one bar where I would order the same drink and when the bartender saw me coming, he immediately started making it.  Was ready for me by the time I got to the counter - that's service!

• Like 1

Just took a look, and RCCL’s drink package is $385 + tip, per person on a 7 day cruise.  MSC is $434 + tip per person on a 7 day cruise.  But, if you want ALL the liquors and wines, it’s $553 + tip per person.

CCL is even higher, with no drink perk that I’m aware of.

NCL’s charges $693 + tip per person for a 7 day cruise for any drinks up to $15/ea.  Anything over $15 is just charged the difference.  But, if you take the drink package perk. It’s $75 per person, as that amount represents the service/tip charges.  Most take this perk when booking, unless they are a non or slight drinker.  It includes what most drink in the way of wines, beers and liquors.

They just announced a more “inclusive” package that I haven’t had enough time to study.

At the end of the day, cruise lines charge what most resorts charge for drinks.  I know staying in NYC, Miami, LA, ATL, Chicago, etc....those cruise drink prices are more or less the same as those on land.

Pick and choose what makes most sense for you.  

I’m a bourbon drinker.  JB or Wild Turkey works fine in lieu of my usual bourbon (Jefferson Reserve, Russell Reserve, Basil Hayden).

I personally believe this is where NCL is headed...all inclusive cruising with just tips being paid on top of the cruise fare.  Or, you can go “bare bones” with a GTY or SAIL AWAY rate, where you get no perks.  MSC is already doing something similar.

14 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

This is the reason NCL has the most restrictive beverage package at sea, this is the reason NCL has the most expensive package at sea, and this is the reason they charge the highest percent of service charges on their dining/beverage package. It's simple math.

MSC is promoting their "All In - UNLIMITED Drinks and FREE Wi-fi" on 4 ships sailing the Caribbean.  However the package is limited to 2 types of beer and only house wines and spirits.  If you upgrade to the premium package which includes drinks up to $12, it costs $26 per day plus a 15% service based on the value of each drink ordered.  Drinks over $12 are paid for in full, not just the difference.  Seems MSC "free" package is more restrictive and ultimately more expensive than NCL. 

Edited by senseib

7 minutes ago, senseib said:

MSC is promoting their "All In - UNLIMITED Drinks and FREE Wi-fi" on 4 ships sailing the Caribbean.  However the package is limited to 2 types of beer and only house wines and spirits.  If you upgrade to the premium package which includes drinks up to $12, it costs $26 per day plus a 15% service based on the value of each drink ordered.  Drinks over $12 are paid for in full, not just the difference.  Seems MSC "free" package is more restrictive and ultimately more expensive than NCL. 

That's if you want to upgrade to the premium package. The classic package is only $18 per day. The drinks on MSC cost about 1/2 what they do on NCL so when they say things up to $12 are included it's basically as if NCL said drinks up to $22 are included. So $26 per person plus $15% service charge is roughly $210 per week for the premium package or $145 per week for the classic. Now consider the fact that a balcony cabin with the drinks on us runs you about $600-800 per person whereas you're lucky to find anything under $1,100 per person with MSC and you come out WAY ahead with MSC. The service charges alone on NCL are $125 per person per week.

32 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

That's if you want to upgrade to the premium package. The classic package is only $18 per day. The drinks on MSC cost about 1/2 what they do on NCL so when they say things up to $12 are included it's basically as if NCL said drinks up to $22 are included. So $26 per person plus $15% service charge is roughly $210 per week for the premium package or $145 per week for the classic. Now consider the fact that a balcony cabin with the drinks on us runs you about $600-800 per person whereas you're lucky to find anything under $1,100 per person with MSC and you come out WAY ahead with MSC. The service charges alone on NCL are $125 per person per week.

The classic package is an $18 upgrade to a drinks included room and $35 as a package.   It limits you to cocktails under $8 and wine under $7.50.  The premium package is $26 upgrade to a drinks included room and $62 as a package.  It limits you to cocktails and wine und $12.  With the upgrades you pay a 15% on the price of each drink ordered.  So if you have 5 $8 drinks on the $18 upgrade you pay an additional $6 per day.  On the $26 upgrade the daily service charge would be about $8 daily service charge for a total upgrade cost of $34 per day.  On NCL you pay $19.80 for a package comparable to the MSC premium package.  That's about $15 a day cheaper.  I have search MSC but have not found drinks included balcony room for less than $1,000 on a 7 day Caribbean cruise. 

