Interpreting this excursion description?

Jasukkie

• "Guests must be able to walk approximately 1,281 yards (2.5 hours) over inclines and declines."

Is this the elevation gain or the distance? It's a laughably slow pace if it's distance, and well above my level if it's elevation gain lol. The hike is described as "moderate" and "family friendly". Could it really be only a 1, 281 yard hike? 

What is the excursion?

I am thinking that the excursion is 2.5 hours long.  During which you will be required to walk 1,281 yards some where during the excursion.  The walking portion will have some inclines and declines.

• Like 2

Sorry, it's listed as the "Sete Cidades Hike" in the Azores. 

Strap up your boots and grab your sense of adventure, we’re heading out on a spectacular journey on foot through the Azores’ stunning natural landscapes. After a 30-minute drive across São Miguel island, we’ll arrive at Vista do Rei, a breathtaking viewpoint considered one of the seven wonders of Portugal, famous for its magnificent views of the Sete Cidades caldera. Also called the King’s View, from here we’ll not only be awed by panoramic views of two dazzling alpine lakes, but also begin our two-hour moderate-level hike at the nearby trailhead. Set out alongside an expert guide across steep pathways, passing the 3-mile-wide crater and verdant forest environs dappling the island’s western coast. Along the way, hear the fascinating geothermal and geographical history of the region while identifying native flora and fauna. The trek concludes at the quaint village of Sete Cidades on the western edge of Blue Lake, where we’ll enjoy a 15-minute cool down before being transported back to port. PG45

Could this really be just 1, 281 yards? 

12 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

Sorry, it's listed as the "Sete Cidades Hike" in the Azores. 

Strap up your boots and grab your sense of adventure, we’re heading out on a spectacular journey on foot through the Azores’ stunning natural landscapes. After a 30-minute drive across São Miguel island, we’ll arrive at Vista do Rei, a breathtaking viewpoint considered one of the seven wonders of Portugal, famous for its magnificent views of the Sete Cidades caldera. Also called the King’s View, from here we’ll not only be awed by panoramic views of two dazzling alpine lakes, but also begin our two-hour moderate-level hike at the nearby trailhead. Set out alongside an expert guide across steep pathways, passing the 3-mile-wide crater and verdant forest environs dappling the island’s western coast. Along the way, hear the fascinating geothermal and geographical history of the region while identifying native flora and fauna. The trek concludes at the quaint village of Sete Cidades on the western edge of Blue Lake, where we’ll enjoy a 15-minute cool down before being transported back to port. PG45

Could this really be just 1, 281 yards? 

Just did some quick research.  I found a possibity.  They may run the buses to an observation point which has a nice view.  Real close to that is a 800 yard trail that will take you to another observation point, so total distance would be 1600 yards which be in the ball park of the "hike" that is mentioned in your first post.

Mind you I haven't been to the Azores so have no real world experience on possibilities on what the tour may  encompass.

Hope someone will post that may have first hand knowledge.

If not, hope this helps in your thinking process.

Edited by gatour
Add info

46 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

• "Guests must be able to walk approximately 1,281 yards (2.5 hours) over inclines and declines."

Is this the elevation gain or the distance? It's a laughably slow pace if it's distance, and well above my level if it's elevation gain lol. The hike is described as "moderate" and "family friendly". Could it really be only a 1, 281 yard hike? 

Checkout youtube, there are Princess and Disney ship excursion videos. 

A little googling and I found two sources that describe a trail from the mirador to the lake near the village as 2 hours and 7.7 km.  Look for Vista do Rei to Sete Cidades. 

As an aside,  I've been to the mirador twice now and both times the lake view was shrouded in fog. Hope you get a nice day!

Your description does say "steep pathways".  Will have a bunch of up and down and if it takes an hour and a half (plus transportation) walking distance is 3/4 mile sounds about right.  Probably don't want to do this if you have issues walking.

Thanks all. I had googled some and looked at the various Viatour walks there and couldn't quite figure this one out. I've also read the weather is really dicey there so this could get cancelled or be a walk in the mist. I just figured after a week of sea days we would welcome a hike.

King's View to Sete Cidades is 7km, and is described as a 2 hour hike. But 1,281 yards is about 1km, not 7km. My confusion continues.

1 mile equals 5,280 FEET.  This excursion is ,1,281 YARDS, so multiply by 3 which equals 3,843 FEET which is about 3/4 as someone noted above. 

So, where ever it goes, can you walk 3/4 of a mile over some hilly terrain. 

Edited by harlekuin

16 minutes ago, harlekuin said:

1 mile equals 5,280 FEET.  This excursion is ,1,281 YARDS, so multiply by 3 which equals 3,843 FEET which is about 3/4 as someone noted above. 

So, where ever it goes, can you walk 3/4 of a mile over some hilly terrain. 

Yes. I've done some bouldering, reasonably fit but middle aged, and not a thrill seeker. Looking to commune with nature and not just do a drive to point A, take pix, get back in the bus to point B sort of thing. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2019 at 1:09 PM, Jasukkie said:

You have to go up a REALLY steep hill to get to the lookout point but it is well worth it

It was misting when we came back down and it was a little slippery.

Pics at:

http://www.chaseclub.com/cruise/2010B/index4.htm

• 4 weeks later...

I am following up my own question in case others are searching for this information in the future. I'm not sure why the description says 1,281 yards lol. It is about 4 miles of walking, from Miradouro Vista do Rei to Miradouro da Lomba do Lambo do Vasco. It's a dirt road along the rim of the crater, offering beautiful views of the 2 lakes to your right, and the sea to your left. There are some steeper sections but nothing difficult for someone who is used to hill walks. There are some uneven surfaces in the dirt road but this is in no way perilous or dangerous, no cliffs or places you could fall. I just wore regular sneakers and was fine. We were lucky and had a nice day, a mix of sun and clouds, and about 5 minutes of light rain. The tour also stops in the town of Sete Cidades for 30 minutes, and at a couple of other good picture taking points. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got bit with a similar description a few years ago on an excursion to the Pacaya Volcano in Guatemala.  "Guests must be able to walk 1.2 kilometers over uneven terrain."  Nooooo problem that's only about 4000'... piece of cake!  The excursion was about 8 miles and the 1.2 kilometers was indeed elevation... from 2500' to almost 7000'!  I now read those descriptions like a navy yard lawyer!!

Edited by BillB48
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1