Staying in touch back home

tidygirl

I know it is last minute as we will be sailing Sunday , but we usually go on a cruise and don't worry about keeping in touch regularly back home. Unfortunately my 88 year old mom broke her hip and had surgery just a few days ago and I need to keep informed in case I need to make any decisions on her care. I'm thinking before that  my husband and I each got a 24 hour Internet pass coupons  as we have sailed numerous times. Is my memory right? I really hate to pay the $100 for the whole week but may have to if I have no other options.

Does any know if there are any places in San Juan or St Maarten  I can get on the Internet?  I'm guessing Labadee  would be through the ship also? 

Does anyone know of any international phones that work while at sea without the ships Internet service? 

17 minutes ago, tidygirl said:

I know it is last minute as we will be sailing Sunday , but we usually go on a cruise and don't worry about keeping in touch regularly back home. Unfortunately my 88 year old mom broke her hip and had surgery just a few days ago and I need to keep informed in case I need to make any decisions on her care. I'm thinking before that  my husband and I each got a 24 hour Internet pass coupons  as we have sailed numerous times. Is my memory right? I really hate to pay the $100 for the whole week but may have to if I have no other options.

Does any know if there are any places in San Juan or St Maarten  I can get on the Internet?  I'm guessing Labadee  would be through the ship also? 

Does anyone know of any international phones that work while at sea without the ships Internet service? 

Check your phone plan. San Juan  may be the same as using your phone at home. I have aging parents at home as well.  I added Voom for $10 a day on to my drink package. I plan on contacting them with WiFi calling and emails. My father still has a flip phone. He still manages to text but there is a limit on the amount of words for each text,   You can ask a crew member where WiFi hot spots are available in St Maarten. It's been my experience that the service is hit or miss on the islands. 

Assuming that you are Diamond as you mentioned 2 24 hour internet coupons.

use the first coupon the first day.  Then use the second coupon as a $23.99 discount off purchasing the package for the remaining days.

Yes it will still cost you but then you won’t have to worry about your mom.  Small price to pay to know that you are available and won’t miss anything.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tidygirl said:

Most of the US carriers have coverage while at sea.  You are only charged for what you use.  For example, AT&T charges $2.49 per minute for voice calls and $0.50 for texts.  I would turn off cellular data if you go this route as that can get expensive with all the apps phoning home.  Contact your cell company for charges on cruise ship while at sea. 

1)  Use the Cellular at Sea to get any emergency calls or texts.  If used much, this will be more expensive that wifi.

2)  Get wifi package and setup wifi calling (if your phone and carrier support it) before you leave home.  Then you can call and text all you want.  Leave your phone in airplane mode.

3)  Check your carrier for international coverage and use it on port days.  When I was with ATT, they charged $30 for 30 days, and you get unlimited texts, limited data, and paid $1 per minute to call.  I switched to T-mobile to get unlimited texts, unlimited data, 25 cents per minute calling in over 210 countries for no extra charge.

4)  Do the wifi calling and find hotspots in ports.  Ask the crew, they know the best hotspots, as that is how the communicate with home.  They get charged a lot for wifi access on the ship.

5)  One other option for emergencies only, leave the Royal number to call the ship.  It is something like $8 per minute, but in an emergency, who cares.

• Like 1