Martinis on Escape

Elvis1209

We're traveling on Escape in May.  My question is where do they make the best martini onboard?  A martini is the easiest drink to make, but is also the easiest drink to screw up!

Elvis

85 days to go!

Edited by Elvis1209

Try the Prime Meridian bar between Cagney’s and Moderno on deck 8 aft. That bar is essentially open when the restaurants are operating. If you want one in the afternoon try the Atrium bar or Mixx between the MDRs Taste and Savor, that like Prime Meridian, is open when the restaurants are open. 

We have been on most ships, including Escape, and we love martinis. Our tradition is to have a Cosmopolitan martini (or two) each as our very first drink on board to kick off the cruise! This means we need to find a bar that is open (in the afternoon before muster) and serves Cosmos.

After 22 cruises, I can say it all depends on the bartender, not the bar. Sometimes it can depend on the ingredients. Last cruise on Jewel, they somehow ran out of or were short on fresh lemons/limes so they used Minute Maid concentrated lemon juice - sorry the Cosmo tasted awful with that.

Edited by bluesea777

11 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

Try the Prime Meridian bar between Cagney’s and Moderno on deck 8 aft. That bar is essentially open when the restaurants are operating. If you want one in the afternoon try the Atrium bar or Mixx between the MDRs Taste and Savor, that like Prime Meridian, is open when the restaurants are open. 

Those two, plus Atrium and Tobacco. Give them all a try, lol.

ENJOY!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

We have been on most ships, including Escape, and we love martinis. Our tradition is to have a Cosmopolitan martini (or two) each as our very first drink on board to kick off the cruise! This means we need to find a bar that is open (in the afternoon before muster) and serves Cosmos.

After 22 cruises, I can say it all depends on the bartender, not the bar. Sometimes it can depend on the ingredients. Last cruise on Jewel, they somehow ran out of or were short on fresh lemons/limes so they used Minute Maid concentrated lemon juice - sorry the Cosmo tasted awful with that.

You are absolutely right, it depends on the bartender. The thing is they move around to different bars so if you find a bartender you really like, ask them their schedule. Also be specific when ordering your martini. My wife likes dry gin martinis so in addition to choosing the brand of gin, we always ask the bartender to add just a very, very small amount of vermouth.

Do most of the ships still do Martini Tastings (or as I call them, Martini Drinkings) on the first sea day?

That would be a good opportunity to assess the skills and creative range of the bartenders.

(You may want to have someone along to take notes, though. I can't remember anything from the ones I went to for some reason...)

Edited by quercus alba

Yes I would like to know also if NCL (Escape for my October, 2918 cruise) still have the martini classes,  As I remember there where 4-5 classes in the afternoon usually on sea days where a person could sample 4-5 different martinis.   There was usually a group of us that goes 5-6 people among the 15-20 who attend.

We liked these classes since we could learn about different martinis and talk about different things also.

A couple of us would find a martini bar after the class, later on in the evening or a off day when there were no classes and have  couple of martinis,   This would be the only time I would drink martinis but I do drink gin and tonics or rum and 7up when on land.

Any feed back would be great or we might have to find some other type of tasting,  Me-

wine since I really do not care for micro beer.

Thanks

Sam The Cat

On 2/16/2019 at 4:20 PM, gmbhardy said:

You are absolutely right, it depends on the bartender. The thing is they move around to different bars so if you find a bartender you really like, ask them their schedule. Also be specific when ordering your martini. My wife likes dry gin martinis so in addition to choosing the brand of gin, we always ask the bartender to add just a very, very small amount of vermouth.

Your wife is spot on, a martini as dry as the Sahara, or as Noel Coward said "a perfect Martini should be made by filling a glass with gin, and then waving it in the general direction of Italy"

8 hours ago, Sam The Cat said:

Yes I would like to know also if NCL (Escape for my October, 2918 cruise) still have the martini classes,  As I remember there where 4-5 classes in the afternoon usually on sea days where a person could sample 4-5 different martinis.   There was usually a group of us that goes 5-6 people among the 15-20 who attend.

We liked these classes since we could learn about different martinis and talk about different things also.

A couple of us would find a martini bar after the class, later on in the evening or a off day when there were no classes and have  couple of martinis,   This would be the only time I would drink martinis but I do drink gin and tonics or rum and 7up when on land.

Any feed back would be great or we might have to find some other type of tasting,  Me-

wine since I really do not care for micro beer.

Thanks

Sam The Cat

So you'll be aboard in October? (I assumed you meant October 2019!  October 2918 is a ways off!)  I'll let you know where you can get a good martini.

Elvis

2 hours ago, Elvis1209 said:

So you'll be aboard in October? (I assumed you meant October 2019!  October 2918 is a ways off!)  I'll let you know where you can get a good martini.

Elvis

I am sorry and you are correct 2019.  What I am really looking for does the Escape have martini classes or did NCL do away with them.  I am not much into the micro beer tasting  but for an hour or two I and friend either I know or just met enjoy the martini classes where we can take about the martini or anything else that crosses our minds

No pear martini for me!  I'm a purist!  I only drink classic martinis!  The only variation I will tolerate is either vodka or gin!  A martini is a test I give to a bar.  If they can make a good martini, they can usually make anything.  Like I said before, martinis are the easiest drink to make, but it's also the easiest drink to screw up.  I do have to admit that "Tobacco Road" sounds like a bar that will make a good martini!  I'll let you know.

Elvis

79 days to go!