Edited by senseib

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 8:50 AM, don't-use-real-name said:

JW Blue was never on any tier of any NCL ship I have been on - found in the Duty Free Shop though

Further research interesting LINK:

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/brands/scotchwhisky

JW Blue had $3.95 upcharge on the BREAKAWAY when we sailed on her in 2016.  We sailed on the  Dawn in 2017 and it was not available.

29 minutes ago, senseib said:

The classic package is an $18 upgrade to a drinks included room and $35 as a package.   It limits you to cocktails under $8 and wine under $7.50.  The premium package is $26 upgrade to a drinks included room and $62 as a package.  It limits you to cocktails and wine und $12.  With the upgrades you pay a 15% on the price of each drink ordered.  So if you have 5 $8 drinks on the $18 upgrade you pay an additional $6 per day.  On the $26 upgrade the daily service charge would be about $8 daily service charge for a total upgrade cost of $34 per day.  On NCL you pay $19.80 for a package comparable to the MSC premium package.  That's about $15 a day cheaper.  I have search MSC but have not found drinks included balcony room for less than $1,000 on a 7 day Caribbean cruise. 

That is incorrect. You only pay 15% on each drink with the drinks on us package, if you get the classic or premium package you don't pay 15% on each drink.

As a matter of fact, if you upgrade to the classic or premium package you don't pay service charges at all. It's a flat $18 or $26 per day. So $126 per week for the classic package or $182 for the premium package. The service charge is included in that price. MSC isn't like NCL you know...they aren't trying to squeeze every last dime out of you.

Untitled.png

I get it that folks like good liquor on board the ship.  To tell the truth I like it too.  But...  I would have absolutely no problem being on a dry cruise.  The drink package is a perk and I like it, but it is in no way a necessity for me.  Back before the drink packages were around, I never drank any alcohol on board, it was too expensive.

1 hour ago, DaCruiseBug said:

As a matter of fact, if you upgrade to the classic or premium package you don't pay service charges at all. It's a flat $18 or $26 per day.

MSC $26.00 per day vs NCL $19.80 per day for a comparable package?  Who's charging more?

8 minutes ago, senseib said:

MSC $26.00 per day vs NCL $19.80 per day for a comparable package?  Who's charging more?

Are you being serious right now or just arguing for the sake of arguing? The MSC Premium drink package includes much more than the NCL UBP. Comparable packages would be the MSC Classic package ($18 per day) to the NCL UBP. It doesn’t matter at all what the dollar limit set by each cruise line is, what matters is what drinks are included. If NCL raises their max drink price to $50 but then charges $60 for Wooford Reserve then it’s still a crappy package.

Also, what you either fail to understand or choose to ignore (NCL loves your kind of customer) is that NCL cruise fares to be eligible for the perks is usually $300-400 per person more expensive than their base fares. The 

MSC barebones fare still includes the drinks on us. An MSC Seaside vase balcony will run you $1,200-1,40 versus the over $2,000 for any NCL balcony with perks.

I know you won’t understand, but that’s ok because everyone reading these posts can see what the deal is.

3 hours ago, senseib said:

If you book ahead you don't have to pay the 15% service fee. Even with the $12 limit  MSC's Premium package is far better than NCL,  includes still/sparkling water, canned sodas, energy drinks, and premium coffee drinks. MSC's $12 limit is not a factor as most mixed drinks are $8-$10.   I can book solo on MSC for $100 a day plus $27 for the Premium package, NCL is well over $200 a day with the UBP.

13 hours ago, senseib said:

Don't argue with the person who hates NCL yet is on the NCL threads 24 hours a day!

I already posted NCL DRINK  package cost us $85 for 2 people for the week.

Already posted that you can't get a MSC cruise in a balcony for $600.

I have looked at MSC and can't seem to get past the food and service is really really bad. Do a search other then here!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

Don't argue with the person who hates NCL yet is on the NCL threads 24 hours a day!

I already posted NCL DRINK  package cost us $85 for 2 people for the week.

Already posted that you can't get a MSC cruise in a balcony for $600.

