Aberdeen New Cruise Port - 2020

Eglesbrech

The Aberdeen cruise port which is currently being built and will open in 2020 has announced the first booking  - from Azamara.

I wonder if P &O will add this to the selection of ports as it will be a deep water suitable for most of the fleet to berth, with perhaps the exception of the Iona (but I’m not technical so others will tell me if I am wrong).

If we have any issues with European ports (eg the recent Amsterdam situation) then perhaps P&O should give their business to a UK port instead. Anyway, a new place for ships to visit come 2020.

Anyone know of any other new cruise ports planned in the next few years?

Aberdeen already have a few bookings for 2020 - mainly by CMV's Marco Polo, but Azamara Quest and two of the Silversea ships, Silver Wind and Silver Spirit plus Saga's Spirit of Adventure.

The bigger ships will probably still go to Invergordon, as tours to the Highlands are popular from there, but Aberdeen should do well from the small - mid-sized ships calling between the Orkney / Shetland Isles and the Edinburgh ports.

Edited by showingdiva

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Have to say it would be my choice of somewhere to go on a cruise.  Rainy, a bit dour!  And yes I have been there.

Obviously been there on the wrong day then Jean.  There is a lot of see and do around the granite city and it does not always rain.

• Like 1

We have been to various parts of Scotland and had varying weather but also some beautiful weather, we have also had many summer holidays in Torquay and had lousy weather. Wouldnt not go anywhere in UK if worried about the weather whatever time of the year I can always put a coat on and have an umbrella.🌂

• Haha 1

Again the last thing I think about when booking a cruise is what the weather is going to be because in this crazy world we live in at the moment nobody can judge the weather. We have done Baltic cruises 4 times and in general had very good weather on our last one with Princess we didnt get off the ship because we had visited all the places available on excursions and we spent the whole day relaxing on deck around a very quiet pool. On P&O when we were in St. Petersburg the weather was red hot and was hotter than it was in the Med. Norwegian fjords and Land of Midnight Sun are our favourite cruises and spectacular scenery whatever the weather.

3 hours ago, darknightsdespiser said:

That would be amazing, would stop many of us having to take extra days off and spending loads of money just to get to Southampton!

Possibly only be used as a port of call cannot imagine many cruise lines using Aberdeen as a embarkation/disembarkation port.