Vatican Timed Tickets ?

ms sjsky

Does anyone know if I book a ticket for a 9am entry, can I use it at 3:30pm if I decide to go later that day.  The reason I'm asking is that we have a 1:45pm Scavi tour and I would like to deal with less crowds either 1st thing in the morning or after the Scavi tour, and would rather decide that day what we feel like doing.  Thanks.

They may give you a little wiggle room before or after your schedule time (say 15 mins), but no -- you cannot show up at 3:30 pm if your tickets are for 9:00 am.  The tickets are an attempt to control the crowds inside, and they expect you to show up at your ticket time.

Thanks for the replies.  I'm leaning towards the later ticket.  Has anyone toured the Vatican museums between 4-6pm?  Just wondering what I can expect as far as crowd size goes.  This would be on a Monday which I know is a busier weekday.   

11 hours ago, ms sjsky said:

Thanks for the replies.  I'm leaning towards the later ticket.  Has anyone toured the Vatican museums between 4-6pm?  Just wondering what I can expect as far as crowd size goes.  This would be on a Monday which I know is a busier weekday.   

I have found that the crowds dwindle later in the day - 4-6 should be less crowded than earlier in the day.

On 2/18/2019 at 7:37 AM, dogs4fun said:

I have found that the crowds dwindle later in the day - 4-6 should be less crowded than earlier in the day.

We were in the Vatican on a weekday mid December last year. We were told it was an 'off' day, not as crowded as a busy day.' I have never seen so many people crowded into this place as when we were there and if this was an 'off' day, I would hate to see what it is like on a crowded day. We had a Vatican tour booked and my DW got separated from the tour. Trying to find her thru that crowd was impossible. Lucky we had those head buds and I was able to tell her where to be thru the microphone and we were all reunited. In the Sistine Chapel it was like cramming little sardines into a small can as to the amount of people in that room, again, on an 'off' day. 

Maybe the latter you go will be better, but certainly not in the AM. Be prepared for mass crowds and we are from NY and suppose to be used to crowds.

Cheers

Len