Prinsendam cabin layout question

kaymoz

We'll sail this summer for the first time on the Pdam and are booked in a cabin that we might want to try to change before final payment is due, which is soon!   Originally, we took what was available that would give us the option to include our son as a third person in our cabin, but are pretty certain now that he can't go along, so we no longer have that constraint. 

In studying the deck plans, it appears that on many of the decks ( Dolphin, Main, Lower & Upper Promenade), just about every other cabin has an asterisk designation, for "shower only," and these look to be a little narrower.  But I can't find cabin plans that show the differences between the shower-only cabins and the "regular" arrangement.  What's this about?  I hope those of you who know this ship's layout intimately can help educate me so if we try to change cabins, we'll be more informed!

You are very observant and absolutely correct.

The shower only rooms are smaller than the rooms with the combined tub and shower.  Those rooms are wider as the bathroom is bigger.  At least, that is how it seemed to me.

If you take a look at halfacts dot com there are a good number of Prinsendam cabin pics which could be very helpful to you.

Thanks Kazu for the suggestion about Halfacts.  It was very clear from one of the photos there (cabin 308) that the shower only rooms are smaller because the space for the recessed entry hallway that we see on the deck plans is subtracted from the floor area of that type of cabin.  This results not just in a smaller bath/no tub, but an alcove effect on one wall and the entry door located right by the head of the bed.  (Ugghh - not so good if one person is going in & out of the cabin while the other is trying to sleep!)  So basically, every other cabin in these areas has a very different arrangement from that shown in the schematics. 

I have stayed in both cabins and did not feel a difference in the tub vs. shower cabins. The width is slightly smaller in the shower cabins, but is really not noticeable in the cabin proper. It's most of the width of the tub that is lost.
There is one nightstand in the shower cabin, vs. two in the tub cabin. The nightstand can be on either side of the bed, or between the two beds if they are set as twins. The love seat will either have the nightstand or the bed immediately next to it in the shower cabins.
The arrangement of the bathroom is slightly different, but nothing major. Storage in the bathroom is limited in both.

Personally, I prefer the shower only, since the tubs are so high and can be dangerous to get in/out of.

47 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I have stayed in both cabins and did not feel a difference in the tub vs. shower cabins. The width is slightly smaller in the shower cabins, but is really not noticeable in the cabin proper. It's most of the width of the tub that is lost.
There is one nightstand in the shower cabin, vs. two in the tub cabin. The nightstand can be on either side of the bed, or between the two beds if they are set as twins. The love seat will either have the nightstand or the bed immediately next to it in the shower cabins.
The arrangement of the bathroom is slightly different, but nothing major. Storage in the bathroom is limited in both.

Personally, I prefer the shower only, since the tubs are so high and can be dangerous to get in/out of.

Echo what RuthC has written.  In fact, we, too, prefer the shower only cabins.  Sadly, I won't get a chance to sail P'dam before she passes to her new owners.  But I have fond, fond memories.