BOGO Dining with a 5 year old

M-H-B

There is a decent BOGO offer in my cruise planner at the moment but I’m travelling just me and my 5 year old son.  There is this clause in the Additional Terms/Conditions:

[For Cover Charge Products], Children between the ages of 0-5 are complimentary and ages 6-12 are $10 per child; children must order from the kids menu.  Please reserve product for all guests who wish to dine. Adult price will be applied for all guests regardless of age; the difference between the adult price and child price will be refunded in the form of a refundable onboard credit (unless booked with non-refundable credit, in which case OBC will be non-refundable). For Dining Packages, children ages 12 and under are excluded from offer. 

The first line indicates he’d be free but that last line about under 12’s being excluded is contradictory: does it mean that I can’t purchase the BOGO offer if I need to take him along?

Anyone with experience of this?

21 hours ago, M-H-B said:

There is a decent BOGO offer in my cruise planner at the moment but I’m travelling just me and my 5 year old son.  There is this clause in the Additional Terms/Conditions:

[For Cover Charge Products], Children between the ages of 0-5 are complimentary and ages 6-12 are $10 per child; children must order from the kids menu.  Please reserve product for all guests who wish to dine. Adult price will be applied for all guests regardless of age; the difference between the adult price and child price will be refunded in the form of a refundable onboard credit (unless booked with non-refundable credit, in which case OBC will be non-refundable). For Dining Packages, children ages 12 and under are excluded from offer. 

The first line indicates he’d be free but that last line about under 12’s being excluded is contradictory: does it mean that I can’t purchase the BOGO offer if I need to take him along?

Anyone with experience of this?

We bought a BOGO & 3 Night Dining Package for our upcoming cruise and paid the full price for our 7 year old daughter. The terms did not include that language at the time and I don't want to limit her to just the kids menu as she likes to eat a lot of the same things that my wife & I do. If we get some sort of credit back then that's great, if not then that's fine too. I do wish it would be more clear and not constantly change, but I understand that's the nature of the beast.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ronaldo807 said:

We bought a BOGO & 3 Night Dining Package for our upcoming cruise and paid the full price for our 7 year old daughter. The terms did not include that language at the time and I don't want to limit her to just the kids menu as she likes to eat a lot of the same things that my wife & I do. If we get some sort of credit back then that's great, if not then that's fine too. I do wish it would be more clear and not constantly change, but I understand that's the nature of the beast.

Here is a picture of the kids menu at Coos for kids 6-12.  It’s a scaled down version of the adult menu. 

08213FA5-036B-4ED0-BDDB-C8FBBEBADEDB.jpeg

So why the last line then? What does that mean - that under 12's are excluded from the offer? Are they saying that kids pay Adult prices if you get the package and if so, why not just use that plain language??!!! RCI can be so frustrating.

The last

53 minutes ago, M-H-B said:

So why the last line then? What does that mean - that under 12's are excluded from the offer? Are they saying that kids pay Adult prices if you get the package and if so, why not just use that plain language??!!! RCI can be so frustrating.

The last line means that you can't purchase the BOGO for kids under 12 because they pay a lower price.  I think it's easy to understand when you read the first part.  

Perhaps if they explained why the BOGO wouldn't apply to kids such as they pay less, might have helped you.  I guess we all understand things differently.  Enjoy.

20 hours ago, katiel53 said:

The last

The last line means that you can't purchase the BOGO for kids under 12 because they pay a lower price.  I think it's easy to understand when you read the first part.  

Perhaps if they explained why the BOGO wouldn't apply to kids such as they pay less, might have helped you.  I guess we all understand things differently.  Enjoy.

Except they do let you buy the BOGO and dining packages for those under 12. I am proof of that. They should just offer a lower online price for those under the age of 12 instead of playing the will I or wont I get the difference refunded back once onboard.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ronaldo807 said:

Except they do let you buy the BOGO and dining packages for those under 12. I am proof of that. They should just offer a lower online price for those under the age of 12 instead of playing the will I or wont I get the difference refunded back once onboard.

I think you are expecting too much of Royal Caribbean's IT department to implement something that will recognize the child's age, even though it is on the booking.  Perhaps they hope that parents will book with the child and not remember to ask about the discount when onboard.  

I find it strange the website recognizes the age of a child if parents want to book a comedy show, so it won't allow the booking for someone under 18, but can't do the same for the specialty restaurants.  

• Like 2