I have looked at MSC and can't seem to get past the food and service is really really bad. Do a search other then here!

The great thing about the internet is that it makes it REALLY easy to make someone look like they don't know what they're talking about.

NCL service charges on the UBP are 20% of $99 per person per day. Now, if math isn't your forte you can always use the calculator on your phone or your computer and it will tell you it's $138.60 per person for the week. That's $277.20 for 2 people. So there goes your "drink package cost us $85 for 2 people for the week" claim.

Now let's talk about MSC pricing and how "you can't get a MSC cruise in a balcony for $600". Well that's funny because...

Untitled.png

MSC Seaside Eastern Caribbean sailing on 11/30/19:

Balcony with drinks on us package and upgrade to premium drink package = $1,454 + $364 = $1,818

NCL Breakaway Eastern Caribbean sailing on 11/30/19:

Balcony with UBP: $3,053

So there's a $1,235 difference between the 2. For that amount you can eat at a specialty restaurant every single night, buy a wi-fi package, a spa package, get a massage, pay for all your excursions...and STILL pay less than on NCL. Oh, and it's a 2 year old ship compared to an almost 7 year old ship.

So I see $1454 for the cheapest week of the year? How is that $600?

My $85 was cost difference after 6 free meals, free wifi, free 3rd person, $50 per port!

About reviews? Go read them before you take about what smells!

Not talking about the Yacht Club!

Everyone talks but never has proof?

MSC HAPPY PEOPLE

Edited by Lionkingrichard

25 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

My $85 was cost difference after 6 free meals, free wifi, free 3rd person, $50 per port!

MSC HAPPY PEOPLE

42 FOOD REVIEW?

29 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

MSC HAPPY PEOPLE

The $600 is per person...duh! As I showed you their rates start at $579 per week in a balcony. It's not just 1 week either...it's multiple sailings. I've personally sailed on the Seaside and we ate at the buffet several times and the food was no worse than NCL although their pizza was the best pizza you'll find on any cruise line.

So I've been on the Seaside...clearly you haven't and are just speculating. I can find just as many negative reviews about NCL as I can about MSC.

Your $50 per port credit is basically worthless as you can usually get the same excursions on your own for cheaper. Also, you PAY extra service charges to eat at a specialty restaurant. You can't just subtract the value of $50 port credit from it all and say you only paid $85 for it. That's just nonsense! Clearly you're the type of customer that NCL loves because you have 0 sense of value and understanding when it comes to basic pricing principles. I bet you tell all your friends your perks are "free" don't you?

10 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

The $600 is per person...duh! As I showed you their rates start at $579 per week in a balcony. It's not just 1 week either...it's multiple sailings. I've personally sailed on the Seaside and we ate at the buffet several times and the food was no worse than NCL although their pizza was the best pizza you'll find on any cruise line.

So I've been on the Seaside...clearly you haven't and are just speculating. I can find just as many negative reviews about NCL as I can about MSC.

Your $50 per port credit is basically worthless as you can usually get the same excursions on your own for cheaper. Also, you PAY extra service charges to eat at a specialty restaurant. You can't just subtract the value of $50 port credit from it all and say you only paid $85 for it. That's just nonsense! Clearly you're the type of customer that NCL loves because you have 0 sense of value and understanding when it comes to basic pricing principles. I bet you tell all your friends your perks are "free" don't you?

Some people just can't add?

Some people think they are always right?

Do you know why DCL is one of the more expensive cruises? PEOPLE WILL PAY IT!

Do you know why MSC is the cheapest? PEOPLE WON'T PAY!

1 hour ago, Lionkingrichard said:

Some people just can't add?

Some people think they are always right?

Do you know why DCL is one of the more expensive cruises? PEOPLE WILL PAY IT!

Do you know why MSC is the cheapest? PEOPLE WON'T PAY!

Disney is one of the most expensive because they offer things that others cannot. Things related to the "Disney"" brand.

Why is MSC the cheapest? They're only the cheapest in the Caribbean because they're new to the game and are trying to establish themselves in the market. Anyone with a business background will give you that same answer. Oh, and MSC is a privately held company so no stock buybacks, dividends, and no being forced to drive up margins because of pressure from shareholders.

Got anything else?