Disney desired activities sold out before could access them

ledzepfan

Greetings,

We booked an Atlantic crossing cruise with Disney on the magic May 12-25, 2019.  We were only allowed to start booking activities on board and port on February 11.  Upon accessing these activities, most of the desired activities like Granada and Seville were already sold out.  Also, every wine tasting, mixology and spirits tasting was sold out.  I do not like this Disney magic.  Are there any suggestions of why this happened?  Is there a hierarchy of early access based on number of cruises?  What recourse can I take?  Of course, Disney said keep checking and to try once we are on the ship.  This is the first time I have experienced this on any cruise line and this is my third cruise with Disney.

Regards,

Mike

1 hour ago, ledzepfan said:

Greetings,

We booked an Atlantic crossing cruise with Disney on the magic May 12-25, 2019.  We were only allowed to start booking activities on board and port on February 11.  Upon accessing these activities, most of the desired activities like Granada and Seville were already sold out.  Also, every wine tasting, mixology and spirits tasting was sold out.  I do not like this Disney magic.  Are there any suggestions of why this happened?  Is there a hierarchy of early access based on number of cruises?  What recourse can I take?  Of course, Disney said keep checking and to try once we are on the ship.  This is the first time I have experienced this on any cruise line and this is my third cruise with Disney.

Regards,

Mike

As noted, there is a "seniority" to booking excursions.  Returning cruisers (Castaway Club members) have access to the bookings early than a first time DCL cruiser.  

First time DCL cruisers can book at 75 days out

Silver CC member (taken 1 DCL cruise) - 90 days out

Gold CC member (after 5 DCL cruises) - 105 days out

Platinum CC member (after 10 DCL cruises) - 120 days out

Also, Concierge level reservations can book at 120 days out.

I suggest you just keep checking, especially the closer you get the cruise, as, unlike other cruise lines where you pay for your excursions/activities at the time of booking, DCL doesn't charge you until you board the ship.  Often things get booked up by people who make a reservation "just in case" they want to do them, and then they cancel just prior to being charged for them.

Also, if nothing opens up before you actually board the ship, go to the Port Activities desk as soon as you board to check, and ask if there are wait lists started for the activity(s) you are interested in.

Just remain calm, remember we were all first timers once, and had the same issue.  

Edited by Shmoo here

Some of the excursions that are reflected as “sold out” were never available, even to Concierge and Platinum level cruisers.  My understanding is that they continue to work with vendors, and tickets for some of the venues are not available at this time. 

• 1 month later...

We too are on your sailing and in the exact same situation. From what I've read on our other social site "Face place" I think we'll be okay. Apparently the characters are everywhere for the kids and they stay super busy and entertained in the kids club each day. I'm more concerned with some of the adult programming like mixology, etc but plan to go to get services upon boarding if nothing opens up before then. I guess I figure we'll save some money by not paying for some of this stuff ha ha. I was hoping for a character breakfast for the kids at least but so far, no luck. Just going to try and make the most of it and hope everyone is right that we won't notice we didn't get to sign up for anything. Just stinks to pay so much and know we'll be on a smaller ship for two weeks with out the reassurance that we have some cool things already in place to keep us entertained but I did read these TA sailings are unique in that the programming is different and varied from the norm anyways...I did buy some cheap, fun dress up stuff for pirate night for my kids so we can have fun getting ready for that. I figure they won't know what they may be missing if I don't tell them!