Transportation from Ports to City

bj24

Does Azamara provide transportation from where we dock in Venice to St. Mark’s Square or somewhere similar? This is my first cruise with Azamara and I thought I read they provide free transportation from all piers to city centers.

3 hours ago, Deval said:

There is a vaporetto stop right next to the San Basilio pier where the ship should dock, very convenient.

There is a stop very close to the terminal. We had a problem here because the only place that sells tickets there is the little shop at the base of the bridge there. Unfortunately it doesn’t open until about 10:00am. We got there before that so couldn’t get a ticket. We ended up walking to the Rialto bridge which is quite a good walk, especially in midsummer in the heat.

If my memory serves me correctly, cruise lines are not permitted to provide water transport to places in Venice; the City of Venice (port authority?) provide water buses. However, it's been some years since I've been on these because we prefer to walk.

4 hours ago, crazyman3 said:

If my memory serves me correctly, cruise lines are not permitted to provide water transport to places in Venice; the City of Venice (port authority?) provide water buses. However, it's been some years since I've been on these because we prefer to walk.

Venice is not a tender port the ship will be docking, so they would not be providing water transport anyway.

Sorry to contradict you but I do recall being 'tendered' into the city even though we were tied up to a pier. I think that this was aboard either a Princess or a P & O ship in the late 90s or early 00s. 

Of course, it is now much easier to walk into the heart of Venice.