US State Dept registeration

tvlbum

I've done so for ordinary cruises ... if we were ever to take the rtw (which I'm sure we won't because DH doesn't want trips longer than 14 days and that was BEFORE his vision declined so precipitously) I'd be very sure to do so.  It could get difficult listing all the countries though!  I had some problems when we only had 6-7 countries to deal with.

Mura

• Like 1

Its a relatively new program.  If you run into problems on the trip, or if you're going into areas that have problems, it helps to have the consulates and embassies know where you are and how to reach you.  It's called the STEP Program (Smart Traveler).

https://step.state.gov/

It's not all that crucial if you're doing a standard European trip but could be important if you are in more insecure areas.  It also helps if you or your travel companion should become ill.

Mura

• Like 2

I found it helpful when I was doing aid work in Afghanistan.  They sent regular alerts to me, and it made my family back home in the US feel better.  I never thought about using it for a cruise, but I think it would be a good idea if your cruise visits some "dicey" areas.

I would think if you are  on a cruise the ship would have  a manifest of the pax  & those that may  be ashore 

Should some unrest happen they  can notify the proper authorities  that citizens  are in that Country & did not return to the ship 

I would  hope that if unrest broke out  before the ship docked  that they would abort docking  there

JMO