Cost of internet

grovesteve

I have four upcoming NCL cruises planned and we are Platnium plus on NCL so I love NCL. Current we are on a Princess ship and their cost of internet is almost free compared to MCL. You can get four devices with unlimited time, great download speeds and streaming for $100 total. The same on NCL is over $1000. Why? If only you want is one device it’s $60 per week if you purchased ahead of time or $70 per week if purchased on the ship. Crazy for the price diffetanc with NCL

I agree, it is outrageously stupid. It’s $315 for 15 days one device unlimited for my cruise next month. We are a family of four and will have to share. Normally I completely disconnect on my week long cruises  but need some WiFi contact on a 15 day. Until we all start saying enough is enough, myself included, NCL is going to squeeze every dime out of us. 

Yes. NCL's prices for internet are high.

On Royal regular price for unlimited surf is $15.99pd and surf&stream is $19.99pd, but they often discount it and surf&stream can be had for $13.99-14.99.

I just had to bite a bullet and pay about $360 for 14 days of internet on Gem. I hope it is fast enough to use VPN.

The cost is absurd. Often times on RCI Oasis Class, unlimited wifi (fast enough to stream video) can be purchased for less than $10/day during a sale. NCL's price has nothing to do with "supply and demand." It's more so, "how much can we rip people off by providing a product that's inferior (yet much more expensive) than our competitors?"

• Like 1

Suffice to say, as end user - satellite WiFI on NCL is a poor return on "investment", even when it's sometimes "free" - the only way that I could "cheer" for it, those complimentary 60 minutes we've earned with our Platinum status.   Cheerleaders & minority NCLH shareholders would disagree, that I respecfully agree, insofar as this board is for the critics.  

Princess's MedallionNet being rolled out to more ships in their fleet, according to sources - are superior, faster & easy on one's wallet - deployment of newest & superior technologies that rival & exceed land-based broadband speed & supporting huge # of users, at the same time ... claims of 5,000 to 6,000 nodes.  https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/om-preview-modules/medallion-net.html

The only times that we used additional MB/minutes were for urgent matters - debited against, usually available OBC - but for those that never had to deal with families & friends in pallative care while away on a break, it would never be understood while a few of us maintained some connectivity at sea.  

Obviously, this alone doesn't account for talks of folks switching to MSC especially with their status match program.  Some of our friends will continued to book & sail with NCL while others, including our BIL just book with another cruiseline, as they aren't sailing with land-based CAS offers.