Best Scenic Driving route Skye to Inverness

Hi,  I'm hoping for some opinions on the best scenic driving route from Skye to Inverness,   we'll be have traveled from Edinburgh, spending one night in Ft. William area, then 2 on Skye, I've been researching this on Trip Advisor & the Viamichelin app,  it looks like there are two possible routes:

The A87 & A890

Or just the straight A87

It looks like with either route we can make a detour to Eilean Donan which we will definitely do.   So which would you take & why?  We're looking for leisurely drive with lots of beautiful sites along the way.  Looks like either drive would take a little less than 3 hours if driven straight through, but we'll be stopping often.  

Appreciate any advice.   (Oh this is in early May of this year)

I don't know if this will work, but we just had a short TV series called 'Great British Car Journeys' and one was Inverness to Skye, but they were using 'back' roads and the old military roads (such as the one south side of Loch Ness). Here is the link to the episode, but I don't know if it will get blocked as you are in the US. https://www.channel4.com/programmes/great-british-car-journeys/on-demand/66310-001

Simon

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sddsddean said:

I don't know if this will work, but we just had a short TV series called 'Great British Car Journeys' and one was Inverness to Skye, but they were using 'back' roads and the old military roads (such as the one south side of Loch Ness). Here is the link to the episode, but I don't know if it will get blocked as you are in the US. https://www.channel4.com/programmes/great-british-car-journeys/on-demand/66310-001

Simon

Thanks Simon, it looks really interesting, but yes, I'm blocked as I'm in the U.S. 

If you have the time and want to see some of the best of Scotland go out of your way and see Torridon.

Kyle of Lochalsh to Stromeferry,  around Loch Carron, Shieldaig, Torridon, Kinlochewe, Garve, Inverness.

For an even fuller day go up to Gairloch.  The road alongside Loch Maree is breathtaking.  Over to Poolewe then across to Dundonnel and on to Inverness.

It will be a full day, but in May it will be daylight until at least 9pm.

Edited by Thejuggler

5 minutes ago, Thejuggler said:

If you have the time and want to see some of the best of Scotland go out of your way and see Torridon.

Kyle of Lochalsh to Stromeferry,  around Loch Carron, Shieldaig, Torridon, Kinlochewe, Garve, Inverness.

For an even fuller day go up to Gairloch.  The road alongside Loch Broom is breathtaking.  Over to Poolewe then across to A835 via Dundonnel and on to Inverness.

Hi, thanks for the tip, I'm looking up Torridon right now & it looks beautiful.

• 4 weeks later...

I second the motion to stop in Torridon.  We drove Inverness to Isle Skye, and it was also recommended that we drive the slow beautiful route taking in Torridon, we ended up there for lunch, at Torridon Resort. Gorgeous bar with more Whisky bottles than can be believed ( 365).  Viewpoint Loch Maree also stunning.  If we had more time we would have gone to Applecross, we did drive to see the Beach na Ba Viewpoint as well.  We went to see Eilean Donan Castle and took Skye bridge at Kyle of Lochalsh.   My most favorite drive day of a 2 week trip in Scotland. We stopped and stopped and really took our time.  While on Skye we drove to The Storr, and on to Kilt Rock. We went back from Skye on the south side, taking the ferry Armadale to Mallaig, we were going south to Glencoe, also gorgeous, stayed at Glencoe House, that was a fabulous splurge!; then on to Loch Lomond ( our least favorite of trip).  We went back to Edinburgh airport through Stirling, and stopped at Castle, we also planned a day to Linlithgow for a  festival with jousting, crafts, etc, it was so interesting and fun. I LOVED our trip to Scotland, you will have an awesome experience whatever you choose to do. Have a wonderful time,

Judi

4 minutes ago, prudence passenger said:

I second the motion to stop in Torridon.  We drove Inverness to Isle Skye, and it was also recommended that we drive the slow beautiful route taking in Torridon, we ended up there for lunch, at Torridon Resort. Gorgeous bar with more Whisky bottles than can be believed ( 365).  Viewpoint Loch Maree also stunning.  If we had more time we would have gone to Applecross, we did drive to see the Beach na Ba Viewpoint as well.  We went to see Eilean Donan Castle and took Skye bridge at Kyle of Lochalsh.   My most favorite drive day of a 2 week trip in Scotland. We stopped and stopped and really took our time.  While on Skye we drove to The Storr, and on to Kilt Rock. We went back from Skye on the south side, taking the ferry Armadale to Mallaig, we were going south to Glencoe, also gorgeous, stayed at Glencoe House, that was a fabulous splurge!; then on to Loch Lomond ( our least favorite of trip).  We went back to Edinburgh airport through Stirling, and stopped at Castle, we also planned a day to Linlithgow for a  festival with jousting, crafts, etc, it was so interesting and fun. I LOVED our trip to Scotland, you will have an awesome experience whatever you choose to do. Have a wonderful time,

Judi

Thank you Judi,  I"m so looking forward to our trip.   I think what we're going to do is play it by ear.  We don't want to be a schedule, so if we feel like spending a few more hours on Skye that morning, that's what we'll do...  & then drive the A87 route detouring at Eileen Donan, & Loch Ness on the way.   

If we feel like getting up early & getting on our way, we're going to take the route you & TheJugglar recommended..  I've got both routes marked out in our road map so we shall see.  

Thanks again!

On 2/19/2019 at 12:58 PM, cruise kitty said:

Thanks Simon, it looks really interesting, but yes, I'm blocked as I'm in the U.S. 

I was able to watch that show last night - via BBC's "Acorn" service. We have that as an app on our Amazon Fire TV

Confusingly BBC has two competing so called 'over the top' streaming services 'Acorn' and 'BritBox' with slightly different content on each.