Amsterdam Pre-Cruise Hotel

tandtiff

I am searching for a hotel for 2 nights pre-cruise in Amsterdam in August.  We would like to stay somewhere close to the city Centre.  The choices are overwhelming!!  I am currently looking at the Pension Homeland and the DoubleTree as possibilities.  The Pension Homeland is much less expensive, but the reviews I have read are mixed.  It appears that there is no air-conditioning and it may be a bit further from the center.  Do any of you have any experience with either of these hotels or other recommendations?  We would like to stay under $250.00 per night, but that may not be possible.  Some of the other recommendations I have seen here (Banks Mansion, Movenpick, etc.) are over $300 per night for that time of year.

Thank you in advance.

I spent a number of nights at RHO Hotel, which is just off Dam Square. I found it very convenient, even though I had one wrist in a cast and was wearing a sling at the time (2014). You might find it just about in your price range.

The DoubleTree is across from the train station very convenient

We have stayed at Barbizon Palace also close to the train station ..we got a good deal via Priceline  then

Movenpick  is next to the port  but not as convenient to  the city centre

I would check prices on Trip advisor &  reviews  for your dates  as prices can vary

We stayed at Hotel Citadel. It was affordable, breakfast was actually really good and it was close. We walked from the train station there, I want to say it was a 5-10 mins walk? Not super easy but doable, and we had fun dodging all the bikes. It was very close from there to walk to to the canal cruise (We did the lovers canal cruise wine and cheese) and to the Anne Frank house in the morning. It did not have air conditioning though! They did have large fans. We managed, it was worth it for the location and price.

be sure to check if  the hotel has a lift or not  some of the budget places  you will find yourself lugging bags up the narrow staircase

Friends want a cheap hotel & were in the attic  no A/C  & small staircase 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

be sure to check if  the hotel has a lift or not  some of the budget places  you will find yourself lugging bags up the narrow staircase

Friends want a cheap hotel & were in the attic  no A/C  & small staircase 

Good advice, and not just the budget places. It’s wise to ask about lifts generally, especially if the hotel is a former canal house.  (Some hotels will have this info on their web sites.)

Just now, gnome12 said:

RHO Hotel has an elevator. It does not have a/c, which, to be honest, is usually not required in Amsterdam. Last year was an anomaly, but who knows what will happen this summer.

not  sure  if the hot summers are  an anomaly or not

we were there  in 2010 it was 30 C+ for the 3 days we were there

last July it was comfortable  but did heat up in the  2 wks were were sailing 😉

We usually stay at Marriott hotels (points...) does anyone have suggestions between Marriott Amsterdam Hotel and The Renaissance Hotel in Amsterdam?? Location preference? Thx. 

We've booked the Kimpton DeWitt for two nights pre-cruise and one night post-cruise...Great location and ranked VERY HIGH on tripadvisor:

http://www.kimptondewitthotel.com/us/en/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188590-d229478-Reviews-Kimpton_De_Witt_Amsterdam-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

9 hours ago, Bhop said:

We usually stay at Marriott hotels (points...) does anyone have suggestions between Marriott Amsterdam Hotel and The Renaissance Hotel in Amsterdam?? Location preference? Thx. 

It depends what you want to do in Amsterdam.

Marriott is closer to the museums. Renaissance is closer to the cruise terminal and Centraal Station. Apart from that both hotels are o.k.

Stayed at the W Amsterdam in 2017, and they are part of Marriott now. Very upscale and trendy, and they have elevators. Less than 10 minutes from Centraal Station by tram, and the team stops right near the hotel. Also not far from Anne Frank House.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk