travel insurance- cancer claim denied

kala1308

just wanted to add my voice to what to avoid with travel insurance companies as i have just had a very unpleasant experience with Insure and Go. i had to cancel a cruise to Dubrovnik due to having to have a cancer operation, i had previously had cancer so was very careful to declare this and send any paperwork to support this. they have refused on the basis of pre existing condition which it wasn't as the initial cancer had been removed, it just that i had a reoccurrance which they are now trying to say i never declared, i can assure i have been upfront with this company at all times. they on the other hand have overrun on all time lines and would not have replied had i not emailed them. 

to add insult to injury they offered £120.00 for overrunning on the case and consider this their final answer......

In some cases if you have had cancer previously, even if in remission or "removed" you will still have to purchase travel insurance within the pre existing Condition window to get coverage. This is something that happens frequently so should  always read policy terms and contact company for clarification. Sorry this happened to you

3 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

In some cases if you have had cancer previously, even if in remission or "removed" you will still have to purchase travel insurance within the pre existing Condition window to get coverage. This is something that happens frequently so should  always read policy terms and contact company for clarification. Sorry this happened to you

OP appears to be from the UK, where travel insurance is VERY different, from everything I've read here.

Apparently they do indeed need to "declare in advance" and get approval for specific conditions, unlike the USA-based more common "purchase within the waiver period and you are good to go", etc.

Someone from the UK may have some experience or expertise to offer.

It would be very nice if there were some non-USA travel insurance broker who could do a Q&A like Steve did recently for mostly USA-based coverage.  (Yes, there are still lots of countries, so they should specify  "where" it applies, etc.)

GC

I traveled with my  breast cancer(my surgery is next week)I did buy travel insurance when I went to my New Orleans non- cruise trip in December.  I never had issues traveling. They gave me coverage(travel Guard) Then again I don't know the policies across the pond in the UK. I know I won't be doing any travel for a  few  months.  With most companies and even people. You mention cancer they treat you like a  fragile doll or get nervous and walk on eggshells around you. But I understand the travel companies don't want the risk of someone  even with a simple cold, your immune system  can be compromised. Sorry this is happening to you. But every cancer journey is different. Good luck!!!