internet Nieuw Amsterdam

Jareds_mommytoo

26 minutes ago, Jareds_mommytoo said:

I was under the impression not all ships had these packages yet according to this post 

There has been discussion here and on FB as to which ships have unlimited. I was just trying to find out if any ships still used the minutes plans. It doesn't appear that any do.

POA1 had a great suggestion of using a hot spot travel router to enable multiple people to utilize the same internet plan at the same time assuming they are all near the router. We bought TP-Link N300 Wireless Portable Nano Travel Router - WiFi Bridge/Range Extender/Access Point/Client Modes, Mobile in Pocket(TL-WR802N) from Amazon at his suggestion along with a rechargeable portable battery charger. Dh set it up on his phone before we left home so it was pretty easy to get going once onboard. It worked like a dream. 3 of us were all hooked in at once. We just kept it near the cabin and we all could use it in the cabin or on the balcony.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

POA1 had a great suggestion of using a hot spot travel router to enable multiple people to utilize the same internet plan at the same time assuming they are all near the router. We bought TP-Link N300 Wireless Portable Nano Travel Router - WiFi Bridge/Range Extender/Access Point/Client Modes, Mobile in Pocket(TL-WR802N) from Amazon at his suggestion along with a rechargeable portable battery charger. Dh set it up on his phone before we left home so it was pretty easy to get going once onboard. It worked like a dream. 3 of us were all hooked in at once. We just kept it near the cabin and we all could use it in the cabin or on the balcony.

Would we need to bring a laptop or is it possible to do 100% wireless? We are planning on bring an iPad and phones 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jareds_mommytoo said:

Would we need to bring a laptop or is it possible to do 100% wireless? We are planning on bring an iPad and phones 

We set it up on dh's android phone before we left just in case we encountered any trouble (I didn't want to have to drag a laptop) but never used it on our laptop or any larger device than my tablet. I accessed on my tablet a couple times but it's homebase was dh's phone. He had to log in every am to make sure everyone could access it but that was no biggie. He just input his HAL passcode and that set it up for the day. Was way easier than I thought it would be. Pretty snazzy actually. We plan to use it on other vacas.

Edited by fatcat04

2 minutes ago, Jareds_mommytoo said:

Thanks, I am a little tech savvy. I think I will order one and try it out. 

Make sure to grab an external power source like Anker PowerCore 13000, Compact 13000mAh 2-Port Ultra-Portable Phone Charger Power Bank with PowerIQ and VoltageBoost Technology for iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy (Black). That's what we got cause we have a teen and we ALL have tons of things that need charge so we opted for a larger option. It worked well for this and charging up phones too. BUT you could easily get away with a lipstick battery too.

On 2/18/2019 at 3:04 PM, Jareds_mommytoo said:

What are the prices right now. We leave in a month. 

I called HAL yesterday to inquire...they quoted for our 7 day cruise to Alaska on Nieuw Amsterdam in May: $69.99 for Social Media Package, $99.99 for Surf Package and $139.99 for Premium Package... all unlimited.

Edited by RoyalVisit

Usually I purchase a plan that costs $50 for 100 Minutes or $100 for 250 Minutes.   It was a good deal especially last spring when our house was for sale.   I usually sign on, download my email and then sign off again.   I just got off the Koningsdam and they just introduced new plans that cost $25.00/day or a set amount for the cruise... some plans for social media and others for email.   I didn't like this change, since this would over quadruple my cost to use the internet (I was on board for 31 days) and voiced my disapproval both to the front desk and on the post cruise survey.  As a result, for the first time, I did not use the internet.  US customers can usually get plans for the Caribbean on their phones, unfortunately Canadians cannot.   If you are going on the Eurodam in March there are a lot of sea days.   I hope they have not changed over to this new plan.

Edited by drumcorpsmom

47 minutes ago, drumcorpsmom said:

I hope they have not changed over to this new plan.

All HAL ships have converted to the unlimited plans. I used to get by using just 4 or 5 minutes a day to just download/upload emails. From now on I will do that only from ports.

Edited by catl331