Trying to get a mental picture of an Alaska Cruise

Sean401

I’ve never been on an Alaska cruise. I’m thinking of going this July probably with HAL. I am wondering what days are like. Is it mostly a matter of views while you are sailing or are excursions at the ports the big highlight?

in terms of whether I am picturing sweaters anytime outdoors even if it is July plus raincoats. 

I am guessing we will need a better telephoto lens for the DLSR.

in terms of the main pool I figure that the roof will be closed.

all in all it. Seems like a great idea and the polar opposite of a Caribbean cruise.

6 hours ago, Sean401 said:

I’ve never been on an Alaska cruise. I’m thinking of going this July probably with HAL. I am wondering what days are like. Is it mostly a matter of views while you are sailing or are excursions at the ports the big highlight?

in terms of whether I am picturing sweaters anytime outdoors even if it is July plus raincoats. 

I am guessing we will need a better telephoto lens for the DLSR.

in terms of the main pool I figure that the roof will be closed.

all in all it. Seems like a great idea and the polar opposite of a Caribbean cruise.

Alaska is early ports around 7:00 AM with some long days ashore.  To be ready to go ashore, many passengers arise at 5:00 AM for breakfast and to watch docking.  Early risers mean earlier retirement so there are not too many passengers wandering around after 11:00 PM.  Here is a link to the daily activities of a typical HAL Alaska cruise:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/on-locations-specific-cruises/alaska-2017-noordam-when-where-daily-activities

Alaska requires layered clothing that can be removed as the temps warm.  This means lightweight long underwear for high-speed catamarans during whale watching.  Since Southeast Alaska is in a rainforest, there is lots of rain, so excursion backpacks need to have an emergency poncho.  Plan for rain and, just as the Alaskans, celebrate the days without rain.

Super telephoto lenses are a waste on moving boats but good for ground excursions.  My 40-150mm with 1.4X adapter works great.

HAL indoor pool roofs will be opened based on the weather.  Days may start at temp in the 40's and rise to mid-70's.

Alaska is very casual with lots of flannel shirts and jeans.  Fortunately, HAL requires on collared shirts and slacks for Gala Nights.

Enjoy your cruise planning and feel free to ask lots of questions on the HAL Forum.  When you choose your cruise, please join your HAL roll call.

The previous poster gives good advice and the pictures are great.  Here is a link to some more pictures.

https://markandkarenalaska2011.shutterfly.com/pictures

I am a little more positive on the use of a telephoto lens.  I used a 18 -270 for most of the pictures.  I also had a 35X bridge camera, from which I generated some good photos.  Some at the full 35X and a moving boat are a little blurry, but were worth the shot because there are also some good ones.

• 2 weeks later...

One misconception I had before taking my first Alaska cruise, was that there would abundant whale viewing from the ship. While you may see some whales from the ship, the serious whale and other wildlife viewing is more likely to come from small boat excursions.

I can tell you a story of 2 July 4th cruises.

First one - constant rain with sleet, lots of fog and bitter cold. Ship sold out of jackets. Visability of ship was minimal at best at times.

Second cruise - bright sun, needed suntan lotion. Got off the ship in jeans and was really hot. Went back to the ship to change into shorts.

Both cruises happened the same week. July should have good weather but always be prepared for rain and cold temps.

------------

If you want to see whales, book a whale watching trip. Glacier days should be spent outside for viewing opportunities. 

I much prefer Alaska as there is so much to see and do. Caribbean is boring to be compared to Alaska.

You'll love it!  I went four years in a row when I first discovered cruising Alaska.  

I've see quite a lot of wildlife from the deck, but yes, the whales are usually spouts and flukes from a distance.  Usually.  One time, however, a humpback breached three times, down the length of the ship, not far away at all.  Better than anything I saw on my whale-watching trip.  It's all up to luck...and spending lots of time watching.

Yes, it may be quite cool, even cold if you're spending a lot of time on deck on glacier day, for example.  It will probably be rainy at least part of the time.  Take layers, including something waterproof.

I love the sailing part, watching the scenery and wildlife.  I also love the ports.  They're pretty easy to explore and have some awesome attractions and opportunities to get close to nature.  

Telephoto lenses are important if you're looking to capture good photos.  I have a Canon Powershot non DSLR bridge camera with 50x telephoto that I bought for my last trip to Alaska.  I love it.     

On HAL, they did open and close the pool cover so you could swim most days.  

Have fun. 

More detail on what to pack:

https://www.melindabrasher.com/2019/03/packing-for-alaska-cruise.html

I don't know which glaciers you'll be seeing, but HAL often goes to Glacier Bay.  Here are some tempting pics:

https://www.melindabrasher.com/2014/09/glacier-bay-alaska.html 

It's definitely a change from Caribbean! LOL! There's always something to see I felt like, but you had to be watching. Compared to Caribbean where it's lots of ocean. Like others said, to get the best wildlife views, you'll want to go on excursions for those. We loved everything we did on ours. Saw many things! We didn't really care too much about seeing whales, so we didn't do any of those. I also carried my telephoto lens on my camera, 18-270.

On Carnival the pool has a roof that's closed. For our cruise in July, it was more on the cooler side, so there wasn't a lot of use of the pool by many people. Really only some of the kids were using it. A few adults using the hot tub on occasion though. Our best excursion was the helicopter on Mendenhall Glacier - that was amazing!!

There are a lot of things to do, so I just say pick some things and go for it. You will get so many different opinions on what to do, what's the best, etc... but you really can't go wrong! LOL!

19 hours ago, quack2 said:

One misconception I had before taking my first Alaska cruise, was that there would abundant whale viewing from the ship. While you may see some whales from the ship, the serious whale and other wildlife viewing is more likely to come from small boat excursions.

We saw whales from the ship and at first thought they were juveniles, they were so small.  Then we realized that we were 10 - 12 stories above the water.

21 hours ago, quack2 said:

Agree with this 100%.  My biggest regret is not taking a separate whale watching excursion.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...