Wish List With Kids

RCCL Fan

Headed out in a few weeks with my wife and two daughters 5 & 10. 

My kids tend to be a little accident prone, so I avoid super adventurous stuff but want to do something more than just sit on the beach.

Our cruise stops in Roatan, Costa Maya & Cozumel.  I have plans mostly locked down in Roatan, but the second two ports are up in the air.

I would like to do a quiet beach +  something else.

I'm thinking horseback riding in the water or  something similar.

Remember back in the day there was a minigolf place everyone raved about.

Any advice for a good clear water --- white sand beach --- with some additional activities for the kids?   Icing on the cake if there's massages too. 

Our previous stop in Costa Maya we just stayed by the port, and every year in Cozumel it's the National Park    looking to branch out. 

Any tips with kids?

In Costa Maya it is an easy $8 cab ride to the beach - we enjoyed Tropicante for the great service and food, but there are many beach clubs lined up along the shore to choose from.  Massages are available - I did not ask about prices - and the water was very clear.  No water toys, etc.

I was reading those reviews --- lot of people love the food --- not as much on activities. 

I was kinda hoping for an all inclusive kinda mix.   great food, nice beach, massages, horse back riding maybe?  

looks tougher to find that mix.

I am unaware of any horseback riding.  And "clear water" in Costa Maya - don't count on it.  Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not at all.  It's hit or miss.

If you want all-inclusive, then nothing comes close to Maya Chan.  They have paddle boards, kayaks, even a tree house.  Sand toys, jenga, cornhole, a small pool, etc. etc.  And you get your own private palapa for your family, a hammock, day bed, and service that is unbelievably good.  The best real, local Mexican I've ever had, too plus awesome drinks.  The massages aren't just some table stuck out on the sand in front of everyone, either.  I think it's $25 for 30 minutes and $40 for an hour, in a nice private cabana area in the "jungle" with sea breezes.

Just be realistic about the water in Costa Maya.  They sometimes get a good amount of seaweed and brown water.  I still go out in the water as it's perfectly nice, but it's not Roatan!

Thanks for the info --- Everyone says Maya Chan is the place.  I've just looking at the photos and the seaweed and brown water really gross me out.

I just don't see it being something I'll enjoy.  (and it's my birthday! I wanna be happy)

I don't lake swim because If i can't see through the water it weirds me out.

Any other suggestions on how to spend the day?  I'm worried with my 5 year old along for the ride a beach it probably our best bet.... but man the seaweed seems ugh.

Any resorts with awesome pools?

Edited by RCCL Fan

Native choice has a tour that does the ruins plus the seven color lagoon. It's called chaccoban extreme tour.  The only thing that may be a deterrent is the van ride there and back but it looks beautiful. We were supposed to do this in January but opted to stay on the strip. Theres also uvero beach club that has all the water toys for the kids. Have fun. We used to bring our 5 kids on trips and it drove us nuts trying to find a "kid" place.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 2/25/2019 at 4:01 PM, RCCL Fan said:

Thanks for the info --- Everyone says Maya Chan is the place.  I've just looking at the photos and the seaweed and brown water really gross me out.

I just don't see it being something I'll enjoy.  (and it's my birthday! I wanna be happy)

I don't lake swim because If i can't see through the water it weirds me out.

I took my daughter there when she was 9.  It is definitely like lake swimming but she did have a good time.   We played jenga, she went in the kayak and she loved the 2 resident dogs.   honestly,  i wouldn't take her back there.   I would agree with others look at Native choice-everyone I have spoken to have said they had a good time.

Yes look into the Native Choice  tours.  In addition to the "extreme" there a Maya Immersion one where they take you to a small village and show you Mayan customs and food.  Might be interesting for the children,

But unfortunately you will NOT find white sandy beaches along that section of the Mexican coast.

The waterpark just outside the port has activities and rides geared to younger clientele .You can buy your entrance directly at the park gate, no need for an excursion.