Military Benefits

Akaicb

Hello, 

As some people are aware Princess has a very generous military benefit for active and veteran service personnel.   They give refundable OBC, amount depends on the length of the cruise.

I wanted to pass along some information that people that use this benefit may not be aware of.  While searching for some information regarding baggage sizes with the airlines that I will be using this May for my B2B to Alaska I found that they also have military benefits.  Each airline is different but in most cases the baggage fees were waved for the service personnel and sometimes their companion as well. 

This was for Air Transat and Westjet,  I have not checked any other airlines but it was a nice surprise to find this on their websites.

Have a great day

Kim

• Like 1

More detail re Air Canada Military baggage benefit:

Eligible active and retired members of the Canadian and U.S. military are now entitled to check up to three pieces of checked baggage, each weighing up to 32 kg (70 lb) each. The allowance is applicable to the member of the military and is valid for both personal and duty travel.

5 minutes ago, cruisinnorth said:

I was discharged in 1965 from the Army and I get the OBC every time I cruise with Princess.  So this is not just for active duty people.

Dave

I think he was talking about the airlines and not Princess' military policy.

15 minutes ago, cruisinnorth said:

I was discharged in 1965 from the Army and I get the OBC every time I cruise with Princess.  So this is not just for active duty people.

Dave

Dave,

I was responding to this thread that is about free luggage on airlines.

As far as OBC yes it is for active, retired and separated. My husband and son both benefit from this!

Edited by cheeseclan

23 minutes ago, sunnytag said:

Don't think the veteran/military obc  is refundable. 

If you check your Cruise Personalizer you won’t see an asterisk * next to the Military Benefits credit because it’s refundable.  Most other types of credit have the * because they’re non-refundable.

*Please enjoy using these credits onboard as they are not refundable.

3 hours ago, Bubbs33 said:

Eligible active and retired members of the Canadian and U.S. military are now entitled to check up to three pieces of checked baggage, each weighing up to 32 kg (70 lb) each. The allowance is applicable to the member of the military and is valid for both personal and duty travel.

This benefit states it’s for AD and retired members so guessing it doesn’t apply to veterans who didn’t retire from a military career.  Thanks to veteran Alan Buckelew most veterans are eligible for their wonderful Military Benefit. 👍

7 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

This benefit states it’s for AD and retired members so guessing it doesn’t apply to veterans who didn’t retire from a military career.  Thanks to veteran Alan Buckelew most veterans are eligible for their wonderful Military Benefit. 👍

Not certain of the details of different classes of veterans, however this is the description of the ID you need to be able to present:

https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/aircanada/portal/documents/PDF/agents/en/ca/policies/military_baggage_policy.pdf

22 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Airline Benefit: Is that for Active or Veteran's?

For the two airlines I listed it was for Active and Veterans.  One of the airlines would even take identification of military service from countries other than US and Canada.

20 hours ago, Bubbs33 said:

Thanks for looking up the details about Air Canada.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

My husband was only part of the military for 2 1/2 years, but he is eligible for this benefit.  I would not call 2 1/2 years a military career, so I would believe it does apply to all veterans. 

9 hours ago, Akaicb said:

My husband was only part of the military for 2 1/2 years, but he is eligible for this benefit.  I would not call 2 1/2 years a military career, so I would believe it does apply to all veterans. 

Thanks for sharing his experience...a nice thanks by Air Canada.

5 hours ago, sunnytag said:

Astro Flyer.....thanks I did not know military obc was refundable.  Never had any left over...:classic_blush:

You’re welcome...in the past we’ve rarely had any either although with recent offers that include free tips & OBC (plus FCD, TA, shareholder, Loyalty-refundable) we may now have some refundable credit to be sent by check to us.

Edited by Astro Flyer

What the other posters didn't post was this part of the policy:

"Please note that the baggage allowance for military personnel does not apply to itineraries which include connecting flights with other airlines (including Star Alliance member airlines). Regular baggage allowance and fees will apply."

and Air Canada's policies do not state what are acceptable forms of ID for US military AD/retired/veteran. However, looking at the list of Canadian forms of ID for military, it may very well include all veteran's.

Here's the list of acceptable forms of canadian military IDs:

- DND ID card for National Defense (NDI 20)

- Record of Service Card (NDI 75)

- Any Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) Benefit Card-Discharge Certificate from any branch of the

Canadian Military-Statement of Service from any branch of the Canadian Military

- Certificate of Service (CF 54 or CF 75) from any branch of the Canadian Military

- Valid DND Temporary ID card (NDI 10)

- Canadian Forces or Former member CFOne card (accompanied by photo ID)

- Membership Card from the National Association of Federal Retirees bearing the mention Canadian Armed Forces Veteran (accompanied by photo ID)