Tell me everything I need to know before sailing on the Allure of the Seas!!

pmck

We will be sailing on the Allure on 05/26/2019 and are excited. Have been on only the Empress on RC.  Our other cruises have been on Princess.  Have watched a few YouTube videos and we are very excited.  I see that people say that you need to book shows and such in advance of sailing.  My husband is having a hard time with that, since we don't always know what we'll be doing on any given day and it's hard to plan that far ahead.  Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Patti

Planning ahead has its benefits.   It allows you to take the need to think about it on the ship away.    We really like it.   Allows us to be completely in relaxation mode once we board.   There is also SO MUCH to do, you can really wrap yourself around the axle.    Sit down and decide what excites you and plan for that, knowing you can change your mind at any time.

And in any event, if you change your mind, don't go to the event.    Shows are free.   And most show have room for people without reservations.  Maybe not the best sets, but there are really no bad seats.    Excursions can be cancelled and fully refunded up to 24 hours before the event.

Key think is don't sweat it.   It's all about taking your brain and putting it in a jar for a week.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zdad59 said:

Planning ahead has its benefits.   It allows you to take the need to think about it on the ship away.    We really like it.   Allows us to be completely in relaxation mode once we board.   There is also SO MUCH to do, you can really wrap yourself around the axle.    Sit down and decide what excites you and plan for that, knowing you can change your mind at any time.

And in any event, if you change your mind, don't go to the event.    Shows are free.   And most show have room for people without reservations.  Maybe not the best sets, but there are really no bad seats.    Excursions can be cancelled and fully refunded up to 24 hours before the event.

Key think is don't sweat it.   It's all about taking your brain and putting it in a jar for a week.   

Thanks! When can you start booking the reservations?

2 minutes ago, pmck said:

Thanks! When can you start booking the reservations?

I varies from sailing to sailing.     Usually 90-120 days out you’ll see the shows open up for reservations.   Just keep an eye on your cruise planner.  

One tip....book Ocean Aria, the water/diving show, early in the cruise.    Sometimes weather or sea conditions will cause the show to be cancelled.   If you book it early, and it’s cancelled, you’ll still have other opportunities to see it later in the week.     It is an awesome show.  

3 hours ago, zdad59 said:

thanks, I booked a few shows.. I figure we can always change our minds or not go if something else comes up.  thanks for your help!

I varies from sailing to sailing.     Usually 90-120 days out you’ll see the shows open up for reservations.   Just keep an eye on your cruise planner.  

One tip....book Ocean Aria, the water/diving show, early in the cruise.    Sometimes weather or sea conditions will cause the show to be cancelled.   If you book it early, and it’s cancelled, you’ll still have other opportunities to see it later in the week.     It is an awesome show.  

They may change show times around onboard anyway.  Do see Blue Planet if it is still onboard.  Kind of strange, but some nice effects (especially the tree).  Show up around 30 minutes prior to most shows for good seats, maybe 45 for aqua shows if you want a seat that isn't a bench.  They open all shows up to standbys at 10 minutes prior to showtime so certainly get there before then.  Generally they have two different ice and aqua shows, with no reservations for one of each. 

Solarium Cafe is less hectic for breakfast and lunch than buffet.  Fewer choices, though.

Ship excursions work a bit differently than Princess.  On Princess the meeting time tends to be when the tour leaves.  On Royal it is more likely people won't show up until the meeting time.

If you are doing MyTime Dining making at least tentative reservations is worth doing.  Can be changed easily and line is shorter.  But not a big deal if you decide not to make reservations.  Process still works better than on Princess (although having eight checkin stations and a bar in the area is kind of freaky).

Thanks Lee.  What's your input on the drink packages? Have you done them.  I see the price is down to 56 p/p now. Do you think that it will go lower?  Is it worth the price?  How much do mixed drinks cost on RC?   We did do the Empress 2 years ago, but I can't remember.  Princess had some kind of "card deal" that they offered about half way through the cruise.  You paid a set amount for the card and then they punched it when you got a drink. I think you got 10-20 drinks on the card.

Patti

I have done the drink package several times   $56 is a fairly standard price for the drink package.  For that 5 or 6 drinks/day is about the break even point.  I would purchase it now and then keep an eye on the price.  If it drops, cancel your existing purchase, and purchase it at the new price.

On 2/15/2019 at 7:29 AM, pmck said:

Thanks Lee.  What's your input on the drink packages? Have you done them.  I see the price is down to 56 p/p now. Do you think that it will go lower?  Is it worth the price?  How much do mixed drinks cost on RC?   We did do the Empress 2 years ago, but I can't remember.  Princess had some kind of "card deal" that they offered about half way through the cruise.  You paid a set amount for the card and then they punched it when you got a drink. I think you got 10-20 drinks on the card.

Patti

Have seen 10 drink cards a few times near the end of a cruise for maybe $79+grat.  Never tempted.  Royal mixed drinks are priced higher than Princess, at around $12 or so.  Obviously a good deal for some folks but we bought exactly one drink beside wine at dinner on last cruise, so not for us. 

Now that we have hit diamond and get three drinks around dinner time (plus unlimited in Diamond Lounge) we are not sure we even need to bring any wine for the next B2B cruise.  B2B Navigator has the drink package at $46 for first cruise and $56 for second.  But if you don't drink specialty coffee/tea, get water from the tap, and seldom drink fresh OJ the drink packages just makes no sense for us.  We do get the soda only package, which at $9.99 costs more than the new soda and more on Princess but doesn't have non-alcoholic cocktails like Princess does.