How to get countdown clock on Signature

CC has stopped supporting its countdown clock. If you have a link to some other clock you can insert it in your signature. However, should you try this you will have to erase your current signature and create a new one that follows the new, more restrictive rules.

The change is made in your Account settings, https://boards.cruisecritic.com/settings/signature/.

On 2/17/2019 at 5:02 PM, broberts said:

CC has stopped supporting its countdown clock. If you have a link to some other clock you can insert it in your signature. However, should you try this you will have to erase your current signature and create a new one that follows the new, more restrictive rules.

The change is made in your Account settings, https://boards.cruisecritic.com/settings/signature/.

Link to countdown clock https://www.cruisecritic.com/vbulletin/countdown.cfm

• 2 weeks later...

I just went to the link for the countdown clock and created a new clock BUT I had to save the picture and then insert it in my signature section.  Voila!

It wouldn't let me put in a date later than 2021.  Oh well:)

Edited by Timar0807

• 2 months later...
On 3/7/2019 at 5:58 AM, Timar0807 said:

I just went to the link for the countdown clock and created a new clock BUT I had to save the picture and then insert it in my signature section.  Voila!

Can you explain how you got it all to work and how did you save the picture please?

Edited by Minya
fix

There is a larger thread perhaps 5 posts down from this one - There is currently a problem that Jenn is looking into

I can see the clocks Minya  yours are  Queen Vic and Magellan.

Ghandalph explorer OTS

Edited by Aulanis

13 hours ago, Aulanis said:

There is a larger thread perhaps 5 posts down from this one - There is currently a problem that Jenn is looking into

I can see the clocks Minya  yours are  Queen Vic and Magellan.

Ghandalph explorer OTS

I am not sure how you can see them when I cant . what is Ghandolph explorer OTS?

I see you did a Viking Ukraine cruise. I did one in 2001 Viking General  Lavrinenkov  Kiev -Odessa return. Was it very German orientated and did you have  a Ukrainian or maybe Russian woman in charge of all the English speaking groups called Alla?

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:58 AM, Timar0807 said:

I can see your two countdown clocks in your signature. However, when I refresh my screen the time stays the same on both and does not count down. They appear to be just images of what the time was at the time you saved the pictures.

A Little Bit of History For All

In the beginning, the Cruise Critic countdown clocks were not brought over to the new Invision Community software because of a perceived incompatibility. It was thought newly created clocks would not count down. After the switch the new software did not support the Cruise Critic countdown clocks but existing clocks still worked. Just as the old signatures with the over the new images & lines limits were grandfathered over. After a while, the old vBulletin software link https://www.cruisecritic.com/vbulletin/countdown.cfm  was allowed and the new clocks stared appearing and working correctly. However, on or about May 22, 2020 the Cruise Critic countdown clocks disappeared and only a black box with an X and some code remained.

Please see the thread titled Countdown Clocks started May 23, 2020 and note the following important posts:

It appears we all need to just be patient for the tech team to "do their thang and git 'er done." Hopefully they will be able to come to the rescue of our beloved ❤️ Cruise Critic countdown clocks. Just please hang in there, all y'all!!

Kat 😺

You might try clicking in the top left corner of the edit. Then press Ctrl+A which should highlight the entire contents. Then hold the shift key down and press up arrow repeatedly until the text you wish to keep is not highlighted. Then press delete (Del).

4 minutes ago, DELTABLUE said:

Nope.  It highlighted everything BUT the line of clock text.:classic_sad:

Did you follow the rest of the instructions anyways? Sometimes highlighting of objects is less than clear.

You could simply type Ctrl-A and Delete. This will remove everything.

Edited by broberts

On 6/8/2019 at 12:39 PM, Minya said:

I am not sure how you can see them when I cant . what is Ghandolph explorer OTS?

I see you did a Viking Ukraine cruise. I did one in 2001 Viking General  Lavrinenkov  Kiev -Odessa return. Was it very German orientated and did you have  a Ukrainian or maybe Russian woman in charge of all the English speaking groups called Alla?

The pics are being blocked by your security -  I use  firefox and I can tell it overide the security and allow the pics.(clocks)

Ghandolph  posted  just before you did so I just mentioned I could see him on his clock being on Explorer of the seas.

Our rivercruise was not mainly germans many canadians and we dont recall a Russian/Ukrainian host.

Although nothing like an ocean cruise we enjoyed it a lot. Think the ships may be a bit better now though Viking

stopped going for a few years.  If you use firefox as a browser I may be able to tell you how to see the clocks

I dont know how to do it on other browsers.

15 hours ago, DELTABLUE said:

By Jove, I think we've got it!:classic_biggrin:  Plan B seems to have worked.  Thanx for the assist!😉

Just an FYI that you are using a font (Comic Sans iirc) that is incompatible with CC since the upgrade, in that it displays on mobile devices as virtually unreadable script. It only displays properly on desktops/laptops, so perhaps you haven’t noticed the problem if you are not using a phone or tablet.  Most members who have been made aware of this problem have switched to a different font (nothing wrong with the default font).  Thank you!

Turtles06...I do use a desktop when posting and things look fine here.  As Comic Sans MS is one of the fonts offered, I was not aware that there were any compatibility issues.  Are any of the other fonts offered also problematic and can I still be blue?

26 minutes ago, DELTABLUE said:

Turtles06...I do use a desktop when posting and things look fine here.  As Comic Sans MS is one of the fonts offered, I was not aware that there were any compatibility issues.  Are any of the other fonts offered also problematic and can I still be blue?

Comic Sans I think is the key offender. Whatever you have switched to is fine, and much appreciated!   Of course you can be blue. 🙂

7 hours ago, Aulanis said:

The pics are being blocked by your security -  I use  firefox and I can tell it overide the security and allow the pics.(clocks)

Ghandolph  posted  just before you did so I just mentioned I could see him on his clock being on Explorer of the seas.

Our rivercruise was not mainly germans many canadians and we dont recall a Russian/Ukrainian host.

Although nothing like an ocean cruise we enjoyed it a lot. Think the ships may be a bit better now though Viking

stopped going for a few years.  If you use firefox as a browser I may be able to tell you how to see the clocks

I dont know how to do it on other browsers.

I do use Firefox so how do overcome security please?

Sounds like your Ukrainian cruise might have been a lot nicer. Although extremely knowledgeable, Alla was very intolerant of anyone who needed a stick for walking like my elderly mother and was very rude to her and tried to prevent her from seeing things. I will say the itinerary and food was super  but I wish we had had more English speaking folk aboard Canadians would  have been excellent the few  friendly French speaking passengers  preferred to join us if they were allowed!

10 hours ago, Minya said:

I do use Firefox so how do overcome security please?

Ok  

First you need to get the link to a clock  - you can use mine-

https://clocks.cruisecritic.com/countdown.pl?image=vfin&name=Aulanis&date=06-22-2019&text=Baltic Cities-14Days&ship=Marella Explorer  

Copy the link and post it into your browser ( firefox)   click the arrow at the end

The browser searches for the website where the picture is held  and it should come up with a warning message.   
Click on "advanced"  (once only)  and scroll down.

Click on Accept the risk and continue.

That works for me.  Go back into CC and refresh the page and you should see the clocks.

Edited by Aulanis

Thankyou very much I followed your instructions and saw your image. I tried it for myself coudlnt get it to work then i went into my countdown links   on my expanded signature

I right clicked and then as you said it came up with the warning message and i followed it through as you said then went back in to the roll call thread and refreshed it and hey presto!! not only the one I clicked on on but  both came up with my countdown clock . brilliant!! 🙂   I am now going to create my third countdown clock  and see if that works same method.