Ovation vs Quantum

Zeikah

Hi All,

I already have a booking on Ovation from Sydney but am thinking about switching to Quantum from Singapore.

Trying to understand if there any differences between the two from anyone that has been on both? Is one better than the other or nothing much different.

Thanks in advance.

Depends how analytical you are. ;-) There are differences but many of them are less visible, or minor.

The most visible difference is the specially constructed musical instrument on Quantum, which none of the others including Ovation have. If you're into music, that's a standout. If not, it'd be much of a muchness. There is also a difference in shows, but it's not as though one is better than the other - they're just different. There's also some minor fitout differences; again I prefer Quantum, but most people wouldn't notice. For example, Quantum has a swing, which Ovation lost, and Quantum has a DJ telescopic booth in Seaplex which Ovation lost.

In the back-end, there are substantial backend dining and other operation differences, which aren't visible unless you compared. I prefer Quantum for these. And the suite concierge operates differently; personally I much preferred Quantum.

All in all, if you've never sailed either before, and Ovation was the first, you wouldn't realise the things that aren't there, and they won't make massive differences to the overall experience. Also, depending on what you prefer to do onboard, you may not notice those things anyway even if on Quantum. For me though, Quantum was way better.

30 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Depends how analytical you are. 😉 There are differences but many of them are less visible, or minor.

The most visible difference is the specially constructed musical instrument on Quantum, which none of the others including Ovation have. If you're into music, that's a standout. If not, it'd be much of a muchness. There is also a difference in shows, but it's not as though one is better than the other - they're just different. There's also some minor fitout differences; again I prefer Quantum, but most people wouldn't notice. For example, Quantum has a swing, which Ovation lost, and Quantum has a DJ telescopic booth in Seaplex which Ovation lost.

In the back-end, there are substantial backend dining and other operation differences, which aren't visible unless you compared. I prefer Quantum for these. And the suite concierge operates differently; personally I much preferred Quantum.

All in all, if you've never sailed either before, and Ovation was the first, you wouldn't realise the things that aren't there, and they won't make massive differences to the overall experience. Also, depending on what you prefer to do onboard, you may not notice those things anyway even if on Quantum. For me though, Quantum was way better.

Thanks so much for your reply. I think we will switch to Quantum.

Thanks Big M.

we were on Ovation in May last and had 3 Golden Concierge in the lounge. How does it differ on Quantum as we will be sailing on her in January 2020. Also will the solarium be open to all guests on Quantum

Thanks

1 hour ago, nicben said:

Also will the solarium be open to all guests on Quantum

Are you referring to it being adult-only?  I believe the "Solarium" section on all RC ships is the "adult only" section.  Some are more separated than others.  For example - it seems Oasis and Quantum class ships all have it right at the forward end of the pool deck, overlooking the bow, while Voyager class ships (I looked at Explorer as I've been on that one) have the Solarium section between the forward elevators/stairs and the rest of the pool deck.

1 hour ago, nicben said:

we were on Ovation in May last and had 3 Golden Concierge in the lounge. How does it differ on Quantum as we will be sailing on her in January 2020. 

Quantum will have a dry dock make over in Nov so there might be a few changes. With her move out of the China market things will also change in terms how things work on the ship - won't know for sure till she starts sailing after dry dock.